What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2017, 07:38 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(31-10-2017 07:10 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-10-2017 01:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Last night I finished Mass Effect 3 on Insanity.

About two hours ago I started up my blind Veteran run of Dead Space 3.

What the fuck did you do EA? What did you make Visceral do!?

Don't worry Visceral is dead now.

It's a shame they didn't die before being forced to rape the corpse of their legacy...

Seriously; Dead Space. It's a goddamn horror series by nature. I get they you have to change things up to prevent stagnation but... the fuck?

In the first minute of gameplay you have a gun, and are shooting human cultists.

Where's the tension? The fear of being unarmed in a hostile and deadly situation?! That's one of the key things in the core series for fuck sake! And they changed the ammunition to be universal! Goodbye inventory management! You weren't at all a vital part of the tension-filled atmosphere of the prior two games by enforcing scarcity, not at all!

It's just... I want to know: was this debacle the result of Visceral having a collective stroke, or the guns of the Electronic Arts Overlords at the backs of their skulls?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2017, 07:43 AM
My wife and I are playing 7 Days to Die with a friend. It's super fun so far. We've got a nice little home base, still working on fortifying it and leveling up so we can make more food and guns and stuff. We're a bit past day 14 now.

That first 7th day, though, wow... that was a rough blood moon.

Then yesterday we were attacked by a military swarm. It was kind of funny watching them throw themselves at the spikes. Laugh out load
31-10-2017, 07:56 AM
(31-10-2017 07:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-10-2017 07:10 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Don't worry Visceral is dead now.

It's a shame they didn't die before being forced to rape the corpse of their legacy...

Seriously; Dead Space. It's a goddamn horror series by nature. I get they you have to change things up to prevent stagnation but... the fuck?

In the first minute of gameplay you have a gun, and are shooting human cultists.

Where's the tension? The fear of being unarmed in a hostile and deadly situation?! That's one of the key things in the core series for fuck sake! And they changed the ammunition to be universal! Goodbye inventory management! You weren't at all a vital part of the tension-filled atmosphere of the prior two games by enforcing scarcity, not at all!

It's just... I want to know: was this debacle the result of Visceral having a collective stroke, or the guns of the Electronic Arts Overlords at the backs of their skulls?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-11-2017, 05:46 AM
[Image: EECE31FC08E84787360A2D1D999BBF1A52D41929]

Still glitching my was through games.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-11-2017, 09:51 PM
(31-10-2017 12:03 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 11:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yep, Destiny 2 continues to be a compelling loop of gameplay.
That's funny cause I got about 7 hours in and already uninstalled it cause it was the same game I've had for 3 years that I was already bored with. Different strokes for different folks.

(30-10-2017 11:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Certainly has been a hell of a lot more fun than Borderlands ever was.
Gameplay wise absolutely, the shooting mechanics are very good in Destiny. I just find the game soulless, uninspired, and lazy in almost every other area.

(30-10-2017 11:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Also, bringing a sword to a goddamn gunfight is fuckin' tits.
[Image: w8i6ho2.gif]

Well, maybe if they ever had ported the original to PC, I too might be burned out. As is, I'm having fun honing my double jumping to glide effortlessly through the environment, punching aliens in the face. Also, nobody else seems to use the sword power weapon. In every public event that involves getting swarmed (e.g. glimmer drill), I'm always out in front killing most of the pack myself, letting everyone else safely sit on the capture points.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
02-11-2017, 12:51 AM
(01-11-2017 09:51 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, maybe if they ever had ported the original to PC, I too might be burned out.
I don't know if I'd say I'm burnt out as I am just....it feels like a retread, there is not enough new. Even though I played the first one on PS4 and this one on PC (thank fuck it cost me nothing) it just feels like a rehash. The fact that the campaign has exactly zero challenge at any point didn't help either :/

(01-11-2017 09:51 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As is, I'm having fun honing my double jumping to glide effortlessly through the environment, punching aliens in the face. Also, nobody else seems to use the sword power weapon. In every public event that involves getting swarmed (e.g. glimmer drill), I'm always out in front killing most of the pack myself, letting everyone else safely sit on the capture points.
Oh ya man go ham, I'm not some elitist who thinks people shouldn't play games I don't like, if you are having fun then it's all good. I reinstalled Vermintide after the gameplay trailer for the second one and I'm all hyped up for it haha

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
02-11-2017, 12:53 AM
(31-10-2017 07:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  It's just... I want to know: was this debacle the result of Visceral having a collective stroke, or the guns of the Electronic Arts Overlords at the backs of their skulls?

