What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2017, 10:06 PM
RE: What are you playing?
(07-04-2017 10:51 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I realize your disdain for Destiny and so be it. If you don't like it... eh... don't really care. Again... It's the people I play with that make it fun.

Here's your Titanfall video. I forgot to start recording until about half way though the match. This is the one that got me to lvl 50

If you're having fun, then you're having fun. But that game is just very slow, running at a pace reminiscent of console shooters more than a decade old; and given it's pedigree, I guess that's not really surprising. Not everything needs to be DOOM, but man. Especially as you have been selling it and yourself, as being a really good player with solid crew and end-game gear? If that video is meant to highlight what to expect of the end-game after hours and hours of investment, it looks entirely unappealing. Take away the benefit of a regular crew, and it appeals even less.

On top of that, it's a loot shooter, which past their intros always seem to have problems with bullet spongy enemies. It was annoying in Borderlands, and really broke immersion in The Division. It just doesn't look like my thing, but whatever, it's not like the industry needs to revolve around my preferences. I just never had much interest in looking into it before, what with it being console exclusive and all, until you kept posting about it. Now I've watched it, and now I have an opinion to share. Funny how that works.

This is coming from someone who used to play the clusterfuck that is PAYDAY 2.

^ The one and only video I ever cared to make, because someone was curious about the game and I made it to show them what I had been talking about. ^

Hip-fire without crosshairs, and look at all those helmets fly.

I have no idea how the game's meta has changed since I made this 2 years ago, but yeah. 'Frenetic' would be the operative word here, and that's not even as crazy as it could get. There are two harder settings above Overkill difficulty; and that's not even the most kinetic build possible (e.g. akimbo pistols, melee builds, shotgun CQC, etc.). But, I still do miss the music. Overkill Software might have ended up fucking over that game and it's fanbase six ways to Sunday, but their music composer (Simon Viklund) is still a fuckin' boss.

It's like old 2D Sonic and Mario. If you're used to and enjoy the speed of Sonic, there's just no denying how much slower Mario is, even for as great as it might be otherwise.

But now you can have an opinion about PAYDAY 2 if you want, so, hooray? Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2017, 12:00 AM
(07-04-2017 10:06 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 10:51 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I realize your disdain for Destiny and so be it. If you don't like it... eh... don't really care. Again... It's the people I play with that make it fun.

Here's your Titanfall video. I forgot to start recording until about half way though the match. This is the one that got me to lvl 50

If you're having fun, then you're having fun. But that game is just very slow, running at a pace reminiscent of console shooters more than a decade old; and given it's pedigree, I guess that's not really surprising. Not everything needs to be DOOM, but man. Especially as you have been selling it and yourself, as being a really good player with solid crew and end-game gear? If that video is meant to highlight what to expect of the end-game after hours and hours of investment, it looks entirely unappealing. Take away the benefit of a regular crew, and it appeals even less.

On top of that, it's a loot shooter, which past their intros always seem to have problems with bullet spongy enemies. It was annoying in Borderlands, and really broke immersion in The Division. It just doesn't look like my thing, but whatever, it's not like the industry needs to revolve around my preferences. I just never had much interest in looking into it before, what with it being console exclusive and all, until you kept posting about it. Now I've watched it, and now I have an opinion to share. Funny how that works.

This is coming from someone who used to play the clusterfuck that is PAYDAY 2.

^ The one and only video I ever cared to make, because someone was curious about the game and I made it to show them what I had been talking about. ^

Hip-fire without crosshairs, and look at all those helmets fly.

I have no idea how the game's meta has changed since I made this 2 years ago, but yeah. 'Frenetic' would be the operative word here, and that's not even as crazy as it could get. There are two harder settings above Overkill difficulty; and that's not even the most kinetic build possible (e.g. akimbo pistols, melee builds, shotgun CQC, etc.). But, I still do miss the music. Overkill Software might have ended up fucking over that game and it's fanbase six ways to Sunday, but their music composer (Simon Viklund) is still a fuckin' boss.

It's like old 2D Sonic and Mario. If you're used to and enjoy the speed of Sonic, there's just no denying how much slower Mario is, even for as great as it might be otherwise.

But now you can have an opinion about PAYDAY 2 if you want, so, hooray? Tongue

Looks like a pretty cool game. I'm certainly not going to argue about a video game.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
08-04-2017, 12:10 AM
(08-04-2017 12:00 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Looks like a pretty cool game. I'm certainly not going to argue about a video game.

If you present something, it's going to get commented on. Simple as that. I didn't have anything to say about Destiny until it you presented it here. I'm not looking to argue, just sharing my opinion; and when it comes to something as subjective as personal enjoyment, there is no 'right' opinion.

08-04-2017, 12:44 AM
Quote:Man, I've never really watched any Destiny gameplay until now, but wow. Master Chief hasn't gotten any faster since I played HALO 2

Boi, I know you're just trolling me.

[Image: oscar.png]
08-04-2017, 01:07 AM
(08-04-2017 12:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Man, I've never really watched any Destiny gameplay until now, but wow. Master Chief hasn't gotten any faster since I played HALO 2

Boi, I know you're just trolling me.

What? Bungie makes games about people in space armor with the movement speed of tanks.

