What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 08:51 PM
RE: What are you playing?
The new EU4 expansion, Wealth of Nations, of course.
Improved trade system, greater specialization for trade nations, improved merchant republics, improved ease of empire management, new power projection system, automated papal influence (this alone is worthy of me screaming for joy), added canals for late game, improved rival system, privateers, new policy system, added more religions, improved Hindu religion, improved eastern colonization, added Australian colonial nation zone.
I am one happy camper. I can now conqueror the world with less tediousness, love it.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2014, 11:37 AM
(30-05-2014 06:27 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 10:24 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Whats wrong with COD?

I find getting the chance to let off steam by shooting peeps in the head quite therapeutic and fun. Tongue
  • The community is acidic.
  • The gameplay is repetitive.
  • It's not much more than a cash-cow franchise.
  • In general there is little re-playability.
  • I have yet to see CoD multiplayer be legitimately balanced.
  • Always with the exploits...

I'm as susceptible to the occasional bout of CoD as much as the next person, but I'm at the point where I simply can't enjoy it any more: Between shitty lagging servers, poorly balanced weapons, and the average player being an immature foolish (adult-)child, there is just not much fun to be had.

I'm new here, and by no means a CoD fan, but I have to back up HobbitGirl.
  • The community is comprised of adolescents. If you can't banter with a 12-year-old, you might want to lighten up.
  • The gameplay is repetitive. Fun when you're playing with friends, especially when high.
  • Saying that a game series is a cash-cow franchise is arguably the same thing as saying it is popular (i.e. successful)
  • There are hours and hours to be spent replaying the same maps over and over again in multiplayer.
  • The multiplayer games are insane. That's part of the fun.

I don't play it very often, but sometimes it's fun Smile
31-05-2014, 12:31 PM
(31-05-2014 11:37 AM)catgoblin Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 06:27 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
  • The community is acidic.
  • The gameplay is repetitive.
  • It's not much more than a cash-cow franchise.
  • In general there is little re-playability.
  • I have yet to see CoD multiplayer be legitimately balanced.
  • Always with the exploits...

I'm as susceptible to the occasional bout of CoD as much as the next person, but I'm at the point where I simply can't enjoy it any more: Between shitty lagging servers, poorly balanced weapons, and the average player being an immature foolish (adult-)child, there is just not much fun to be had.

I'm new here, and by no means a CoD fan, but I have to back up HobbitGirl.
  • The community is comprised of adolescents. If you can't banter with a 12-year-old, you might want to lighten up.
  • The gameplay is repetitive. Fun when you're playing with friends, especially when high.
  • Saying that a game series is a cash-cow franchise is arguably the same thing as saying it is popular (i.e. successful)
  • There are hours and hours to be spent replaying the same maps over and over again in multiplayer.

Assuming what you say is correct, that the community is comprised mostly of 12 year olds, that just raises the question: Why are they playing that game? Additionally, banter is not part of the equation here; I see no way to banter with people who are more inclined to abuse than reasonable conservation, unless you suggest I also start abusing players. I hate kids, but I'm not so heartless.

We agree on the gameplay. CoD games in my experience don't often lend themselves well to cooperation unless you and your mates are very well coordinated and in a game mode which demands it. And even then, non-party players are likely to just betray you in some way regardless, but it can be fun to dick around, I'll give you that one.. I'm not even going to touch the high part, cause no thanks.

Saying something is a cash-cow and saying something is popular aren't necessarily the same things. Cash-cows are overwhelmingly samey: Because old, tired but successful still will sell, whereas new, untried IP might not, so the risks aren't taken in favour of milking the cash-cows, which is why I brought it up as a reason to dislike the game.

Problem with that is, as you mentioned, it's playing the same maps over and over again for hours, and in my experience there really is not much variety; people always head down the same paths and pull the same dumb stunts. Every damn time. It seems like the games are built around just getting people to the point where they turn on autopilot and just play through the motions every game because there is nothing else to do.

I don't really see how that excuses the lack of over-all balance and frequent exploit-abuse. Being in a game with a guy who's bugged or broken the game to practical immortality is not remotely fun. Nor is being on the receiving end of, as you say insane, weapons. (Okay, just going to ask as an aside on the weapons, who thought up the idea of levelling up for weapons? Grinding is reaaaaal fun in a game like that. Have they gotten rid of that system yet, I've not really been paying attention.)

You are right, sometimes it is fun to play CoD, but it seems so overwhelmingly against in terms of good games vs bad as to not be worth the effort to play anyway.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-05-2014, 12:54 PM
(31-05-2014 12:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 11:37 AM)catgoblin Wrote:  I'm new here, and by no means a CoD fan, but I have to back up HobbitGirl.

