What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 04:53 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(20-03-2017 03:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 02:55 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  So I was showing my wife what Skyrim looks like.

What I said went something like this:

"These graphics are pretty amazing aren't they? This town looks awesome doesn't it! The, erm.... what the fuck! There's a dragon trying to set fire to the town!"

That's what I love about games like this, the truly unexpected factor. I'd been in that town loads of times before and things were normal, and I had no reason to think this bad boy was going to show up this time.

The problem I have is that I've played games for 35 years now, so I've seen pretty much everything. I rarely get surprised. So I love it when developers really make the effort for old schoolers like me.

It's the same in their Fallout series, just replace Dragon with Deathclaw. Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 42577436.jpg]

I wish I could play that game, I own it just can't run it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2017, 08:10 AM
So Mass Effect got a shit review. That sucks. I'm still going to buy it but now I'm not expecting nearly as much.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
21-03-2017, 08:40 AM

Tomorrow if I can shake down the roomie, next week or so otherwise. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2017, 02:23 PM
(20-03-2017 03:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 02:55 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  So I was showing my wife what Skyrim looks like.

What I said went something like this:

"These graphics are pretty amazing aren't they? This town looks awesome doesn't it! The, erm.... what the fuck! There's a dragon trying to set fire to the town!"

That's what I love about games like this, the truly unexpected factor. I'd been in that town loads of times before and things were normal, and I had no reason to think this bad boy was going to show up this time.

The problem I have is that I've played games for 35 years now, so I've seen pretty much everything. I rarely get surprised. So I love it when developers really make the effort for old schoolers like me.

It's the same in their Fallout series, just replace Dragon with Deathclaw. Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 42577436.jpg]

OMG that is amazing. Laugh out load

I needed that laugh
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
21-03-2017, 02:38 PM
(21-03-2017 08:10 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  So Mass Effect got a shit review. That sucks. I'm still going to buy it but now I'm not expecting nearly as much.

I considered buying. But I watched each and every review available right now. The good, the bad and the mixed. I have to say, I'm certainly waiting for a sale. 60 bucks is a bit steep for what it seems to offer. At least for what I'm looking in a game.

In any case, I'm waiting what Angry Joe has to say on it. His tastes seem to mostly mirror my tastes in games, so I trust that guy the most when it comes to youtubers.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
21-03-2017, 03:33 PM
(21-03-2017 02:38 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 08:10 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  So Mass Effect got a shit review. That sucks. I'm still going to buy it but now I'm not expecting nearly as much.

I considered buying. But I watched each and every review available right now. The good, the bad and the mixed. I have to say, I'm certainly waiting for a sale. 60 bucks is a bit steep for what it seems to offer. At least for what I'm looking in a game.

In any case, I'm waiting what Angry Joe has to say on it. His tastes seem to mostly mirror my tastes in games, so I trust that guy the most when it comes to youtubers.

Well, it's good. Not an instant classic like ME2 was, or a great game like ME3 was, but it's still better than ME1. If I were to sum up the game's biggest and most apparent flaws in one word, it would be: Bethesda. The game, in moving to a larger semi-open world format, has introduced a level of jannkyness that simply wasn't there before. It makes sense, as you have a fuckin' jetpack right off the bat with the ability to mantle up on things and AI companions that need to try and keep up with your flying ass; and this does result in getting yourself caught in weird places, catching the AI warp in behind you to keep up. Unfortunately the presentation also suffers a bit. I mean, even Skyrim pulled off better talking to random NPC's better. In MEA, nearly everyone stand still and almost stiff as a plank of wood while you talk to them, with no camera work. Whereas almost every conversation in previous titles had specifically cut cinematography for each conversation, MEA opts for a more free-form style that's just bland. Fallout 4 tried to do things dynamically on the fly, and yeah it could get the camera stuck in weird places, at least it looked dynamic and the people you talked to would be doing stuff besides just standing there. Also, the eyes look super creepy, and the lip syncing is really bad, like ME1 bad.

But all that being said, it's a blast to play. It's tone is optimistic, in a way not seen since the opening of ME1. The opening up of the character progression is an excellent choice, allowing you to combine just about any powers and equipment you want to invest skill points into. When it comes to combat, the jetpack and the lateral dodge boosters are the best thing ever. There are a few new powers and abilities added to old favorites (Biotic Charge), and they're not locked behind story or companion progression. The voice acting is solid, especially for the female avatar, but the writing isn't as good as in previous titles. There has been a brain drain of senior talent at Bioware for years now, and it's really starting to show.

Still, I came at with checked expectation, and found Fallout 4 in space. It lots of fun, introduces new mechanics I didn't know I needed in my life, all the while being a little rough around the edges. Honestly, the game could have probably used another month or so of Q&A, but some of the more glaring problems (like fundamentals of the animation system) probably aren't ever going to be fixed without a sequel.

It's a good game and I'm having fun, but don't expect the second coming of Christ; the game is not a ME2 killer.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
21-03-2017, 04:28 PM
The problem isn't Bethesda, it's EA.
21-03-2017, 04:34 PM
(21-03-2017 04:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The problem isn't Bethesda, it's EA.

Forcing Bioware to tag on Horde modes for all of their games by now. Not some interesting multiplayer, pure Horde modes for kiddies.

As I said, I'm waiting for Angry Joe doing his review. It can swing both ways with Bioware games these days. Dragon Age II was pure shit where I didn't even muster the strength to finish the demo, Dragon Age Inquisition surprised me pleasantly when I finally got around to buy it years after release. This one can wait out it's time for me to have an informed opinion if it's my style or not.
21-03-2017, 08:10 PM
(21-03-2017 04:34 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 04:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The problem isn't Bethesda, it's EA.

