What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2017, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 02:40 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: What are you playing?
(21-03-2017 04:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The problem isn't Bethesda, it's EA.

The problem is the game is just like Bethesda's work. Trust me dude, I am more than well aware of who does what in the industry. For better or worse, I went to school for this shit. Keeping up with the industry is more than a passing hobby.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2017, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2017 11:41 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(21-03-2017 04:34 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 04:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The problem isn't Bethesda, it's EA.

Forcing Bioware to tag on Horde modes for all of their games by now. Not some interesting multiplayer, pure Horde modes for kiddies.

As I said, I'm waiting for Angry Joe doing his review. It can swing both ways with Bioware games these days. Dragon Age II was pure shit where I didn't even muster the strength to finish the demo, Dragon Age Inquisition surprised me pleasantly when I finally got around to buy it years after release. This one can wait out it's time for me to have an informed opinion if it's my style or not.

I loved DA2 and played it many times over, whereas Inquisition was a massive and slow paced slog fest where my OCD had me spending hours of time running around on boring fetch quests. Also the best companion in Inquisition is Varric, from DA2. Plus, DA2 made magic cool. Mage is still my go-to class whenever I replay it, because they not only made it effective, but also fun to play as. More so than even the Mage origin of Origins, DA2 makes you feel the weight of being a mage (and a rebel one at that), and what that really means in the world of Dragon Age. Unlike the other DA titles, it's story spanned years, allowing characters to grow in a way not really seen since the Mass Effect trilogy; which took 3 games to do what DA2 did in one. So what if you had a more restricted avatar? It just made it more like Mass Effect. Also the female Hawke default is super cute, her voice actress (Jo Wyatt) is amazing, and being smarmy at every chance is basically the best thing ever.

[Image: screenshot20110316072218708.jpg]

I even liked the smaller location. It made the most of it's smaller scope, and had a depth of character unrivaled by any other Bioware game. What are the big end-game show pieces in Origins and Inquisition? Massive wrecked landscapes you are seeing for the first time, the ruins of a city you've never known. DA2 comes to a head in the very same streets Hawke has lived in for years now, that you as the player have been through time and time again to the point of memorization. To this day I still have the entire layout of Kirkwall in my head, and could navigate the streets practically blindfolded. Sort of like fast-travel in the Elder Scrolls games; it's very convenient, but there was something special to memorizing the stilt-strider and ferry routs in Morrowind to get around that made you feel more like a citizen than a tourist. A repetitious as it might be, you do eventually feel like a citizen of Kirkwall, not a tourist. When shit hits the fan in the final act, it's personal. It's not some unknown capital being sacked, it's my home that is being attacked. My city, my neighborhoods, my streets; my home and the homes of my best friends are all in danger. Everyone I care about, and the lives they've built here, are all at risk. Yeah, shit gets real at the climax of DA2; in a way that Origin and Inquisition, with their much larger scope, simply fail to encapsulate.

Not just that, but given the game's spanning of year, Hawke is allowed a level of personal growth typically not seen in many other games. Your public successes are often marred by very personal setbacks. You lose both of your sibling to circumstances beyond your control, your mother falls victim to a deranged serial killer. You have a chance to rebuild your family's name and fortune, and you do steadily rise in influence and power within the city; but at the end of the day, you are not the fated hero or the last bastion of a lost order of special people (you are not the last Grey Warden, the Inquisitor with the magic hand, the first human Spectre, the last Spirit Monk, or the former Lord of the Sith). You're just Hawke, a capable person often in the wrong place at the right time, and your actions influence your friends and the city but not much else; until near the end of the game, when the weight of your actions and growing responsibility bring you to the attention of powers much larger than yourself. Between all three, I still think DA2 holds up the best. It's not the very traditional CRPG that Origins was (following the footsteps of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights), and not the stab at open world that Inquisition was; it was it's own relatively unique and personal take, not just for Dragon Age, but for RPG's in general.

Fuck, now I need to go and reinstall DA2 again...

