What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2017, 01:54 PM
RE: What are you playing?
(13-09-2017 09:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I still need to make an all missile/torpedo/warhead build, just to do my best Macross impression. The SRM Missile pods fire swarms of missiles at a time, allowing you to quite literally fill the sky with missiles.

Macross Missile Massacre ftw!

--

Pandemic 2: Take That Madagascar!

[Image: TN7ldPe.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
13-09-2017, 11:41 PM
(13-09-2017 09:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  And done...

Carrier builds are way more hands-off that a more typical cannon centered destroyer, but there is still a kinda perverse joy in being able to destroy targets at very long rangers on auto-pilot. Positioning, outside of just staying within the outermost range of your target, is far less important. You also have little control over your offensive swarm of fighters and bombers, outside of designating a single specific target with E (which will also sick all of your support fleet on that target as well).

I still need to make an all missile/torpedo/warhead build, just to do my best Macross impression. The SRM Missile pods fire swarms of missiles at a time, allowing you to quite literally fill the sky with missiles.

That was pretty insane.

I'm finding I'm liking a mixture of weapons. I've currently got medium missiles on the back left and right (I prefer the fast moving missiles to the torpedoes), slap some shield wrecking lasers on the front and then have cannons on the nose, flak on the engine and cannons on the last couple spaces.

I find the missiles lock on at very long range so as I'm closing the distance they fire off and can poke the enemy before I get into range with my cannons and lasers. Having cannons on the nose is particularly affective I find.
I'm pretty happy with the flak on the engine too. It can hit 360degrees so it does the job and usually, I'm pointing my nose at the enemy.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-09-2017, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2017 03:53 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(13-09-2017 11:41 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  That was pretty insane.

I'm finding I'm liking a mixture of weapons. I've currently got medium missiles on the back left and right (I prefer the fast moving missiles to the torpedoes), slap some shield wrecking lasers on the front and then have cannons on the nose, flak on the engine and cannons on the last couple spaces.

I find the missiles lock on at very long range so as I'm closing the distance they fire off and can poke the enemy before I get into range with my cannons and lasers. Having cannons on the nose is particularly affective I find.
I'm pretty happy with the flak on the engine too. It can hit 360degrees so it does the job and usually, I'm pointing my nose at the enemy.

Flak Cannons are definitely a step up from the Mini-Guns, but if you want real anti-missile defense, get yourself a Defender Hangar once you get access to large slot pieces. Also keep in mind that Flak Cannon are anti-missile only weapons, and do not fire against ships. If you want a dedicated anti-ship cannon to cover your back, especially against enemy support craft, I'd suggest going with either the Particle Hose or the Sniper Cannon. The Sniper Cannon especially is effective as a skirmisher weapon, or when you find yourself in 3 against 1 fights, and need to thin out the support craft before closing in on the pursuing motherships. Sniper Cannons allow you to put a good bit of damage at long range, and their speed and tight grouping allow them to be quite accurate at range; especially so if something it flying straight at you from behind in quick pursuit. Do not underestimate the effectiveness of running away from a fight, to let the weaker masses of support craft throw themselves at you piecemeal, while you destroy them one by one. I've been in some really knock-down-drag-out fights that took upwards of 10~15 minutes before, just because destroying nearly 40 commands points worth of support fleet from 3 enemy motherships without being overwhelmed takes time. But also, leveling up 5 times in a row from a single fight is pretty fuckin' sweet.

I've yet to find myself in one of those dire 3 on 1 pursuit fights with my carrier build, but I imagine that with a 750 unit range for all my attack craft, that it would be quite effective at the roll. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to build a better skirmisher.

While the 1200 unit range on standard Missile is nice, also remember that if those are the first things to hit a mothership, it'll be against their active shield and be doing only 25% of their already small damage. The longest range effective anti-shield weapons are probably the various Zapper fighter hangars, at 750 units. The Ion Warhead is powerful and has an excellent 850 unit range, but slow as hell and really only effective against motherships and starbases (but the Battle Wagon AI will launch it constantly at just about anything). The Ion SRM is very effective, unleashing a swarm of micro-missiles to devastate shields, but it has a decidedly shorter range at just 450; an excellent choice for a short range brawler.

Also, while Torpedoes are slower and have a slightly shorter range (at a still obnoxious 1100 units), their increased health and damage more than makes up for it. They're also pure health damage, which is designed to chip away at the more health spongy motherships and starbases, the two things already moving too slow to avoid them. Also large pieces get 2 Torpedoes pods, unlike medium pieces which only get one. This means that for just a single extra core slot, you can double your firepower. Given 6 continuous slots, you could have 3 medium wings each with a single Torpedo, or 2 large wings with 2 Torpedoes each. Compare that to basic Missiles, where a small piece has a single launcher, medium pieces have dual launchers, and large pieces have three launchers. Torpedoes allow you to cheese things a bit and get more bang out of a smaller space. Even if you assume that 2 Missiles are equivalent to a single Torpedo, as that's what you can fit on a single medium piece, the fact that large pieces double your Torpedo launchers but only increase your Missile launchers by 50% makes Torpedoes the clear victor in slots-to-damage.

Another thing to keep in mind with some anti-shield weapons, in that some work only against shields. While the default lasers are effective against shields, they still do 50% against armor and 25% against health. So even when a target's shields are down, those laser will continue to fire. However some anti-shield weapons only damage shields, and the armor and health icons are grayed out. This is a double edged sword, in that those weapons tend to be even more effective against shields than their more general purpose counterparts. However they will stop firing unless there is a target in range with a shield. This can be a good thing however, if the rest of your armament is very energy hungry, such as banks of Plasma Dischargers that cost 70 energy a pop. The AI is smart enough to not fire shield-only weapons against unshielded enemies.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
14-09-2017, 06:07 AM
Don't forget Gravity Missiles!