Assuming what you say is correct, that the community is comprised mostly of 12 year olds, that just raises the question: Why are they playing that game? Additionally, banter is not part of the equation here; I see no way to banter with people who are more inclined to abuse than reasonable conservation, unless you suggest I also start abusing players. I hate kids, but I'm not so heartless.

We agree on the gameplay. CoD games in my experience don't often lend themselves well to cooperation unless you and your mates are very well coordinated and in a game mode which demands it. And even then, non-party players are likely to just betray you in some way regardless, but it can be fun to dick around, I'll give you that one.. I'm not even going to touch the high part, cause no thanks.

Saying something is a cash-cow and saying something is popular aren't necessarily the same things. Cash-cows are overwhelmingly samey: Because old, tired but successful still will sell, whereas new, untried IP might not, so the risks aren't taken in favour of milking the cash-cows, which is why I brought it up as a reason to dislike the game.

Problem with that is, as you mentioned, it's playing the same maps over and over again for hours, and in my experience there really is not much variety; people always head down the same paths and pull the same dumb stunts. Every damn time. It seems like the games are built around just getting people to the point where they turn on autopilot and just play through the motions every game because there is nothing else to do.

I don't really see how that excuses the lack of over-all balance and frequent exploit-abuse. Being in a game with a guy who's bugged or broken the game to practical immortality is not remotely fun. Nor is being on the receiving end of, as you say insane, weapons. (Okay, just going to ask as an aside on the weapons, who thought up the idea of levelling up for weapons? Grinding is reaaaaal fun in a game like that. Have they gotten rid of that system yet, I've not really been paying attention.)

You are right, sometimes it is fun to play CoD, but it seems so overwhelmingly against in terms of good games vs bad as to not be worth the effort to play anyway.

I dare you to join a CoD game and call a 12-year-old a faggot. No one will cry. The kid will likely laugh at you. You'll probably start laughing at yourself, because it's so ridiculous. Kids are the best people to hang out with, because they're almost guaranteed to know how to have fun.

As to the gameplay, I'm not going to get into it, as it clearly has problems (to say the least). But, as someone who will soon be entering the gaming workforce, I like the fact that game cash-cows exist. No one was harmed in the making of Ghosts, something was created, wealth was gained, and a bunch of people had fun. My point is, there's nothing wrong with kitsch.

Also, I recommend that you get high once in awhile. Also, maybe, laid. Wink
31-05-2014, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 01:35 PM by Metazoa Zeke.)
(31-05-2014 12:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 11:37 AM)catgoblin Wrote:  I'm new here, and by no means a CoD fan, but I have to back up HobbitGirl.

Every game is, It is just that if you say every game has 12 year olds then you can't talk shit on cod. Because in my experience I have met only 20 12 year olds in my entire career of cod. Dodgy

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
31-05-2014, 01:31 PM
(31-05-2014 12:54 PM)catgoblin Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Assuming what you say is correct, that the community is comprised mostly of 12 year olds, that just raises the question: Why are they playing that game? Additionally, banter is not part of the equation here; I see no way to banter with people who are more inclined to abuse than reasonable conservation, unless you suggest I also start abusing players. I hate kids, but I'm not so heartless.

I dare you to join a CoD game and call a 12-year-old a faggot. No one will cry. The kid will likely laugh at you. You'll probably start laughing at yourself, because it's so ridiculous. Kids are the best people to hang out with, because they're almost guaranteed to know how to have fun.

As to the gameplay, I'm not going to get into it, as it clearly has problems (to say the least). But, as someone who will soon be entering the gaming workforce, I like the fact that game cash-cows exist. No one was harmed in the making of Ghosts, something was created, wealth was gained, and a bunch of people had fun. My point is, there's nothing wrong with kitsch.

Also, I recommend that you get high once in awhile. Also, maybe, laid. Wink

Yeah, no thanks.

I'm not exactly inclined to finding calling random people bunches of sticks fun... I'd rather just have a reasonable conversation and a hard-fought battle, win or lose. Or just one of them.

Also, no thanks again on the high thing. I like my cognition of reality not impaired or altered...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Slogging through Soul Calibur II HD Online, which is easier now than it was the last time I played it. Not sure what changed.

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
31-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Cthulhu saves the world.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-05-2014, 08:05 PM
(31-05-2014 07:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Cthulhu saves the world.

I remember reading a long time ago about a 'Cthulu' game, the only thing I remember about it really was that it was survival horror and had in interesting madness mechanic: for instance, the more your character looked at a creature the more insane he would become, eventually committing suicide.

I wish I could find that game.

31-05-2014, 08:07 PM
(31-05-2014 07:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Cthulhu saves the world.

Strange that Cthulhu saves the world. Isn't he supposed to plunge it into eternal chaos?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube