What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 06:01 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(24-03-2017 10:14 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Just got back from DC today and picked up MEA. Only played through the starting mission so I can't really comment on the gameplay as of yet. The gunplay is fun (so far) and it looks like the character customization will be pretty deep. But motherfucker... the cutscenes look like shit with the character models. Feels like I'm playing on a PS2 with the lack of detail in the characters and stilted animations. If I can get past that it looks like it will be a pretty fun game.

Game gets a lot of flak on metacritic. I stop reading user reviews when there's SJW or anti white racism in them. That has been the same with every Bioware game. Gay agenda, feminists .... the lot. You can safely discard people viewing it from that angle.

But even the professional reviews aren't over the top this time round. Which has to be one of the first, if not the first for a so called AAA title.

Personally, as I said, I'm waiting for Angry Joe to do his thing. As far as my tastes in gaming are concerned he was always more or less spot on with his reviews. He's alreasy upped a bit where he plays multiplayer and it's as expected. Pure horde mode with lots of microtransactions. Also, going by what he and other Joe are saying while playing, I can't imagine the final review to be all roses and candies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
27-03-2017, 06:12 AM
(27-03-2017 06:01 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 10:14 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Just got back from DC today and picked up MEA. Only played through the starting mission so I can't really comment on the gameplay as of yet. The gunplay is fun (so far) and it looks like the character customization will be pretty deep. But motherfucker... the cutscenes look like shit with the character models. Feels like I'm playing on a PS2 with the lack of detail in the characters and stilted animations. If I can get past that it looks like it will be a pretty fun game.

Game gets a lot of flak on metacritic. I stop reading user reviews when there's SJW or anti white racism in them. That has been the same with every Bioware game. Gay agenda, feminists .... the lot. You can safely discard people viewing it from that angle.

But even the professional reviews aren't over the top this time round. Which has to be one of the first, if not the first for a so called AAA title.

Personally, as I said, I'm waiting for Angry Joe to do his thing. As far as my tastes in gaming are concerned he was always more or less spot on with his reviews. He's alreasy upped a bit where he plays multiplayer and it's as expected. Pure horde mode with lots of microtransactions. Also, going by what he and other Joe are saying while playing, I can't imagine the final review to be all roses and candies.

I agree. I don't look at Metacritic at all. Most of the reviews have been mediocre at best. And I agree with you about Angry Joe. Like you his taste in games and no bullshit reviews are trusted by me. There have been a few that he didn't like that I ended up liking but I respect him more than any others.

I got to play a little last night and I've only made it to the ship (which looks as if it needs a lot of repairs). Did a few little side missions. But the conversations between crew members (although engaging) look terrible for a current gen game. What little gunplay I've played around with has been fun so I think it will be a decent game. Not the best in the series mind you but decent nonetheless.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
27-03-2017, 06:15 AM
The problem I've got right now (consider this a first world problem) is I have too many games to play. MEA, For Honor (which I love), Horizon Zero Dawn (which is spectacular), and Destiny is coming out with an update tomorrow. Good problem to have I suppose.

27-03-2017, 06:38 AM
Getting more into Tales of Zestiria.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-03-2017, 06:44 AM
(27-03-2017 06:12 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I got to play a little last night and I've only made it to the ship (which looks as if it needs a lot of repairs). Did a few little side missions. But the conversations between crew members (although engaging) look terrible for a current gen game. What little gunplay I've played around with has been fun so I think it will be a decent game. Not the best in the series mind you but decent nonetheless.

For me it depends how it delivers on the story end and the interaction between your crew. If they are interesting and well written.

I was pleasantly surprised by DA:I when I got around to pick it up years after release. But only because I hooked up a controler. Controlling it with mouse and keyboard was a chore.

That said, I don't care one bit over multiplayer. The Horde Mode EA tags onto their games attracts all the wrong kinds of people, apart from the fact that simply shooting up wave after wave isn't what I consider fun or escapism.
27-03-2017, 07:12 AM
(27-03-2017 06:44 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 06:12 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I got to play a little last night and I've only made it to the ship (which looks as if it needs a lot of repairs). Did a few little side missions. But the conversations between crew members (although engaging) look terrible for a current gen game. What little gunplay I've played around with has been fun so I think it will be a decent game. Not the best in the series mind you but decent nonetheless.

For me it depends how it delivers on the story end and the interaction between your crew. If they are interesting and well written.

I was pleasantly surprised by DA:I when I got around to pick it up years after release. But only because I hooked up a controler. Controlling it with mouse and keyboard was a chore.

That said, I don't care one bit over multiplayer. The Horde Mode EA tags onto their games attracts all the wrong kinds of people, apart from the fact that simply shooting up wave after wave isn't what I consider fun or escapism.

