What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2017, 01:08 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(11-03-2017 12:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I did look into doing Pittsburgh EK but Pittsburgh sucks. Sorry. There's no coast, how can I have ports and marinas and beaches when all I got to work with is a river split??

That's the point of the challenge. Trying to cram a sensible city into a triangle shaped point of land created by the confluence of 3 rivers. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2017, 02:51 AM
I looked it up... got Zero Dawn last Thursday, 120 hours original girl; eight hours new girl. Yikes. Gasp

Oh! And now I've gotten sucked back into it. I guess I can sleep when I'm dead. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2017, 04:27 AM
I'll be playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands shortly. Cool
11-03-2017, 05:08 AM
(11-03-2017 04:27 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  I'll be playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands shortly. Cool

That sounded really rough on the Giant Bombcast, like Rogue Warrior rough.

[Image: rogue-warrior-box.jpg]

Hope you have fun with it, and that it's not as bad as I fear.

11-03-2017, 05:53 AM
(11-03-2017 01:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 12:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I did look into doing Pittsburgh EK but Pittsburgh sucks. Sorry. There's no coast, how can I have ports and marinas and beaches when all I got to work with is a river split??

That's the point of the challenge. Trying to cram a sensible city into a triangle shaped point of land created by the confluence of 3 rivers. Rolleyes

My professional conclusion is that no city should be built in such location.

[Image: oscar.png]
11-03-2017, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2017 06:29 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(11-03-2017 05:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 01:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That's the point of the challenge. Trying to cram a sensible city into a triangle shaped point of land created by the confluence of 3 rivers. Rolleyes

My professional conclusion is that no city should be built in such location.

The city arose around Fort Pitt, itself a fortification built to replace Fort Duquesne during the Seven Years War. The original Duquesne dates back to 1754, with Pitt being finished in 1761. The city of Pittsburgh and the surrounding Allegheny Country arose from this singular point of fortification that predates the founding of the United States itself. Modern city planning wasn't a thing 250+ years ago in the Appalachian frontier. Another thing to remember, is that Pittsburgh is situated in the Appalachians, the eastern counterpart to the Rockies. Rivers made for the fastest travel through the mountains in the age before motor vehicles, dynamite, heavy land moving machinery, and the interstate highway system. Hence why holding such a point was of critical strategic importance to conflicts of the region, such as the aforementioned Seven Years War and other smaller skirmishes with the natives.

But if that's too hard for you, I'm sure the city founders of Pittsburgh will understand your lack of Kiwi resolve. Tongue

11-03-2017, 10:25 AM
(11-03-2017 04:27 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  I'll be playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands shortly. Cool

I picked Ghost Recon up a few days ago and it's a pretty fun game. I like the fact that you can do whatever you want however you want. The gunplay is fun as well as the tactical side. I think you'll like it if you like that sort of game.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
11-03-2017, 11:22 AM
The whole local crew is likely to be on that Wildlands stuff in a minute. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2017, 04:28 PM
(11-03-2017 06:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 05:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  My professional conclusion is that no city should be built in such location.

The city arose around Fort Pitt, itself a fortification built to replace Fort Duquesne during the Seven Years War. The original Duquesne dates back to 1754, with Pitt being finished in 1761. The city of Pittsburgh and the surrounding Allegheny Country arose from this singular point of fortification that predates the founding of the United States itself. Modern city planning wasn't a thing 250+ years ago in the Appalachian frontier. Another thing to remember, is that Pittsburgh is situated in the Appalachians, the eastern counterpart to the Rockies. Rivers made for the fastest travel through the mountains in the age before motor vehicles, dynamite, heavy land moving machinery, and the interstate highway system. Hence why holding such a point was of critical strategic importance to conflicts of the region, such as the aforementioned Seven Years War and other smaller skirmishes with the natives.

But if that's too hard for you, I'm sure the city founders of Pittsburgh will understand your lack of Kiwi resolve. Tongue

The thing about modern city planning not existing 250 years ago is that we don't live 250 years ago.

[Image: oscar.png]
11-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Playing Shogun II Total war alternating with a replay of ME 2.