What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 06:00 PM
RE: What are you playing?
The issue with Andromeda is that I really feel like they're gonna do an Inquisition and ruin an amazing franchise by making a large open world game with not much interesting content.
This seems to be the thing these days, large open world. But large open world does not always mean quality. I want quality not quantity.

Jim Sterling's recent video on open world basically says exactly what me and my flatmate have been saying for the better part of a year or two.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-03-2017, 09:54 PM
169 turns into my first game of Civilization: Beyond Earth. Capital city is a bit low on food but other than that, going pretty well.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
17-03-2017, 10:02 PM
(17-03-2017 09:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  169 turns into my first game of Civilization: Beyond Earth. Capital city is a bit low on food but other than that, going pretty well.

In the top right, next to your mini-map, is an icon that looks like an eye. Click on that to bring up a bunch of view options you can toggle; including showing strategic resources, quest objects, expedition points, and the raw resource amount (food, power, production) of each tile. Especially showing the strategic resources (firaxite, float stone, xenomass) can help you get a better feel for where to start new colonies, keeping in mind that it's relatively easy to get to any resource within 4 hexes of your colony. Colonies can also stretch out to about 6 hexes away on their own given enough time and population, and sometimes up to 8 hexes away if that will help them connect with the territory of another colony (however your population can still only work tiles within 4 hexes of the colony).

Very helpful, and I didn't figure that out until my third game.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
17-03-2017, 10:05 PM
(17-03-2017 10:02 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 09:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  169 turns into my first game of Civilization: Beyond Earth. Capital city is a bit low on food but other than that, going pretty well.

In the top right, next to your mini-map, is an icon that looks like an eye. Click on that to bring up a bunch of view options you can toggle; including showing strategic resources, quest objects, expedition points, and the raw resource amount (food, power, production) of each tile. Especially showing the strategic resources (firaxite, float stone, xenomass) can help you get a better feel for where to start new colonies, keeping in mind that it's relatively easy to get to any resource within 4 hexes of your colony. Colonies can also stretch out to about 6 hexes away on their own given enough time and population, and sometimes up to 8 hexes away if that will help them connect with the territory of another colony (however your population can still only work tiles within 4 hexes of the colony).

Very helpful, and I didn't figure that out until my third game.

I knew something like that existed because Civ V also has it I just didn't know where it was.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-03-2017, 10:50 PM
(17-03-2017 10:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I knew something like that existed because Civ V also has it I just didn't know where it was.

It's a nice clean UI, but the Tutorial-Bot is kinda shit at explaining it to you.

Also, who did you start as?

17-03-2017, 11:02 PM
I would love to see a TTA group play Blackwake.

(17-03-2017 10:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 10:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I knew something like that existed because Civ V also has it I just didn't know where it was.

It's a nice clean UI, but the Tutorial-Bot is kinda shit at explaining it to you.

North Sea Alliance.

17-03-2017, 11:08 PM
(17-03-2017 11:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I would love to see a TTA group play Blackwake.

(17-03-2017 10:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  It's a nice clean UI, but the Tutorial-Bot is kinda shit at explaining it to you.

North Sea Alliance.

They're fun if you're on a watery world, as they can cheaply and quickly move water-based colonies. If you want to strike out after uncontested resources in the middle of seas and oceans, they're probably the best suited for it.

Not that the game tells you how to do that. The ability to move a water-based colony is hidden in the colony's production list. Instead of building a new unit or structure, there will be an Move option (that itself will take X amount of production, resulting in X amount of turns before the move takes place).

17-03-2017, 11:11 PM
(17-03-2017 11:08 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 11:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I would love to see a TTA group play Blackwake.

North Sea Alliance.

They're fun if you're on a watery world, as they can cheaply and quickly move water-based colonies. If you want to strike out after uncontested resources in the middle of seas and oceans, they're probably the best suited for it.

Not that the game tells you how to do that. The ability to move a water-based colony is hidden in the colony's production list. Instead of building a new unit or structure, there will be an Move option (that itself will take X amount of production, resulting in X amount of turns before the move takes place).

Yup, already figured that out. Really isn't hard to learn everything if you just pay close attention.

18-03-2017, 06:09 AM
(17-03-2017 09:03 AM)cactus Wrote:  I'm worried about Mass Effect Andromeda. It looks... kind of shitty Undecided
http://kotaku.com/people-are-ripping-apa...1793334047
[Image: Mass-Effect-Andromeda-GIF-5.gif]

I mean, I'll probably still pick it up at some point, but I'll definitely wait until some reviews of the full game start coming in. It looks like a rush-job from Bioware. Maybe the mission parts of the game will be better than the dialog sequences.

I agree with the video you posted. The character models don't look all that great considering they were taken 10 years apart. That said... Mass Effect has always been a great franchise and I think the gameplay will be fun. And from what I've seen it looks to be shaping up to be a pretty good looking game. Unfortunately I won't be able to pick it up until next week since I'm on vacation in DC this week.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
18-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Quote:That said... Mass Effect has always been a great franchise

So was Dragon Age, didn't stop Inquisition from happening.