I agree with that. I don't play horde mode in any game. The first Horde mode I played was in Gears of War 2 IIRC and it just wasn't my thing. I'd much rather match skill against other players. And I agree with the interaction between your crew (stilted as it may be this time around). Still, all in all a pretty engaging game. Not Horizon Zero Dawn engaging (yet) but engaging nonetheless.

28-03-2017, 03:51 AM
For anyone interested, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is free on Steam, not sure on how much longer until it stops being free.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-03-2017, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2017 10:18 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(27-03-2017 07:12 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 06:44 AM)abaris Wrote:  For me it depends how it delivers on the story end and the interaction between your crew. If they are interesting and well written.

I agree with that. I don't play horde mode in any game. The first Horde mode I played was in Gears of War 2 IIRC and it just wasn't my thing. I'd much rather match skill against other players. And I agree with the interaction between your crew (stilted as it may be this time around). Still, all in all a pretty engaging game. Not Horizon Zero Dawn engaging (yet) but engaging nonetheless.

Horde Mode has been my go-to multiplayer, precisely because I can't stand the wankers drawn to competitive multiplayer. But I also play dedicated games, not the half-assed MP portion of another game. Didn't care much for the multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, and Andromeda hasn't changed that. But I still love Killing Floor, and PAYDAY was my jam until the developer bollocks up the squeal with microtransation bullshit and an inability to fix persistent game bugs (plus their proprietary engine is shite).

I also agree that a controller is a must for Dragon Age: Inquisition, even on PC. I fold up my futon, switch the output on my PC, crank up my speakers, and enjoy sitting down in front of a TV for a change of pace. I have a pair of Xbox One controllers along with the wireless dongle for my PC. Got one of those limited edition Midnight Forces controllers in blue, with an official rechargeable battery pack. The benefits of working at a second hand electronic and media store for a few months, with my best friend as the store manager. I was able to pick up some great hardware on the cheap while I was there, including a new and in box WiiU bundled with Mario Kart 8, a Sony PSP 2000 model (promptly jail-broken and turned into a portable PSone machine), and a Nintendo DSi XL Mario 25th Anniversary Edition (also with a flash cart). Big Grin

[Image: 7307001_sa.jpg]

^ The most comfortable controller I have ever used. ^

[Image: 25th_DSi_WE_10.jpg?x53005]

But firing back up DA:I again does make ME:A look even more dated in comparison. Part of it I can understand. ME:A does not have the same level of granularity that DA:I does, but a lot of that is a trade-off of scale. While DA:I is very detailed at the micro level, and the sections of the world can be quite large, they still pale in comparison of scale to the sheer vastness that is ME:A. Unfortunately, that scale comes with compromises. Simply put, ME:A will never be able to reach the same level of detail at the micro level (at least on consoles) without also massively scaling back the size of the worlds. DA:I has large maps, but you typically can't see all the way across them, as often your view is blocked and confined by your surroundings. Whereas in ME:A you can practically see from one end of the map the the other, your visible draw distance is often many times larger than what was possible or expected in DA:I, and that comes at a cost. You also do not cover the same distance at the same speed in both games, ME:A's Nomad gives you the speed to bridge the gap in distance, but that also means that loading more of the world faster now comes at a premium not needed in DA:I, and you keep loading times snappy by keeping the strain on streaming assets lower by keeping them less complex (less polygons, smaller texture maps, etc.). All of that comes at the cost of fidelity.

The consoles only have so much power, so much RAM to store data in (although the game's optimization on PC leaves much to be desired). Their larger size comes at the explicit cost of micro detail. Of course this is also entirely outside of the other problems with the game's camera and animation, these are balance of resource problems that would challenge any developer making a game at this scale. But it feels like ME:A was not done by the same team that created DA:I, as this cannot possibly be the second outing on the same engine and same consoles for the same team, and yet still be so rough around the edges. Unless the game really went through development hell or was otherwise under worse budget or time constraints than DA:I, ME:A would be a poor second outing for such a team without extenuating circumstances. It feels more like an entirely separate team, without any of the experience gained from DA:I, was assigned to this project and had to figure everything out from scratch instead of building on the experience of what they did before. Given how Bioware is a part of EA (and the massive brain drain that studio has had for years, losing the founders and other senior staff and project leads) that would not surprise me in the slightest.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-03-2017, 04:56 AM
(30-03-2017 04:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 07:12 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I agree with that. I don't play horde mode in any game. The first Horde mode I played was in Gears of War 2 IIRC and it just wasn't my thing. I'd much rather match skill against other players. And I agree with the interaction between your crew (stilted as it may be this time around). Still, all in all a pretty engaging game. Not Horizon Zero Dawn engaging (yet) but engaging nonetheless.

