What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2017, 08:18 PM
RE: What are you playing?
(23-03-2017 07:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I'm not saying it's the best FPS out there ever but it's the best right now for competitive play.

No it's really not.

Well... I enjoy Trials and the hyper competitive nature of the game mode. It's the hardest thing to complete in the game and I've been 5 times as of now. When 200k-300k people play Trials and on average only 3% go to the Lighthouse each week? Yeah... that's the game mode for me.

I only play on PS4 so I can't compare it to the new Halo series or any Xbox or PC exclusive game. But if you can name a better competitive mode FPS game that tracks your stats on PS4 I'm all ears.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Speaking of Trials. I'll be playing tomorrow night once we fly back from D.C. If you're good enough to "kick my ass" then you're good enough to be on my team Wink

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
23-03-2017, 11:42 PM
(23-03-2017 08:18 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(23-03-2017 07:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  No it's really not.

Well... I enjoy Trials and the hyper competitive nature of the game mode. It's the hardest thing to complete in the game and I've been 5 times as of now. When 200k-300k people play Trials and on average only 3% go to the Lighthouse each week? Yeah... that's the game mode for me.

I only play on PS4 so I can't compare it to the new Halo series or any Xbox or PC exclusive game. But if you can name a better competitive mode FPS game that tracks your stats on PS4 I'm all ears.

I don't play PS4, I play Xbox. Halo is my main jam, FPS wise anyway. That game is proper competitive multiplayer. Ranking system, the games balanced (well.. it's very very well balanced compared to most FPS games and most certainly compared to the unbalanced shit storm that is Destiny.) and it competitive in a way that Destiny just isn't.

Team play in Halo is incredibly important. Destiny.. not so much. My flatmate is a hardcore Destiny player. He's put like 3000 hours into that game. He'll get carried by 2 dudes who do trials each week and get to the lighthouse easily and consistently. Destiny isn't a team game. I can have the worst team ever yet I can just pop flamming hammers and wipe the enemy team lolwut?? How is that competitive?? Halo in comparison, everyone starts with the same things and has to fight over the power weapons and power ups. And you can adjust your play style accordingly. There's no adjusting for someone suddenly deciding they're gonna nova bomb or titan slam mid-fight. Halo takes a lot more skill whereas Destiny you just need luck or to have your special/grenade off cool down.

But thinking about PS4, Overwatch comes to mind. Yea it's a cartoony Blizzard game but even that is very competitive. The characters are well balanced considering the number of them and how different they are and it's far more team based and about team tactics and character selection.

Even CoD is more balanced and competitive and that's fucking CoD...

The reason why only 3% of gamers get to the lighthouse is not because it's competitive it's because Destiny is so full of bullshit things such as meta guns and all the powers and the whole everyone has a sniper/shotgun bullshit that it's nearly impossible to win 9 fucking games in a row without losing to some random n00bs running around throwing spike grenades everywhere. That game is too unpredictable which in turn takes away the whole strategic element which in turn makes it completely non-competitive.

The issue for Destiny 2 is though, what that games needs is a multiplayer much like Halo's where everyone starts off on an even footing and abilities aren't as OP bullshit as they are now. And a ranking system. Than it would be close to competitive. BUT the issue with that is that is not the kind of game Destiny is. It's an "mmo" type thing where you go raid or whatever and get new guns and gear etc.. so they will never have the multiplayer it needs which is a shame because if it had a really good ACTUAL competitive multiplayer that was well balanced and had a ranking system it would be a far more sustainable game and would be a real competitor in the multiplayer scene.
24-03-2017, 12:06 AM
(23-03-2017 11:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(23-03-2017 08:18 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Well... I enjoy Trials and the hyper competitive nature of the game mode. It's the hardest thing to complete in the game and I've been 5 times as of now. When 200k-300k people play Trials and on average only 3% go to the Lighthouse each week? Yeah... that's the game mode for me.

I don't play PS4, I play Xbox. Halo is my main jam, FPS wise anyway. That game is proper competitive multiplayer. Ranking system, the games balanced (well.. it's very very well balanced compared to most FPS games and most certainly compared to the unbalanced shit storm that is Destiny.) and it competitive in a way that Destiny just isn't.

Team play in Halo is incredibly important. Destiny.. not so much. My flatmate is a hardcore Destiny player. He's put like 3000 hours into that game. He'll get carried by 2 dudes who do trials each week and get to the lighthouse easily and consistently. Destiny isn't a team game. I can have the worst team ever yet I can just pop flamming hammers and wipe the enemy team lolwut?? How is that competitive?? Halo in comparison, everyone starts with the same things and has to fight over the power weapons and power ups. And you can adjust your play style accordingly. There's no adjusting for someone suddenly deciding they're gonna nova bomb or titan slam mid-fight. Halo takes a lot more skill whereas Destiny you just need luck or to have your special/grenade off cool down.

