What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(04-01-2017 08:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 02:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I tried (and beat) Lords of the Fallen. If Dark Souls is any harder then it simply isn't my kind of game.

I enjoy slow, methodical action games. Monster Hunter is my motherfuckin' jam. But it seems like at every point in Dark Souls 3's design when they had to pick a path, they always went with 'fuck over the player'. Both games have you managing your Stamina, and it gets depleted by some actions. In MH, it gets used up by sprinting and blocking attacks with a shield, and powerful attacks with certain weapons drain it as well. In DS3, everything you do drains Stamina. Running, blocking attacks, casting spells, and even the most basic of attacks. So you can very easily find yourself up against even a single enemy who is very aggressive (Knight of Lothric) and can drain all of your stamina with blocking their relentless assault, leaving you with nothing to attack with, and leaving you staggered and your defense down; allowing for them to take away most of your health with a hit or two.

Monster Hunter is goofy and fun. Dark Souls is dour, and is trying to fellate Tolkien so hard I'm afraid it's going to choke itself to death; the opening cinematic had almost a dozen made up proper nouns, without any goddamn context as to what they are, or why I should care. MH gives you allies, in both offline and co-op online. DS3 gives you fuck all, it just takes. Co-op isn't just an option, it requires the spending of in game resources to enable. Plus playing online opens you up to invasion from other players, you know, in case the game wasn't ruining your shit enough by itself. Will offline save you? Nope. Then the game with randomly spawn in AI controlled invaders to fuck you over, and they have the same bullshit advantages as the enemies (seemingly unlimited stamina, allowing them to attack you relentlessly without consequence).

In MH you work your way up, learning the enemies and their attacks, getting a feel for how they move and attack, so you can start figuring out how better to fight back. You're not going to run into a monster that can one-shot-kill you until you are very far into the game, and even them, you'll see it coming and have a good chance at evading it. DS3 just throws you into boss fights without warning, and expect you to dance; this inevitably leads to you dying over and over again. But that's not enough, because the save/spawn points (bonfires) are always a huge trek away, which means you have to fight your way back to the boss to even retry (and best of luck saving your potions and spells fucker). But the cherry on top is the souls mechanic itself. If you fail a hunt in MH, you're out the entry fee and whatever items you brought with you and used; trying again is as simple as restocking and purchasing the mission again. If you die in a DS3 boss, you drop all of your souls; effectively the XP you get from defeating enemies, which is used not just to level you up, but also as currency. So every time you die, you're broke. Now you can get back and recover your souls, but if you die again without retrieving them (which tends to be very likely), then your initial pile of souls vanishes. Fuck you, even if you manage to get back to the same spot, they're gone.; They didn't need to do that, they had to put extra work into the game to fuck you over that much harder. If the soul piles didn't fucking arbitrarily disappear, I might still be playing it, because at least I could keep trying to get back to my 2 levels worth of missing souls, instead of having them (and all of my progress) vanish because of bullshit combat mechanics designed to fuck over the player.

Well, now I'm sure that I won't even try Dark Souls.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2017, 03:59 PM
(04-01-2017 07:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  'CornAndBacon'?

Earmuffs was taken and I refused to have a number in my name or do some stupid shit like xEarmuffsx or whatever the youth do these days.

[Image: oscar.png]
05-01-2017, 08:58 AM
(04-01-2017 03:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 07:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  'CornAndBacon'?

Earmuffs was taken and I refused to have a number in my name or do some stupid shit like xEarmuffsx or whatever the youth do these days.

Was "cunt" taken?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-01-2017, 08:59 AM
(05-01-2017 08:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 03:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Earmuffs was taken and I refused to have a number in my name or do some stupid shit like xEarmuffsx or whatever the youth do these days.

Was "cunt" taken?

Can't have profanity.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-01-2017, 10:23 AM
(05-01-2017 08:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 08:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Was "cunt" taken?

Can't have profanity.

Fuckin' cunts, right?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
05-01-2017, 12:21 PM
(05-01-2017 10:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 08:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Can't have profanity.

Fuckin' cunts, right?

Well.. no.. I'm gay..

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-01-2017, 12:27 PM
(05-01-2017 12:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 10:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Fuckin' *Dicks/assholes*, right?

Well.. no.. I'm gay..

Better?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-01-2017, 01:24 PM
(05-01-2017 12:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 10:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Fuckin' cunts, right?

Well.. no.. I'm gay..

Fuckin' muffs...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
06-01-2017, 02:17 AM
Mass Effect 2 because it is free on Origin.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-01-2017, 09:33 AM
Me and Cait as raider overboss and bodyguard in FO4. Big Grin
[Image: 3QhzyVP.jpg]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post