02-11-2017, 12:55 AM
(02-11-2017 12:51 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Oh ya man go ham, I'm not some elitist who thinks people shouldn't play games I don't like, if you are having fun then it's all good. I reinstalled Vermintide after the gameplay trailer for the second one and I'm all hyped up for it haha

Vermintide was a really good L4D2 with melee combat. Too bad I fell off because the loot system RNG felt like bullshit. Undecided

02-11-2017, 01:19 AM
(02-11-2017 12:55 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 12:51 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Oh ya man go ham, I'm not some elitist who thinks people shouldn't play games I don't like, if you are having fun then it's all good. I reinstalled Vermintide after the gameplay trailer for the second one and I'm all hyped up for it haha

Vermintide was a really good L4D2 with melee combat. Too bad I fell off because the loot system RNG felt like bullshit. Undecided

They have made a lot of improvements to the loot system, but even now it's really my only sticking point with it. The new stuff in the 2nd has me excited as fuck though, especially the added enemy variety of throwing Nurgle blessed Chaos warriors in the mix.

It's a day one purchase for me I can tell you that haha.

02-11-2017, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2017 01:44 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(02-11-2017 01:19 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 12:55 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Vermintide was a really good L4D2 with melee combat. Too bad I fell off because the loot system RNG felt like bullshit. Undecided

They have made a lot of improvements to the loot system, but even now it's really my only sticking point with it. The new stuff in the 2nd has me excited as fuck though, especially the added enemy variety of throwing Nurgle blessed Chaos warriors in the mix.

It's a day one purchase for me I can tell you that haha.

I'll keep my eye out on it, wait to take it's temperature after launch. I certainly do not begrudge the time I spent with Vermintide, but it was only a fraction of the time I spent with L4D2 or Killing Floor, and I think how the loot was handled was the biggest problem for me. But for now I have Destiny 2, and come next year I'll have Monster Hunter World to sink my teeth into.

In L4D2 you could typically get decent weapons if you were playing well, and I enjoyed using them all. No character forced you to play a particular way. Same with Killing Floor, in that you would use whatever weapons you could afford, but mixing it up mid game was always an option. But everyone at the start of the game had access to all the same options. Adding loot to that can incetivize replayability, but it's a two edge sword. I wasn't getting stuff for the characters I liked playing, which made me feel like I was wasting my time because now it wasn't just about playing the game, now I had a meta-game progression to be worried about, one where the entirety of progression tied to fickle RNG bullshit. There are no stand alone character progression, like in Killing Floor, so I could at least be happy in getting class XP and progression, it was all tied to loot drops. Which also meant that you couldn't' even experiment or play with other weapon loadouts until RNGesus blessed with with a new category of weapon to play with. If the RPG for the Demolition class in Killing Floor was hiding behind RNG, I'd be pissed too.

If I did well in L4D2, I could be confident I'd get an assault rifle or sniper rifle relatively quickly. If I played well in Killing Floor, I'd have the cash to purchase the weapons I liked using in short order. If I played well in Vermintide, I might at the end have a chance to roll for a piece of equipment, that will most likely be for a character I don't play, or be subpar, or a duplicate. The game was in dire need of a Diablo 3 inspired Loot 2.0 system, to tilt the drop percentages strongly in favor of gear applicable to who you are currently playing. Then again, because you couldn't double up, forcing you to get loot for a character I don't enjoy playing? That 1 unique character limit was an aesthetic choice in L4D2, but in Vermintide it changed the gameplay. I'll be curious to see how the sequel plans to circle these squares.

Also, that Destiny 2 soundtrack is pretty boss. The haunting string quartet that gets the thundering brass drum layer added to it as you are traveling through the wilderness after escaping the Last City at the tail end of the intro? That damn song is still stuck in my head.