What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 02:28 PM
RE: What are you playing?
Picked up Walking Dead: Michonne (Telltale Games) on Steam today for less than $4 (normally around $12). It was available with French text, which will make for a convenient excuse to alleviate the guilt I often feel when wasting too much time playing games. I can tell myself it's for study purposes.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2017, 02:43 PM
(30-03-2017 11:00 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 08:42 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  woah! I just beat the elephant one and was pretty impressed with myself. lol
3 is great!

Have you beaten any Lynels yet?? I totally grabbed those spark arrows at the top of the mountain and GTH outta there. Those guys scare me!

I am a really slow player. I talk to everyone 2 or 3 times...then go on side quests...then go find stuff in trees...etc. Smile

Lynels are the one thing I can't beat yet. They hand me my ass every time I try xD

I've got the map completed now, been exploring like mad. That last beast is gonna wait a while.

Hardest part about this game is not getting sidetracked xD

Also, check out this vid. It's hilarious what this game lets you do.

This is one thing that's kinda bothering me now, the more I think about it...

Where in the fuck were all of you people for the rest of the immersive sim games?

If you really enjoy being given a toolbox and being left to your own devices to solve your problem in creative ways in a game world built upon layers of interconnected systems. Why weren't you all playing Deus Ex? Or Arx Fatalis? Why isn't Dishonored, System Shock, or Thief the best thing ever?

I mean, they also had the benefit of giving you weapons not made out of paper mache!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
31-03-2017, 03:17 PM
(31-03-2017 02:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Where in the fuck were all of you people for the rest of the immersive sim games?

Name a few and I tell you where I were.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
31-03-2017, 05:50 PM
(31-03-2017 02:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Where in the fuck were all of you people for the rest of the immersive sim games?

I play "mostly" multiplayer games. Not sim games. I enjoy interacting with people rather than staring at a screen (as good as the game may be). Horizon Zero Dawn is the one game that does hold my attention but I find myself after a few hours wanting to go back and shoot people in the face.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
31-03-2017, 05:55 PM
What I mean. Doing the raid with friends is a lot of fun. You can skip the first the few mins as we are building our supers. But this is us working together on the middle part of the raid. I forgot to turn the mics on the others so all you hear is me. I was at the Fire Station at the time so you can hear the alarm go off in the background while we were waiting.

Skip to 6:45 for the actual run

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
01-04-2017, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 04:24 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(31-03-2017 03:17 PM)abaris Wrote:  
Name a few and I tell you where I were.

Uh, I literally listed some of them in the post. Tongue

But, just to be clear, this is what I'm talking about. The defining characteristics of the 'immersive sim' genre, of which Breath of the Wild hits almost every point except that it is not first person and I don't think the game has any real defining choices or consequences for them.

It should be noted that not all of these characteristics are necessarily required for games to fall into this category
  • Immersion in an elaborate and believable game world.
  • Simulation: physics and AI are used to create believable behavior in objects and characters which the player can freely interact with, resulting in 'emergent gameplay'.
  • First-person perspective so as to truly look through the eyes of the protagonist.
    Game design that allows for multiple paths and/or multiple solutions in every situation.
  • A systemic game world that keeps track of the player's actions, which can affect the "whole" game.
  • Open-ended/non-linear game design with an emphasis on choice and consequence.
  • Full control over the player's character in every situation.
  • A world with consistent rules that the player can interact with.
  • Narrative that is not always forced on the player, but instead can be told through exploration and gameplay at that players will.
  • No fail states, beyond player death.

https://www.giantbomb.com/immersive-sim/3015-5700/

Everyone keeps gushing about Breath of the Wild's 'emergent gameplay', even though that has been the defining characteristic of this genre since it's inception. Such notable examples include, but are not limited to...