Forcing Bioware to tag on Horde modes for all of their games by now. Not some interesting multiplayer, pure Horde modes for kiddies.

As I said, I'm waiting for Angry Joe doing his review. It can swing both ways with Bioware games these days. Dragon Age II was pure shit where I didn't even muster the strength to finish the demo, Dragon Age Inquisition surprised me pleasantly when I finally got around to buy it years after release. This one can wait out it's time for me to have an informed opinion if it's my style or not.

The issue with the gaming industry is a lot of the power within the industry is held by those that don't give a fuck about games. Gamestop, publishers and filthy casual masses. The last two being rather significant.

The issue with Publishers is that they don't develop the games. They invest X amount of dollars and expect Y amount of sales. Ubisoft and EA are the prime examples. They get some developers to turn out the same shit year after year because the filthy casuals will buy it. Far Cry, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, all EA sports games to name a few. Even spin off games that are basically just mods of other games. Shadows of Mordor, Battlefront. And all this shit sells. People will buy a new Far Cry. People will buy a new Call of Duty. Yet these games are not good games. They're nowhere near innovated or new. Even Battlefield 1, finally a WW1 game right? Firstly, not the first ever WW1 game or even the first WW1 FPS multiplayer game for that matter, secondly it was basically a Battlefront mod which in turn is a Battlefield 4 mod which in turn is basically a slightly varied version of every Battlefield ever.

Yet all these games are held up as AAA, the golden standard of gaming even though they're filth. Fucking FILTH. AAA games are so rarely innovative and exciting now. It's same shit different day.

This is why I fucking called this shit with Andromeda. It's published by EA. The money hunger resonates off the whole game. Firstly, "Mass Effect", gotta have that "badge" because that will sell copies. What else will sell copies? Oh yea, "open world". Mention "Mass Effect" and "Open World" in the same sentence and gamers everywhere just fucking shoot jizz everywhere. But they forgot the most important point. IT'S EA!! Of course that game was gonna be half finished, filled with boring repetitive side filler and shit story with boring side characters.

The Witcher 3 was a fucking masterpiece because CD Projekt Red care about games and they took their time to do it right. They didn't just throw something together and say "Witcher open world" and let gamers everywhere cream their pants and throw money at them. No. They made a seriously good fucking game that would become an instant classic so that when fanboys everywhere threw money at them they didn't regret doing so.

Whatever I'm done rambling. Fuck EA, I hope their headquarters burns to the ground.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
21-03-2017, 09:28 PM
(21-03-2017 02:38 PM)abaris Wrote:  I considered buying. But I watched each and every review available right now. The good, the bad and the mixed. I have to say, I'm certainly waiting for a sale. 60 bucks is a bit steep for what it seems to offer. At least for what I'm looking in a game.

I agree with you on Angry Joe game reviews. I "generally" agree with most of his reviews and he is usually in the ballpark on the good, bad, and ugly of the game. That said... I'm still going to pick up MEA when I get back from D.C. next week.

(21-03-2017 03:33 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  , it's good. Not an instant classic like ME2 was, or a great game like ME3 was, but it's still better than ME1. If I were to sum up the game's biggest and most apparent flaws in one word, it would be: Bethesda. The game, in moving to a larger semi-open world format, has introduced a level of jannkyness that simply wasn't there before. It makes sense, as you have a fuckin' jetpack right off the bat with the ability to mantle up on things and AI companions that need to try and keep up with your flying ass; and this does result in getting yourself caught in weird places, catching the AI warp in behind you to keep up. Unfortunately the presentation also suffers a bit. I mean, even Skyrim pulled off better talking to random NPC's better. In MEA, nearly everyone stand still and almost stiff as a plank of wood while you talk to them, with no camera work. Whereas almost every conversation in previous titles had specifically cut cinematography for each conversation, MEA opts for a more free-form style that's just bland. Fallout 4 tried to do things dynamically on the fly, and yeah it could get the camera stuck in weird places, at least it looked dynamic and the people you talked to would be doing stuff besides just standing there. Also, the eyes look super creepy, and the lip syncing is really bad, like ME1 bad.

But all that being said, it's a blast to play. It's tone is optimistic, in a way not seen since the opening of ME1. The opening up of the character progression is an excellent choice, allowing you to combine just about any powers and equipment you want to invest skill points into. When it comes to combat, the jetpack and the lateral dodge boosters are the best thing ever. There are a few new powers and abilities added to old favorites (Biotic Charge), and they're not locked behind story or companion progression. The voice acting is solid, especially for the female avatar, but the writing isn't as good as in previous titles. There has been a brain drain of senior talent at Bioware for years now, and it's really starting to show.

Still, I came at with checked expectation, and found Fallout 4 in space. It lots of fun, introduces new mechanics I didn't know I needed in my life, all the while being a little rough around the edges. Honestly, the game could have probably used another month or so of Q&A, but some of the more glaring problems (like fundamentals of the animation system) probably aren't ever going to be fixed without a sequel.

It's a good game and I'm having fun, but don't expect the second coming of Christ; the game is not a ME2 killer.

Good summary of the game and thanks for the time of writing it up. It's strange that you brought up Bethesda since they usually make quality games. Maybe not Naughtydog Games but up there nonetheless. I'm looking forward to playing it, even with it's flaws.

Needless to say March has been a good month for games. Horizon Zero Dawn, For Honor, Ghost Recon Wildlands (subjective I realize), and now MEA. Very seldom in one month do so many decent games come out. I didn't include Zelda since I don't have a Switch yet tough I'll pick one up just for that game.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.