What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2017, 03:51 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(19-11-2017 03:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-11-2017 02:58 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So... Mining.... Went into a Metal Rich planetary ring.

Aaaand found water and peroxide.

Well, to be fair, perhaps the 'Metal Rich' part applies to the system or the planet itself? As far as I can remember, the rings of Saturn are predominately ice. Whether or not that trend is something that has been confirmed on other planets, let alone across teh galaxy, I cannot say; but it could be the basis of that implementation. So maybe the rich metal deposits are elsewhere?

Nah, it applies to the ring specifically in this instance. There are probably hundreds of thousands of rocks orbiting the planet. Some of them have to have something other than water and Death Water.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2017, 04:08 AM
(19-11-2017 03:51 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(19-11-2017 03:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, to be fair, perhaps the 'Metal Rich' part applies to the system or the planet itself? As far as I can remember, the rings of Saturn are predominately ice. Whether or not that trend is something that has been confirmed on other planets, let alone across teh galaxy, I cannot say; but it could be the basis of that implementation. So maybe the rich metal deposits are elsewhere?

Nah, it applies to the ring specifically in this instance. There are probably hundreds of thousands of rocks orbiting the planet. Some of them have to have something other than water and Death Water.

Well, in that case, 'Metal Rich' must be relative. So the rings are going to be predominately water ice, much like how most of Earth is comprised of silicates.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
19-11-2017, 04:22 AM
(19-11-2017 04:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-11-2017 03:51 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Nah, it applies to the ring specifically in this instance. There are probably hundreds of thousands of rocks orbiting the planet. Some of them have to have something other than water and Death Water.

Well, in that case, 'Metal Rich' must be relative. So the rings are going to be predominately water ice, much like how most of Earth is comprised of silicates.

I think under normal circumstances, the designation of a ring or asteroid cluster denotes the average ratios of metals to minerals found in asteroids.

Knowing me, I'm just so unlucky I'm undershooting the averages so bad I'm only getting trash.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-11-2017, 04:52 AM
(19-11-2017 02:58 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So... Mining.... Went into a Metal Rich planetary ring.

Common beginners fallacy. Tongue
Firstoff the ring needs to be metallic, not metal rich.
Then, you need PRISTINE reserves in metallic rings.

PRISTINE

Mining guide

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
19-11-2017, 05:00 AM
(19-11-2017 04:52 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  

Common beginners fallacy. Tongue
Firstoff the ring needs to be metallic, not metal rich.
Then, you need PRISTINE reserves in metallic rings.

PRISTINE

Mining guide

Yeah, I know, I know. I wanted to test out how limpets work, and maybe get an down payment on my investment in outfitting my new Minobra. I wasn't expecting to come out with a hold full of painite and platinum, but I was hoping to find some metals.

Limpets sharing cargo hold space, and being limited to one prospector to one collector is a pain too.
The nearest Pristine Metallic Ring I could find I think was about 70Lys away from my little Hub Zone around the 18 Scorpii system... I haven't logged in for a few hours.
Wish I could upgrade my thrusters... every option will go over mass...

19-11-2017, 05:18 AM
Thats why those metallic rings with pristine reserves are so rare, to avoid making mining being Op´ed.
Back in the day when i was mining the expansion wasnt out yet and i had to scoop ore with my ship, imagine that.

Reading and writing this i am really tempted to get my yoke, stick and Track IR out (got a second monitor now too) and play again. Big Grin

Exploring the galaxy really was awesome.

Btw., did you know that people were able to actually find the voyager probes based on their current trajectory and the time passed until Elite? Shocking

19-11-2017, 05:24 AM
(19-11-2017 05:18 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Thats why those metallic rings with pristine reserves are so rare, to avoid making mining being Op´ed.
Back in the day when i was mining the expansion wasnt out yet and i had to scoop ore with my ship, imagine that.

Reading and writing this i am really tempted to get my yoke, stick and Track IR out (got a second monitor now too) and play again. Big Grin

Exploring the galaxy really was awesome.

Btw., did you know that people were able to actually find the voyager probes based on their current trajectory and the time passed until Elite? Shocking

That's a really cool detail.

19-11-2017, 05:26 AM

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
19-11-2017, 03:41 PM
[Image: met.jpg]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3425203]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-11-2017, 05:33 PM
[Image: tbx0b7iki5yz.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post