Ultima Underworld (1992)
System Shock (1994)
Thief: The Dark Project (1998)
System Shock 2 (1999)
Thief II: The Metal Age (2000)
Hitman: Codename 47 (2000)
Deus Ex (2000)
Arx Fatalis (2002)
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (2002)
Deus Ex: Invisible War (2003)
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (2004)
Hitman: Contracts (2004)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (2006)
Hitman: Blood Money (2006)
Bioshock (2007)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl (2007)
Fallout 3 (2008)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky (2008)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat (2009)
Bioshock 2 (2010)
Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
Dishonored (2012)
Hitman: Absolution (2012)
Fallout 4 (2015)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)
Hitman (2016)
Dishonored 2 (2016)

I own (or have owned) every game here, except for Ultima Underword, the original Thief, and the most recent Hitman title.

01-04-2017, 04:25 AM
(01-04-2017 04:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)

Fallout 3 (2008)

Fallout 4 (2015)

Well, the bolded ones found me in front of the screen. The other ones didn't interest me much.

01-04-2017, 04:27 AM
(01-04-2017 04:25 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 04:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)

Fallout 3 (2008)

Fallout 4 (2015)

Well, the bolded ones found me in front of the screen. The other ones didn't interest me much.

Those certainly aren't bad picks. I probably have more time dumped into the Fallout series alone than everything else on that list combined.

01-04-2017, 04:28 AM
(01-04-2017 04:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Those certainly aren't bad picks. I probably have more time dumped into the Fallout series alone than everything else on that list combined.

You forgot Morrowind by the way, which got me hooked on the genre. I would also add DA:Origins and at least the first two from the Mass Effect series, although they were linear in comparison.

01-04-2017, 05:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 11:07 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(01-04-2017 04:28 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 04:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Those certainly aren't bad picks. I probably have more time dumped into the Fallout series alone than everything else on that list combined.
You forgot Morrowind by the way, which got me hooked on the genre. I would also add DA:Origins and at least the first two from the Mass Effect series, although they were linear in comparison.

Morrowind is debatable, as it's interactions are very often dice roll based. It wasn't until Oblivion that they ditched the stats determining the probability to hit, and just left that up to actual collision detection. DA:O is not an immersive sim, it's a classic CRPG. While it has the choice and consequence part, it lacks the most important aspect, the emergent gameplay part. DA:O doesn't give you a toolbox that allows for creative solutions to problems, you are very much regimented into the game's combat mechanics. For example, in Deus Ex you can sequence break by using land mines placed on the wall as a makeshift ladder to scale the wall and reach an otherwise inaccessible area, because you lacked the ability to hack, lock-pick, talk or otherwise access the area as the designers intended. Deus Ex give you an objective and lets you get it done with it's entire toolkit, whereas DA:O's only tools are stat based combat or scripted dialogue.

Same thing applies to the Mass Effect series, the amount of interactions you have with the game world is severely curtailed in comparison to what mostly defines the genre. Mass Effect also boils down to just combat and dialogue. You can play different classes and take different teammates, but almost every run through of every mission will play out the same way. Enter the area, kill everything with your allotted abilities, move on to next checkpoint. There are no stealth options, or non-lethal options, outside of something specifically scripted that way. Such instances are not a part of the always accessible toolkit, but rather a one-off instance; violating another cardinal rule of the genre, being world and rule consistency. You can complete an entirely non-lethal run of Deus Ex or Dishonored. Hell, in Dishonored 2 you can do a non-lethal run without any supernatural powers to boot, for extra challenge. But those options, lethal or nonlethal, are always there (and the choice between them have consequences); the game and it's rules are consistent. One off stealth sections, turret sections, or vehicles sections (like those seen in the Mass Effect series), fundamentally change the rules of the game at that moment and violate the spirit of the genre.

Even in Breath of the Wild, you can entirely avoid most encounters. Your approach to such encounters can range from stealthy sneak attacks, environmental traps (dropping metal in a storm as impromptu lighting rods to electrocute enemies), to straight up tossing bombs and wading into melee. If you known what you're doing, you can even skip all of the dungeons, head straight for Gannon and beat the game in under an hour (the aforementioned sequence breaking).