What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2017, 07:12 PM
RE: What are you playing?
(17-03-2017 11:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 11:08 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  They're fun if you're on a watery world, as they can cheaply and quickly move water-based colonies. If you want to strike out after uncontested resources in the middle of seas and oceans, they're probably the best suited for it.

Not that the game tells you how to do that. The ability to move a water-based colony is hidden in the colony's production list. Instead of building a new unit or structure, there will be an Move option (that itself will take X amount of production, resulting in X amount of turns before the move takes place).

Yup, already figured that out. Really isn't hard to learn everything if you just pay close attention.

I take this statement back, took 200 turns to figure out how to destroy an alien nest.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
18-03-2017, 08:49 PM
(18-03-2017 07:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 11:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yup, already figured that out. Really isn't hard to learn everything if you just pay close attention.

I take this statement back, took 200 turns to figure out how to destroy an alien nest.

I like those. If you set your game up on a planet with really aggressive life, you can have a lot of fun (and progress) by playing a heavy military force early, but without pissing off any of your potential allies. Keep the peace long enough and eventually even the massive siege worms will be no problem, and most likely your neighbors can be frightened into cooperation. While the diplomacy leaves a lot to be desired, I did appreciate the rather simple take on intimidation/respect when getting other colonies to agree to cooperative pacts. Careful though, unlike in Civ 5, if you are allied with a colony and they go to war you are also automatically drawn into that war. None of the Civ 5 stuff where your allies will plead for your support, you get thrown right into it, often tanking your standing with the other colonies.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-03-2017, 08:53 PM
(18-03-2017 08:49 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 07:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I take this statement back, took 200 turns to figure out how to destroy an alien nest.

I like those. If you set your game up on a planet with really aggressive life, you can have a lot of fun (and progress) by playing a heavy military force early, but without pissing off any of your potential allies. Keep the peace long enough and eventually even the massive siege worms will be no problem, and most likely your neighbors can be frightened into cooperation. While the diplomacy leaves a lot to be desired, I did appreciate the rather simple take on intimidation/respect when getting other colonies to agree to cooperative pacts. Careful though, unlike in Civ 5, if you are allied with a colony and they go to war you are also automatically drawn into that war. None of the Civ 5 stuff where your allies will plead for your support, you get thrown right into it, often tanking your standing with the other colonies.

I have already experienced some of that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
18-03-2017, 09:20 PM
You two should play proper strategy games.
(purely for selfish reason so I have more to talk too about them.)
18-03-2017, 09:27 PM
(18-03-2017 09:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You two should play proper strategy games.

[Image: giphy.gif]

19-03-2017, 02:40 AM
(18-03-2017 09:27 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 09:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You two should play proper strategy games.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Don't give me that look, have you even played them?
19-03-2017, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 05:25 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(19-03-2017 02:40 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Don't give me that look, have you even played them?

They're not my cup of tea. There's a reason why I don't play EVE Online, and it's because I don't find spreadsheets compelling. I've tried a few different 4X games (Sins of a Solar Empire, Homeworld), but the only ones that clicked for me have been the Civilization games. Even in this series my favorite one is Beyond Earth, and I'm pretty sure that's because more so than the history based mainline series, I feel like I can really insert myself into the role of being the faction leader, but without being drowned by the overwhelming minutia of more needlessly complex titles. I like Beyond Earth, because I enjoy taking on the role of the leader of a particular sponsored colony ship. The suspension of disbelief is easier without the transitioning time periods and the historical facade that the mainline Civilization games are built around. It's easier to get into the head space and role-play the fictitious leader of an advance space faring colonization faction, rather than a particular historical figure that existed within a real and knowable historical context. I've enjoyed getting into the head space of Hutama, the gregarious leader of the Polystralia funded colony ships. Or the practicality and reverence for individual exceptionalism embodied by Arshia Kishk, the leader of the Al Falah colony ships. Beyond Earth, being near-future fiction, has just enough to make it familiar, but is alien enough to keep it interesting and engaging. Whereas I felt lost and without a reason to care at the start of most other 4X 'grand strategy' games. It's probably also why I like Mount & Blade, as it's scope is smaller and more personal.

19-03-2017, 06:06 AM
Well, that was fun. Just installed the latest drivers, jumped into Fallout 4, and noticed the game felt really weird. It seemed to be moving too fast, but not only that, it seemed to speed up even more when facing a certain direction. So after fucking around with some settings with the Fallout 4 Config Tool, I realized what the hell had happened. The new driver installation had wiped my custom settings for Fallout 4 that I made with the nVidia Inspector tool, namely the 75FPS limit. So what was happening is that the game was running well over 90FPS, and when I ran south facing Boston the frame dipped to the 80's and almost felt normal, but ass soon as I turned around and ran north a really sped up as the game was topping 140FPS. Since the game's simulation is directly tied to it's frame-rate, the widely fluctuating FPS was the cause of the game's wonkiness.

Thanks Bethesda, your game engine is weird as fuck!

19-03-2017, 06:49 AM
(19-03-2017 06:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, that was fun. Just installed the latest drivers, jumped into Fallout 4, and noticed the game felt really weird. It seemed to be moving too fast, but not only that, it seemed to speed up even more when facing a certain direction. So after fucking around with some settings with the Fallout 4 Config Tool, I realized what the hell had happened. The new driver installation had wiped my custom settings for Fallout 4 that I made with the nVidia Inspector tool, namely the 75FPS limit. So what was happening is that the game was running well over 90FPS, and when I ran south facing Boston the frame dipped to the 80's and almost felt normal, but ass soon as I turned around and ran north a really sped up as the game was topping 140FPS. Since the game's simulation is directly tied to it's frame-rate, the widely fluctuating FPS was the cause of the game's wonkiness.

Well.... If you needed to run North you were covered Thumbsup

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
19-03-2017, 07:05 AM
(19-03-2017 06:49 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 06:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, that was fun. Just installed the latest drivers, jumped into Fallout 4, and noticed the game felt really weird. It seemed to be moving too fast, but not only that, it seemed to speed up even more when facing a certain direction. So after fucking around with some settings with the Fallout 4 Config Tool, I realized what the hell had happened. The new driver installation had wiped my custom settings for Fallout 4 that I made with the nVidia Inspector tool, namely the 75FPS limit. So what was happening is that the game was running well over 90FPS, and when I ran south facing Boston the frame dipped to the 80's and almost felt normal, but ass soon as I turned around and ran north a really sped up as the game was topping 140FPS. Since the game's simulation is directly tied to it's frame-rate, the widely fluctuating FPS was the cause of the game's wonkiness.

Well.... If you needed to run North you were covered Thumbsup

This is why I like competitive multiplayer. It's way too much fun fighting others. If you're better and play the match right it is very rewarding.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.