But thinking about PS4, Overwatch comes to mind. Yea it's a cartoony Blizzard game but even that is very competitive. The characters are well balanced considering the number of them and how different they are and it's far more team based and about team tactics and character selection.

Even CoD is more balanced and competitive and that's fucking CoD...

The reason why only 3% of gamers get to the lighthouse is not because it's competitive it's because Destiny is so full of bullshit things such as meta guns and all the powers and the whole everyone has a sniper/shotgun bullshit that it's nearly impossible to win 9 fucking games in a row without losing to some random n00bs running around throwing spike grenades everywhere. That game is too unpredictable which in turn takes away the whole strategic element which in turn makes it completely non-competitive.

The issue for Destiny 2 is though, what that games needs is a multiplayer much like Halo's where everyone starts off on an even footing and abilities aren't as OP bullshit as they are now. And a ranking system. Than it would be close to competitive. BUT the issue with that is that is not the kind of game Destiny is. It's an "mmo" type thing where you go raid or whatever and get new guns and gear etc.. so they will never have the multiplayer it needs which is a shame because if it had a really good ACTUAL competitive multiplayer that was well balanced and had a ranking system it would be a far more sustainable game and would be a real competitor in the multiplayer scene.

Yeabut, neither of them are on PC.

You know, where Counter-Strike:Global Offensive lives. Tongue

[Image: qRJ7zjF.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
24-03-2017, 12:10 AM
(23-03-2017 08:25 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Speaking of Trials.

Every time you say that I think of this...

[Image: Fusion_Single_TurbineTerror.png]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
24-03-2017, 12:45 AM
Also, playing trough Dragon Age 2 again. Literally the first 'real' encounter after Varric's embellishment at the hands of Cassandra Pentaghast (a.k.a. the sum total of the DA2 demo), is with Avaline Vallen and her husband Ser Wesley, a Templar. The fact that your sister Bethany (and potentially Hawke as well) are apostate mages is not lost on him.

Just sayin'...

24-03-2017, 01:20 AM
Quote:You know, where Counter-Strike:Global Offensive lives. Tongue

In the bin?

Seriously though, I was gonna mention CS but he wanted PS4 games and Overwatch and CoD were the only ones that came to mind.
I don't know enough about KZ to comment on that.
24-03-2017, 01:23 AM
Also the first fight in the city of Kirkwall is fending off a group of mercenary refugees (fleeing the blight in Fereldan, just like you) who turn hostile against the city guard after been cooped up on the dock for days. You help the city guard fend off the mercenaries. If any of them notice you're a mage, they don't care cause you just helped save their asses. Once you eventually get into the city, Avaline Vallen (who fled with your family) joins the city guard. Not only is it pretty explicitly implied that she steps in on your behalf, she berates you for having to do so on occasion. Not only that, but there are multiple times where you take jobs to help the city guard. Eventually Avaline even becomes head of the city guard, after you help her weed out corruption that ties directly to her former boss.

So yeah, Kirkwall streets are not patrolled by Templars. Given your connection to Avaline you actually have more cover for your occasional street brawls than the Hero of Fereldan ever did for any of their numerous fights in the capital city of Fereldan, Denerim. Plus the city guard is quite a bit more concerned with the city's stranded Qunari population.

Just sayin'...

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-03-2017, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017 03:08 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Context: The Commander (dude with the chiseled chin and the red leather jacket) is a badass space marine from the future, currently in our time running a temp agency of sorts that helps with cultural integration and finding work for unemployed macho video game characters (Duke Nukem, Gannondorf, Kratos, etc.). This includes Sten.

[Image: 2010-05-24.jpg]

[Image: 2010-03-29.jpg]

[Image: 2011-06-06.jpg]

[Image: 2011-05-30.jpg]

[Image: 2014-06-09.jpg]

[Image: 2014-12-01.jpg]

[Image: 2014-12-08.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-03-2017, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017 04:17 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Also, while everyone else is on their Breath of the Wild binge, here's some Ganondorf.

Because Ganondorf is da' best.

[Image: 2010-03-01.jpg]

[Image: 2014-09-22.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-13.jpg]

[Image: 2015-03-09.jpg]

[Image: 2015-06-08.jpg]

[Image: 2014-11-17.jpg]

[Image: 2016-04-18.jpg]

[Image: 2016-05-16.jpg]

^ That is, no joke, almost verbatim the plot of Hyrule Warriors. ^

[Image: 2016-05-23.jpg]

[Image: 2016-06-27.jpg]

^ Can’t wait to do a “weird Ganon out until he gives up and leaves” run in Breath of the Wild ^