If you want to slow something down, Gravity Missiles work like a charm. They bounce off a shielded enemy, but will drag an unshielded one to a screeching halt. It does wonders to keep the smaller support craft in check (only the Large support craft have shields), making them sitting ducks for slower moving ordnance (Torpedoes and Pulser cannons). Plus you can outfit them on certain support craft, so you don't even need to waste space on your own mothership to make use of them.

Every support craft with at least a medium sized launcher can equip them. This includes the Gimp fighter from the small units, every medium unit except the Mule and Tang, and the large Shatter unit. Also, the only support craft capable of equipping Warhead classed weapons (such as the Ion Warhead) is the Star Cruiser.

14-09-2017, 06:39 AM
I bought an Xbox 360 a while back and played thru Halo3 and 4.

Since then, I just can't seem to bring myself to sit and play. I was even laid up with a cold - and just could not bring myself to fire up a game.

I just have too much else to do.

Unsure

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Well, making an all launcher build has been a pain, as their biggest weakness is shields. They really only have two options, the Ion SRM, which fires a volley and many weak munitions that needles the enemy at a relatively short range (450 is less than half the range of Missiles and Torpedoes), or the massive Ion Warhead, which moves so slow as to be useless against anything but motherships and starbases. Also not all factions can equip all launchers on their large wing pieces. So I have to cheat a bit, and rely upon Zapper or Ion Bomber hangars, which at least have a respectable 750 unit range. Zappers are fast and more agile, certainly more general purpose; and they're certainly more useful against support craft than the slower (but far more powerful) Ion Bombers, so they're the safer bet. Then again, the Ion Bombers are another shield-only unit, so once a ship's shields are down, they'll just move on to the next shielded target within range instead of wasting their time doing sub-par armor damage.

So to get the launchers and hangars I needed, I had to switch from Miners Conglomerate to Void Militia parts. I do go with 2 squadrons of Ion Bombers (12 total) out of the nose and engine sections. I filled the remaining 6 wings with 4 Cloud Torpedo and 2 Defender Hangar wings (I've used the anti-missile Defender Hangars on every build so far, they're too damn good at what they do). Since I had changed faction pieces (as the Clockwork Crew does not have their own unique equipment), I swapped out my Miner themed support fleet for a Militia one consisting of 4 large Hammerhead destroyers, equipped with shield-only dual Ion Beams and health shredding dual Plasma Dischargers; 64 Command Points has it's benefits.

So how well did it work?

[Image: 1bf.gif]

This experiment was an abysmal failure. This is a super shit idea, don't even try it.

Right off the bat, 4 big Hammerheads starting so close to one another, they can kill themselves with their opening volley of fire with their Plasma Dischargers. On all three battles I tried, their opening volley killed one of them and severely wounded the remaining three, leaving me without any support in very short order.

My first attempt at a starbase raid turned into a 3 on 1 against me, and I was unable to outrun one of the motherships. It managed to needle me constantly with it's own Zapper Hangars, so I could never get my shields back. Eventually I lost my engine, turned into a sitting duck, and got blown to pieces. If you cannot keep a decent amount of space between you and your targets, you're gonna have a bad time. I did however learn that your Torpedoes don't track your designated target (E key) that sicks your support fleet onto them, but rather the soft lock (the white and red cross-hairs around a target) that you get when hovering your reticle over a enemy for a second or so.

My second attempt went a little better, in that I managed to off one of the motherships that killed me previously in a one-on-one fight. So my second attempt at the motherbase only had a single mothership in support, which I was also able to take out, even if it took a stupidly long time to do. However I was utterly flummoxed by the starbase, because of one weapon; their Mass Warheads. When detonated Mass Warheads create temporary black holes on the battlefield. My prior encounters with them had mostly been irritating, in that they only really slowed me down, but did little else. As it turn out, their black hole nature is more literally than I thought, and they actually suck in Missiles and Torpedoes. So every 10 seconds I was firing a massive volley of Torpedoes, only to have them or my own Defender Hangar setting off one of the 4 Mass Warheads sent my way, which just vacuumed up all of my Torpedoes. I was in a permanent stalemate. My Ion Bombers couldn't damage the starbase's health, and my Torpedoes couldn't get past the exploding Mass Warheads.

So, yeah, an all Launcher build sucks ass. I tested this shit, so you don't have to.

14-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Also, fun fact, you can tune the parameters of a Sandbox game at any time from the options menu. Think the tax rate is too damn high? You can change it, on the fly, without needing to generate a whole new sandbox.

Mind. Blown.

15-09-2017, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2017 04:25 AM by DLJ.)
I am a fan of slot games. Currently playing on BitStarz
'cause I have read on Link Removed about free bonuses (20 free spins). I think slot games are easy to play and relaxing. Once I won 200$
15-09-2017, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2017 04:26 AM by DLJ.)
(15-09-2017 03:42 AM)MuntyJay Wrote:  I am a fan of slot games. Currently playing on BitStarz
'cause I have read on Link Removed about free bonuses (20 free spins). I think slot games are easy to play and relaxing. Once I won 200$

Dude, no. Please, don't post links to online gambling.

You sound like a paid-for advertising spot.

Stop that. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-09-2017, 08:36 AM
I did it EK, I bought SPaZ 2.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post