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-03-2017, 10:18 PM
[Image: 725795DC9CF306B85DDB5791CA5806307D7F6827]

Well. Okay then.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-03-2017, 03:09 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 03:42 AM by EvolutionKills.)
TL;DR - Dragon Age 2 is a character-centric tragedy, and not the typical hero's journey seen in every mainstream Bioware title for the past 3 console generations. People expected Star Wars and instead they were handed Sophocles. Also, Hawke is quite possibly the loneliest and most introverted protagonist Bioware has ever done.

23-03-2017, 03:16 AM
(23-03-2017 03:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  TL;DR - Dragon Age 2 is a character-centric tragedy, and not the typical hero's journey seen in every mainstream Bioware title for the past 3 console generations. People expected Star Wars and instead they were handed Sophocles.

I expected a good game and that was what I got. I finished DA 2 five or six times whereas I can't bring myself to second run of Inquisition, even when I bought gold edition.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-03-2017, 03:48 AM
(23-03-2017 03:16 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I expected a good game and that was what I got. I finished DA 2 five or six times whereas I can't bring myself to second run of Inquisition, even when I bought gold edition.

[Image: internet-brofist_o_432207.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-03-2017, 04:18 AM
(23-03-2017 03:16 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I expected a good game and that was what I got. I finished DA 2 five or six times whereas I can't bring myself to second run of Inquisition, even when I bought gold edition.

The exact opposite here. The monkey on speed feeling of DAII already pissed me off when playing the demo. After loving Origins, that is. So the pacing of DA:I was just fine for me.

What I read and saw of the full game only confirmed my decision that this is not the game for me. Hordes dropping from the sky, templar guards not giving a shit when there's fighting right under their nose and people firing fireballs by the numbers. Feeling the weight of being a mage, my ass. The weight was lost when templars didn't even bother when magic was used right in their faces.

Well, that's a general problem with Bioware games. A non reactive environment where everybody goes about their business as if nothing happened when there's a major fight breaking out. Even Bethesda solves that better with the NPC population taking part in scuffles. Even attacking you when they feel like you're behind it.
23-03-2017, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 04:33 AM by Szuchow.)
(23-03-2017 04:18 AM)abaris Wrote:  

The exact opposite here. The monkey on speed feeling of DAII already pissed me off when playing the demo. After loving Origins, that is. So the pacing of DA:I was just fine for me.

What I read and saw of the full game only confirmed my decision that this is not the game for me. Hordes dropping from the sky, templar guards not giving a shit when there's fighting right under their nose and people firing fireballs by the numbers. Feeling the weight of being a mage, my ass. The weight was lost when templars didn't even bother when magic was used right in their faces.

Well, that's a general problem with Bioware games. A non reactive environment where everybody goes about their business as if nothing happened when there's a major fight breaking out. Even Bethesda solves that better with the NPC population taking part in scuffles. Even attacking you when they feel like you're behind it.

To each it's own I guess. I found DA 2 exciting, where I found Inquisition to be just tiring. For me it have no replay value cause I can't imagine myself making another decisions and it is too big to enjoy with different class and same choices. DA 2 wasn't much better in regard to choice but it was compact enough to play again for sake of the class and playing as other personality.

Edit: I miss the possibility of killing party members. Not that much in part 2 but my rating of Inquisition would be much higher if I could off Sera or that bitchy, hypocritical and plain dumb mage who you recruit early on. Viviene or something.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-03-2017, 04:29 AM
(23-03-2017 04:18 AM)abaris Wrote:  The exact opposite here. The monkey on speed feeling of DAII already pissed me off when playing the demo. After loving Origins, that is. So the pacing of DA:I was just fine for me.

Well, sure, if you want to have a hard and fast opinion about a game you haven't played yourself, have at it.

23-03-2017, 05:08 AM
I'm never going to escape glitches, am I...

[Image: 2231AB7135A6527BA01347361B641A057FE0F779]
[Image: C70A45DC1CBBC7585724C11BEBBD4F2FFDAC1051]
[Image: 101B41ECB3CAAA53B156FEEFFE6018B1B95354C2]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.