What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2017, 03:21 AM
RE: What are you playing?
Hmm, seems like everyone is either playing FPS games or MMOs.

*sigh*

I think the stork delivered me to the wrong planet ... or wrong century? Wrong dimension? Space-time continuum?

Not much on multi-player games anyhow. I've had bad luck with them I guess. Everyone is such a self-absorbed fucktard that I can't stand even reading their texts. They turn even a goddamn browser game like Scrabble into an intense, highly-competitive, cutthroat, win-at-any-cost shit-on-the-carpet bonanza.

No sense of honor, fair play, or sportsmanship. I don't know. I guess I'm an asshat magnate if I play online, no matter what the game.

Anyhow ... at least there are cat videos.

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2017, 03:34 AM
(09-04-2017 03:21 AM)Shirina Wrote:  Hmm, seems like everyone is either playing FPS games or MMOs.

Uh...

I'm currently on a month long Dragon Age binge.

I just don't limit myself to talking only about Dragon Age while I do so. I enjoy the medium too much to so needlessly limit myself.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
09-04-2017, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 03:53 AM by Shirina.)
(09-04-2017 03:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 03:21 AM)Shirina Wrote:  Hmm, seems like everyone is either playing FPS games or MMOs.

Uh...

I just don't limit myself to talking only about Dragon Age while I do so. I enjoy the medium too much to so needlessly limit myself.

Oh? Is it a good game? I've heard truckloads of good things about it and Dragon Age 2 but it always seems like a brighter, shinier thing captures my attention before I'm able to click the "buy" button.

Also, I certainly can't expect you to ... uhm ... only talk about Dragon Age when I have no idea that you even play Dragon Age. For some inexplicable reason, I just can't seem to access your game collection from this distance. Sorry.

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
09-04-2017, 04:02 AM
So... 62 hours and 47% completion. Of all the things one can say about ME:A, being short ain't one of 'em. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2017, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 05:45 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(09-04-2017 03:48 AM)Shirina Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 03:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Uh...

Oh? Is it a good game? I've heard truckloads of good things about it and Dragon Age 2 but it always seems like a brighter, shinier thing captures my attention before I'm able to click the "buy" button.

Also, I certainly can't expect you to ... uhm ... only talk about Dragon Age when I have no idea that you even play Dragon Age. For some inexplicable reason, I just can't seem to access your game collection from this distance. Sorry.

It's a few pages back, but Dragon Age 2 got brought up, and I've been bingeing on DA2 and Inquisition since then.

The short version is, it's a sorta generic fantasy setting that Bioware created so that they could do their own thing without having to deal with the Dungeons & Dragons license, and all of the jumping through hoops that Hasbro makes you do.

The first, Dragon Age: Origins, is a classic party based computer RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Tomrent, Icewind Dale 2, and Neverwinter Nights 2. If you enjoy slow stats based combat, mechanics that let you effectively break the game if you push them too far, and micromanaging the inventory of an entire party as if you were the fussy mother of octuplet kindergartners? Do you enjoy bog standard Joseph Campbell-esque Hero's Journey tales in the vein of Star Wars? Then you'll probably enjoy DA:O. It probably is the hardest to get into, as the learning curve is a bit steep; and being the first game, it's the oldest and has arguably aged the worst.

Dragon Age II is the red headed step child of the trilogy. It ditches the many different possible protagonists of Origins, and instead focuses on the adventures of one Hawke and the trials and tribulations of their friends and family over the course of many years. It has a unique narrative angle, ditching the continent spanning adventure for one in a central location but spread out over time. The story also ditches the Hero's Journey in favor of Greek tragedy; you are not a chosen hero or a special little snowflake, you just happen to be a capable person in the wrong place at the right (and also, very often wrong) time. It was also the game that introduced a voiced protagonist, and has the most well fleshed out cadre of companions and supporting cast this side of the entire Mass Effect trilogy. Combat is faster and streamlined, but retain tactical complexity, even if you cannot zoom all the way out for a completely overhead tactical view. Even though it shares the same engine and generation of tech as Origins, it's cleaner and more distinct aesthetic design holds up better than it's predecessor; DAII still looks good on it's own terms. The game is easily the most divisive game in the trilogy, but if you enjoyed Mass Effect or a good story, you'll probably enjoy your time with it.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the most recent entry, and ditched the old engine in favor of the technology used to run the Battlefield series. So massive open maps are the order of the day. Combat steps even further away from the standard set on DA:O, and plays more like a typical action game (i.e. warriors have an actual block move, and timing it correctly in combat is important). Unfortunately these massive maps are filled with little more than busy work, and you can mainline the story and skip a lot of it; but expected to get bogged down if you are a completionist or suffer from mild OCD. Arguable the most fun to play in the moment, provided you have a controller, it arguably has the weakest narrative of the trilogy. Still is builds upon the world and events of it's predecessors, so I found myself invested in it's mythos already (plus seeing the return of DAII's Hawke as an integral part of the story was a plus, as Hawke is the best). It also ditches the format of DAII and returns to the more typical continent spanning Hero's Journey story seen in DA:O. Also the best companion Inquisition is a direct lift from DAII, cause Varric is also the best.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-04-2017, 04:32 AM
Ah okay, thanks for the run-down. Are you playing the original, then?

Just wondering if it's worth playing the 3 in order or if I should just play the most recent one.

I'm definitely a completionist who, because of wanting to complete everything, has a hard time completing the actual game. Like ... all of the Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall.

09-04-2017, 04:39 AM
(09-04-2017 03:48 AM)Shirina Wrote:  Oh? Is it a good game? I've heard truckloads of good things about it and Dragon Age 2 but it always seems like a brighter, shinier thing captures my attention before I'm able to click the "buy" button.

It's a matter of taste. I for one never got down to buying DAII because I already hated it's guts from what I saw in the demo and later on on youtube vids and other sources.

I loved DA:O and liked DA:I. Completely different games the both of them, but they managed to appeal to what I generally like in games. Exploration, interaction and story. DAII had one of the best one on paper. But according to all I saw, the poorest one when it came to execution. The premisse fell flat on it's face many times.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
09-04-2017, 04:50 AM
(09-04-2017 04:39 AM)abaris Wrote:  DAII had one of the best one on paper. But according to all I saw, the poorest one when it came to execution. The premisse fell flat on it's face many times.

Which as someone who has played that game through more than a dozen times, in comparison to his zero, I will continue to dispute and/or give him shit over it. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-04-2017, 04:55 AM
I've only played DA:I 'cause going backwards sux. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-04-2017, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 05:37 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(09-04-2017 04:32 AM)Shirina Wrote:  Ah okay, thanks for the run-down. Are you playing the original, then?

Just wondering if it's worth playing the 3 in order or if I should just play the most recent one.

I'm definitely a completionist who, because of wanting to complete everything, has a hard time completing the actual game. Like ... all of the Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall.

That's actually what bugs me about Inquisition the most, and one of the great things about DAII. Because of the different protagonists you can make in Inquisition (male and female, 4 different races, 3 class archetypes), there will always be stuff you are missing because you are not the correct class, race, or gender. This of course doesn't even take into account all of the filler MMO styled fetch quests that make up the majority of things to do in each zone of Inquisition.

In DAII, you are always Hawke. You can be male or female, and one of 3 class archetypes, but you are always a human. A necessity of that game's family centered Greek tragedy. But it helps with the possible anxiety, the feeling like you're not getting it all. Your class will have a pretty significant affect on the story right off the bat, but you'll still see the vast majority of what the game has to offer on a single run.