What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2016, 07:47 AM
RE: What are you playing?
[Image: Harvest.Moon-.A.New.Beginning.full.1148822.jpg]

For those unable to read Japaneses, that is 'Harvest Moon: A New Beginning' for the 3DS.

This was the last of the Marvelous AQL developed games that were localized and published by Natsume for the North American and UE markets. For the record, Natsume has been publishing these games since the very first title released on the Super Nintendo. They also own the rights to the Harvest Moon brand, which they've continued to develop games under while outsourcing development duties to other studios. The original developers, Marvelous AQL, have also continued the series and now publishes their games through XSEED, under the 'Story of Season' name.

I actually have their next follow up, Story of Season, but I prefer the earlier title. A New Beginning just looks and feels like a traditional Harvest Moon game, while the Story of Season follow up simply does not. SoS is a really slow burn, and that's judging it against Harvest Moon standards, of which all of their games take a while to ramp up; but SoS is punishingly slow both with it's drip feed of mechanics and punishing stamina levels (you're lucky if you can chop down a single tree in one day without resting). It is also needlessly obtuse, in time consuming and frustrating ways. Gone is the delivery bin, where you can simply drop off whatever items and produce you need shipped off for profits that day. Instead you have to deal with wandering merchant caravans that have their own schedule, are not available everyday, and require you to trek across your farm, the wilderness, and to the other side of the village just to see if they've showed up that day; all a frustrating waste of time and effort. Selling your harvest doesn't need to be that stupidly complicated, but it is. Yet what bothers me the most is that not only did the game take a huge turn with it's art ascetic, but it's implantation is both duller looking, and yet also performs far worse. A New Beginning runs great, but SoS chugs down into sub 20 FPS territory in certain locations, including your own homestead. The place where you spend most of your time, your own farm, runs like shit while looking worse than the previous title running on the same hardware. Also I have a New 3DS, so I can only imagine how much worse it would be on a normal 3DS.

So yeah, Story of Seasons can go fuck itself, the previous game is the superior product. They're both not quite as good as Stardew Valley, but I'd already beaten that one.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2016, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2016 05:47 PM by Free Thought.)
You know what's a really nice addition to HOI4? The goddamned Spearhead command. Thank you, !.3 update.

I played as Australia for a bit, first game I went the Commonwealth focus route, my 7 divisions formed the driving thrust that pushed Italy out of Africa entirely. unfortunately the Japanese started up before that work was entirely finished, so I had to rush deploy my training units to try to defend Bismark and Papua; I had lost all hope of holding the Solomons. I held for quite some time before the US giant woke from her slumber.... and promptly did very little...

Then decided to make my own faction with the US; by 1939 I was at war with Japan with the US at my back. Took a while for the US to establish naval superiority, but we eventually got all of Japan's island territories outside of the Home Islands. Then we stalled because the US wouldn't move their bloody ships to blockade the Home Islands...

Yesterday I installed the Road to '56 mod pack and am running a German campaign. I wanted to give the new Autonomy system a good look. It's interesting, but what has really got me is the ability to enlist Puppet manpower to my forces; I'm using three of my 4 puppets (Slovakia, Croatia, Yugoslavia) to form resistance suppression units. 4 Cav, and MPs. I have to supply the equipment, but it's saving me a great deal on manpower.

Normally I use the Kreigsmarine to block the entrance to the Baltic and have no problems; guess the AI got some improvements in Torch, because the British and French rushed their fleets into the area and decimated my small navy, and threw their ships at the Baltic too, decimating my Baltic assets as well.

I'm going to try again with minor route modifications.

Also; here is a sea-going Italian tank division:
[Image: C4AC35398D12476F599697DC3A09371F9FD12C59]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
21-12-2016, 05:44 PM
So... As Germany, you can't rush the Dutch for their rubber now since the Dutch East Indies is a real nation now, albeit a puppet one... Also it's impossible to invade them because of distance...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-12-2016, 08:13 PM
(21-12-2016 05:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  So... As Germany, you can't rush the Dutch for their rubber now since the Dutch East Indies is a real nation now, albeit a puppet one... Also it's impossible to invade them because of distance...

How will Germany survive without condoms.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
21-12-2016, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2016 08:34 PM by earmuffs.)
(21-12-2016 05:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  So... As Germany, you can't rush the Dutch for their rubber now since the Dutch East Indies is a real nation now, albeit a puppet one... Also it's impossible to invade them because of distance...

Son, fuck rushing Netherlands. Rush Poland and Russia. Tongue
Hit Poland early (just fabricate a claim), they're harder to fight because your armed forces aren't up to scratch but Poland's army is pretty trash so it's very doable. If you hit them early enough there's not enough world tension (needs to be less than 25%) for the allies to do shit, plus they're not exactly gagging for war that early into the game. And then when the Soviets get the purge the officer's event they get stuck with a -50% organisation penalty. I mean Soviet troops are trash enough as it is, but with -50% org... holy cow talk about a cake walk.

The key with Germany isn't massing divisions it's getting around 100 infantry and 24 tank divisions and getting them all fully equipped. And make them pretty big divisions but not too big. I like to aim for 20 combat-width because battles are usually around 80-100 combat-width so you can have 4-5 divisions fighting at a time. If you have the combat-width too big such as 30, then if the combat-width in a battle is 80 you can only fit 2 divisions and you'll have 20 combat-width being wasted in battle. So while your divisions are bigger, you actually have fewer troops fighting and are doing less damage.
So divisions with around 40-50 organisation, 20 combat width (usually something like 3 columns of infantry all the way down except the last 2 rows and fill the last 2 rows with anti-air and/or artillery) and fully equipped with good support units (recon and engineer are a must and I like to throw on a field hospital (or maintenance for tank divisions) and an artillery). You will destroy.

[Image: 20161216124751_1.jpg]

Not even at war with the Allies yet. I was able to end the war with the Soviets and Poland (two separate wars) so I don't even get rebels fucking up my industry that I need to suppress.

Nothing but a shit ton of industry which is now mine, one less headache to worry about and a clear path to help Japan take on China and easily take on India when I attack the Allies. All by the start of 1939.

World conquest here I come. Tanks, submarines and rifles don't need rubber. Neither do anti-air guns. The British can have the skies, I'll have the land thank you very much.

[Image: oscar.png]
22-12-2016, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2016 08:52 PM by houseofcantor.)
It's that time again...

[Image: xhvcnuvjjm3jwkezb9q3.jpg]

Laugh out load

Finally some Rome II for this dude. Wink

Laterz...

I failed horribly in the prologue, got demoted and sold into slavery. Laugh out load

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Start's promising, but many games do.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-12-2016, 08:28 AM
Three months old and 75% off ain't really the most promising thing I heard all day. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2016, 08:30 AM
(23-12-2016 08:26 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Start's promising, but many games do.

It's so good. If you enjoyed Human Revolution, you'll enjoy Mankind Divided. It's an excellent example of the Immersive Sim genre.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
23-12-2016, 08:34 AM
(23-12-2016 08:30 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-12-2016 08:26 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Start's promising, but many games do.

It's so good. If you enjoyed Human Revolution, you'll enjoy Mankind Divided. It's an excellent example of the Immersive Sim genre.

I enjoyed even Invisible Wars Wink

Christmas this year will be pretty interesting it appear.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.