What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2016, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 07:34 PM by earmuffs.)
RE: What are you playing?
(02-10-2016 11:11 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 05:21 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Thumbsup

Playing some Cities Skylines. Turned off money and I'm trying to build a nice/realistic looking city.
Here's my transport hub.

[Image: 20161002224637_1.jpg]

It looks alright right?
It's actually 6 different buildings. The train station (obviously) which serves as inter-city travel. It also has a subway station underground.
The smaller train station on the other side serves as a cargo station. It's not my main one I have that by my port on the other side (you can see it in the distance).
The building across the road from the train station is the bus station. The blue building next to that is the bus depot where the buses get fixed and stuff.
And finally, the small yellow building to the far north is the taxi deport.

CHALLENGE!

[Image: MetroPittsburg.jpg]

Here's the topography of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the City of Bridges. Try to make a functional city out of this clusterfuck of the Allegheny, Ohio, and Monongahela rivers; smack dab in the middle of all those hills. Great place to build a fort, terrible place to build a city. Tongue

[Image: pittsburgh_skyline_web.jpg]

You know you want an excuse to build a hillside trolly. Big Grin

Maybe after this city. This one isn't based off of anything I just want it to look good.
But the idea to build a city based off a real city is tempting.

My dock and a bit of industry. I'm using a mod to force buildings to grow (you zone areas for certain buildings to grow but they only grow under certain conditions. I have 0 people living in my city so nothing will grow, thus the mod), but they're lacking all the essentials such as water and power so once they eventually get all that most the buildings will start to look more vibrant.

All that garbage looking mess behind the two main ship loading cranes is actually my container yard. Just a poor angle.

[Image: 20161003184948_1.jpg]

And here's a zoomed back shot to give you an idea of the whole area.
You can see my wind farm. It's not gonna generate enough electricity I'm gonna have to build a nuclear power plant later it's just more for show.
My transport hub, my dock, canal (which I didn't put in for the sake of it, there was like a river thing there and so I put in a canal to tidy it up. Much like the sea walls) and waterfront. The waterfront has the stadium (that you could see in my last shot) and it's going to have lots of entertainment and tourist things. Nightlife. So no high rise buildings. My CBD (and thus skyscrapers) are going to be in that large grass area between the waterfront and the transport hub. Than it's going to be small highrise buildings tapering off from that past the transport hub and following the highway north. The green farm looking things in the distance (with the pond that's going to be sewerage pond) is where my primary industrial area is going to be. Highrise apartments along the beach front.
And than basically the rest is going to be subburbs.

[Image: 20161003185019_1.jpg]

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-10-2016, 01:52 AM
(03-10-2016 01:01 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 11:11 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  CHALLENGE!

[Image: MetroPittsburg.jpg]

Here's the topography of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the City of Bridges. Try to make a functional city out of this clusterfuck of the Allegheny, Ohio, and Monongahela rivers; smack dab in the middle of all those hills. Great place to build a fort, terrible place to build a city. Tongue

[Image: pittsburgh_skyline_web.jpg]

You know you want an excuse to build a hillside trolly. Big Grin

Maybe after this city. This one isn't based off of anything I just want it to look good.
But the idea to build a city based off a real city is tempting.

We already have Pittsburgh, don't copy it. I was curious to see an un-fucked city built on the same real estate without having to deal with centuries worth of previous infrastructure (including that aforementioned pre-Revolutionary War military fort). Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-10-2016, 03:33 AM
Ohh a reimagination? Consider
I could do something like that at some point.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-10-2016, 04:43 AM
(03-10-2016 03:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ohh a reimagination? Consider
I could do something like that at some point.

That's the idea.

[Image: map.gif]

Look on is despair! It's a fucking nightmare, especially when you take into account the fact that half of these roads are one way, and another good chunk are dedicated bus lanes. Plus with the freeways over head, it's possible for there to be up to 3 layers of roads. It's plays havoc with GPS systems.

Here's a cleaner one, without any legend or labeling.

[Image: il_fullxfull.237915044.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Oblivion. Again.

I had a copy years ago, but I gave it to a buddy's son. When I took my daughter to Toys R Us on Saturday, I found it again with both expansions for $15. New.

Couldn't pass it up.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
04-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Got my highways in, they're finished (that's not a sudden end in the highway that's a tunnel that goes under the river). All I'll need to add to them is the occasional on and off ramp.
First two suburbs in. Washington (game chose the name not me) is the rich one on the mouth of the harbour. It's gonna have high rise apartments all around the coastline and medium high rise in the rest of the suburb. The suburb at the bottom isn't finished, just need to go over it with my tree brush tool and add a couple more streets. Might expand it depending on how it looks after that. I haven't designated it a suburb yet so it's not named (name ideas welcome or else the games random generated names gonna have to do) yet.
More expensive highrise apartments along the riverfront.

[Image: 20161005165120_1.jpg]

05-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Time. Splitters. Mother. Fucking. 2.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
05-10-2016, 11:26 AM
(05-10-2016 10:12 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Time. Splitters. Mother. Fucking. 2.

Ha! That game was hilarious.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
05-10-2016, 12:36 PM
(05-10-2016 11:26 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 10:12 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Time. Splitters. Mother. Fucking. 2.

Ha! That game was hilarious.

Going to attempt to conplete the game and all of the challenges.

05-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Lesson learned. Never build your base out of wood in Rimworld.