Horde Mode has been my go-to multiplayer, precisely because I can't stand the wankers drawn to competitive multiplayer. But I also play dedicated games, not the half-assed MP portion of another game. Didn't care much for the multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, and Andromeda hasn't changed that. But I still love Killing Floor, and PAYDAY was my jam until the developer bollocks up the squeal with microtransation bullshit and an inability to fix persistent game bugs (plus their proprietary engine is shite).

I also agree that a controller is a must for Dragon Age: Inquisition, even on PC. I fold up my futon, switch the output on my PC, crank up my speakers, and enjoy sitting down in front of a TV for a change of pace. I have a pair of Xbox One controllers along with the wireless dongle for my PC. Got one of those limited edition Midnight Forces controllers in blue, with an official rechargeable battery pack. The benefits of working at a second hand electronic and media store for a few months, with my best friend as the store manager. I was able to pick up some great hardware on the cheap while I was there, including a new and in box WiiU bundled with Mario Kart 8, a Sony PSP 2000 model (promptly jail-broken and turned into a portable PSone machine), and a Nintendo DSi XL Mario 25th Anniversary Edition (also with a flash cart). Big Grin

[Image: 7307001_sa.jpg]

^ The most comfortable controller I have ever used. ^

[Image: 25th_DSi_WE_10.jpg?x53005]

But DA:I makes ME:A look even more dated in comparison. Part of it I can understand. ME:A does not have the same level of granularity that DA:I does, but a lot of that is a trade-off of scale. While DA:I is very detailed at the micro level, and the sections of the world can be quite large, they sill pale in scale to the sheer vastness that is ME:A. Unfortunately, that scale comes with compromises. Simply put, ME:A will never be able to reach the same level of detail at the micro level (at least on consoles) without also massively scaling back the size of the worlds. DA:I has large maps, but you typically can't see all the way across them, as often your view is blocked and confined by your surroundings. Whereas in ME:A you can practically see from one end of the map the the other, your visible draw distance is often many times larger than what was possible or expected in DA:I, and that comes at a cost. You also do not cover the same distance at the same speed in both games, ME:A's Nomad gives you the speed to bridge the gap in distance, but that also means that loading more of the world faster now comes at a premium not needed in DA:I.

The games only have so much power, so much RAM to store data in. Their larger size comes at the explicit cost of micro detail. Of course this is also entirely outside of the other problems with the game's camera and animation, there are balance of resource problems that would challenge any developer. But it feels like ME:A was not don't done by the same team that created DA:I, as this cannot possibly be the second outing on the same engine and same consoles for the same team, and yet still be so rough around the edges. Unless the game really went through development hell or was otherwise under worse budget or time constraints than DA:I, ME:A would be a poor second outing for such a team without extenuating circumstances. It feels more like an entirely separate team, without any of the experience gained from DA:I, was assigned to this project and had to figure everything out from scratch instead of building on the experience of what they did before. Given how Bioware is a part of EA (and the massive brain drain that studio has had for years, losing the founders and other senior staff and project leads) that would not surprise me in the slightest.

So after putting in a few hours into MEA I have been able to look over the stilted cutscenes as the dialogue is good enough. The gameplay itself is a lot of fun (to me) and I'm enjoying it. Combat is a lot of fun and I love the fact that you can respec your character to different types of play styles.

That said (and I know... I'm a broken record) My go to for multiplayer is still Destiny since there isn't any other competitive multiplayer out there with the depth of Destiny on PS4. My ELO is above 1500 which always puts me in sweaty matches but that's what I get for playing so long. So I'll keep playing that until a better multiplayer (that tracks your stats) comes along.

Admittedly not my best game but I was testing out an artifact that took away my super and added an extra grenade and smoke (which in turn actually gets more kills if used correctly). But I'll take a 3.5 anyday.

30-03-2017, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2017 11:12 AM by Loom.)
(24-03-2017 08:42 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  woah! I just beat the elephant one and was pretty impressed with myself. lol
3 is great!

Have you beaten any Lynels yet?? I totally grabbed those spark arrows at the top of the mountain and GTH outta there. Those guys scare me!

I am a really slow player. I talk to everyone 2 or 3 times...then go on side quests...then go find stuff in trees...etc. Smile

Lynels are the one thing I can't beat yet. They hand me my ass every time I try xD

I've got the map completed now, been exploring like mad. That last beast is gonna wait a while.

Hardest part about this game is not getting sidetracked xD

Also, check out this vid. It's hilarious what this game lets you do.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post