Not modern, but rather the Great War variety.

[Image: sturmpanzerwagen-a7v.jpg]
^ Master Chief's baby picture. ^

Tongue

08-04-2017, 07:51 AM
(08-04-2017 12:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If you present something, it's going to get commented on. Simple as that. I didn't have anything to say about Destiny until it you presented it here. I'm not looking to argue, just sharing my opinion; and when it comes to something as subjective as personal enjoyment, there is no 'right' opinion.

It's all good brother. Although I personally don't look at it though the same lens as you I still enjoy it. But again a lot of that has to do with the people that I play with. That video I posted earlier of the raid. There are a lot of moving parts to it. That was just from my perspective and everything has to fall into place in a very short amount of time or it's a fail. While certainly not as fast paced and frantic as the video you posted the "speed" of movement doesn't matter as much as the entire package.
And although you might not consider Trials much in the competitive department. To me it is. Very few make it all the way and the matches are sweaty as hell. "I" enjoy that. But that's just me.

People used to ask me why I would pay $15 a month to play WoW (and I played for years). It was because I got enjoyment out of it. For the amount of time I spent in WoW the money didn't matter. For the cost of a meal out somewhere I got hours upon hours of enjoyment and entertainment so it was worth it to me. Destiny, to me, fills that same place. Although not perfect by any means it is still fun "to me" and that's all I'm looking for.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
08-04-2017, 11:34 PM
(08-04-2017 01:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 12:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Boi, I know you're just trolling me.

What? Bungie makes games about people in space armor with the movement speed of tanks.

Tongue

I really don't get this, they walk fine...

08-04-2017, 11:48 PM
(08-04-2017 11:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 01:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What? Bungie makes games about people in space armor with the movement speed of tanks.

Tongue

I really don't get this, they walk fine...

It's okay, Bungie seems to make it work for them. But it is comparatively slow, and lends itself to a slower and more deliberate pace. The sales of games made in that mold (HALO, Destiny, Borderlands) demonstrates that there is a market that enjoys that balance. However DOOM would be a much different game if the Doom Slayer was restricted to moving at the same leisurely pace as Master Chief and his Destiny cousins.

Most of the other shooters that I enjoy (Far Cry, PAYDAY, Killing Floor) also move at a considerably faster pace. So yeah, Destiny just looks sluggish in comparison, much like Borderlands does. If it works for you and you enjoy it, great! You do you. It's not like diversity in game design is a bad thing.

I just prefer a avatar who runs, rather than strolls, into combat. Big Grin

09-04-2017, 12:24 AM
It really makes no difference to me how fast a character walks.
If you wanna glide around that's your business but I really don't see Spartans in Halo or Guardians in Destiny as walking at a 'sluggish' pace. I'd argue that they walk at a more normal video game standard pace compared to the likes of Doom which just looks like you're gliding around at unrealistic speed with some slight added gun wobble to give the fake illusion that your characters legs are actually moving.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
09-04-2017, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 03:36 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(09-04-2017 12:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It really makes no difference to me how fast a character walks.
If you wanna glide around that's your business but I really don't see Spartans in Halo or Guardians in Destiny as walking at a 'sluggish' pace. I'd argue that they walk at a more normal video game standard pace compared to the likes of Doom which just looks like you're gliding around at unrealistic speed with some slight added gun wobble to give the fake illusion that your characters legs are actually moving.

Master Chief jogs in combat, Doom Slayer sprints in combat.

"with some slight added gun wobble to give the fake illusion that your characters legs are actually moving."

I'm going to let you in on a little secret muffs, but that's how damn near all games work. Few games engines, let alone first person ones, rely upon dependent kinematics. An example would be the Euphoria animation engine, a technology built into Rockstar's RAGE engine, and utilized in Max Payne 3, Red Dead Redemption, and Grand Theft Auto IV and V. If you ever wondered why at times your avatar is so much more unresponsive in those games, that's why. Because the third person animations are kinematic dependent, that means your character cannot start moving until they've planted their foot and moved their weight. The movement is dependent upon the animation, wheres for the vast majority of games, rather the movement is primary and the animation is dependent upon (or follows) it. Most games opt for simpler and more responsive solutions (as more responsive typically feels and plays better), and try their best to sell the illusion of weight and momentum with good animation and blending techniques.

So in HALO, Destiny, and DOOM, your relative movement speed has nothing to do with the movement of your avatar's legs. None of those games have movement that requires the avatar to physically plant their foot and push off a surface to move. In the end, all movement animation is meant to give the illusion of motion, to hide that fact that you are just a camera moving in a virtual space. That's why so few first person games bother to show your your feet, because when you look down, it's pretty clear that their placement and movement have nothing to do with how your avatar is navigating the world.

So yeah, DOOM uses weapon bob to help sell the suspension of disbelief, as does HALO and Destiny. But weapon bob doesn't do as much to sell the speed of the Doom Slayer, so much as the relative speed of moving through the environment does. The Doom Slayer appears to cover more ground in much less time, so that more than anything else demonstrates his relative speed advantage.

The Doom Slayer fuckin' hustles.

Probably because he's so fuckin' angry.

Actually, I bet he'd get along swimmingly with that pilot chap from Titanfall 2. Tongue