What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 12:06 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(06-01-2014 05:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 05:01 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Perhaps, but have you considered this:

You can also play on a laptop in your hotel...and at the airport...on the bus...on a beach (I wouldn't but you could)...on the plane...at a cafe...etc.

Not with my laptop.
It plays some games great, but it can't play things like bf4.

Not to mention anything you want to do on a desktop just about doubles the price of a laptop, but with the only advantage being mobility (seriously, getting the performance of a $1K desktop would cost you upwards of $2K). You lose the ability to easily upgrade or replace parts that break. Also any PC game worth playing is worth playing with a mouse and not a touch pad, so you'll have to sit it down someplace you can use a mouse; and so might as well just have a desktop.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-01-2014, 12:55 AM
What are you playing?
(07-01-2014 12:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 05:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Not with my laptop.
It plays some games great, but it can't play things like bf4.

Not to mention anything you want to do on a desktop just about doubles the price of a laptop, but with the only advantage being mobility (seriously, getting the performance of a $1K desktop would cost you upwards of $2K). You lose the ability to easily upgrade or replace parts that break. Also any PC game worth playing is worth playing with a mouse and not a touch pad, so you'll have to sit it down someplace you can use a mouse; and so might as well just have a desktop.

Holy crap! Y'all are spoiled!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
07-01-2014, 12:57 AM
I just finished the main campaign of Borderlands 2 as Gaige, and Hughsie as Zero. We started on the Captain Scarlett DLC tonight as well. In my spare time, I managed to complete absolutely everyone on the main campaign and all DLC's as Maya on Normal. I've halfway completed True Vault Hunter with her. I've also leveled up Krieg to 30, simply because I'd like to use him more for online play, and to see if I even like him much.

Also in my spare time, I've swung back to the first Borderlands, and I've realized how atrocious it is compared to the second, but also how much I love it. However, I only think I enjoy it because of the nostalgia is gives. When people ask me which game to play first, I always tell them Borderlands 2. It hits the ground running and doesn't stop. With the first, you need patience- lots of it. The first lacks several elements that made the second wonderful.

Enough ranting. After I'm burned out on Borderlands, I have Skyrim Legendary, four Dishonored DLC's and the Left 4 Dead's to wipe out.

Sooner or later, I will run out of things to do.
07-01-2014, 03:12 AM
(07-01-2014 12:55 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 12:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Not to mention anything you want to do on a desktop just about doubles the price of a laptop, but with the only advantage being mobility (seriously, getting the performance of a $1K desktop would cost you upwards of $2K). You lose the ability to easily upgrade or replace parts that break. Also any PC game worth playing is worth playing with a mouse and not a touch pad, so you'll have to sit it down someplace you can use a mouse; and so might as well just have a desktop.

Holy crap! Y'all are spoiled!

Lol. EK's right though.
My current laptop will play games using the Clausewitz 2.5 Engine so I'm happy.
Everything else I wanna play, ie: BF4, is on both PC and console, so I might as well go for console as it has the best combination of affordability and mobility.

Plus, I like console gaming. I think FPS's are better on consoles and it's just nice to sit back on your couch in the living room with a bottle of mountain dew (vanilla coke) and a bag of your favorite crisps relaxed as hell playing video games.
If I'm at my PC I'm hunched forward in my computer chair (which is actually a deck chair right now..). It's not as relaxed.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
07-01-2014, 04:04 AM
(07-01-2014 12:57 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I just finished the main campaign of Borderlands 2 as Gaige, and Hughsie as Zero. We started on the Captain Scarlett DLC tonight as well. In my spare time, I managed to complete absolutely everyone on the main campaign and all DLC's as Maya on Normal. I've halfway completed True Vault Hunter with her. I've also leveled up Krieg to 30, simply because I'd like to use him more for online play, and to see if I even like him much.

Also in my spare time, I've swung back to the first Borderlands, and I've realized how atrocious it is compared to the second, but also how much I love it. However, I only think I enjoy it because of the nostalgia is gives. When people ask me which game to play first, I always tell them Borderlands 2. It hits the ground running and doesn't stop. With the first, you need patience- lots of it. The first lacks several elements that made the second wonderful.

Enough ranting. After I'm burned out on Borderlands, I have Skyrim Legendary, four Dishonored DLC's and the Left 4 Dead's to wipe out.

I got bored with both, because the farther you get into them the more they break. Both are fun early on, but in both once you get to the 'end-game' and you're doing thousands of damage and yet feel even more emasculated than when you started because every fucking enemy is a massive bullet sponge? They both stopped being fun when everything takes an entire magazine's worth of head-shots to kill...

(07-01-2014 03:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 12:55 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Holy crap! Y'all are spoiled!

Lol. EK's right though.
Everything else I wanna play, ie: BF4, is on both PC and console, so I might as well go for console as it has the best combination of affordability and mobility.

Plus, I like console gaming. I think FPS's are better on consoles and it's just nice to sit back on your couch in the living room with a bottle of mountain dew (vanilla coke) and a bag of your favorite crisps relaxed as hell playing video games.
If I'm at my PC I'm hunched forward in my computer chair (which is actually a deck chair right now..). It's not as relaxed.

I can't play first person on consoles anymore, and once you play an Elder Scrolls or Fallout on PC? Yeah, I love Bethesda, but I prefer my RPG experiences tweaked to my specifications. The complete lack of mods on the console (for obvious reasons) makes the platform a no-go for my favorite game franchises.

I could potentially see playing a first person game that didn't require precise aim on a console, such as a all stealth pacifist run in Deus Ex or Dishonored; but actually having to shoot anything? I have a 360 controller that I use for Assassin's Creed, Castle Crashers, and when I drive around in Saint's Row; but I put the controller down as soon as I have to shoot anything. I learned WASD controls playing Unreal Tournament and Half-Life Deathmatch, there simply is no going back after that.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-01-2014, 04:30 AM
(06-01-2014 04:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 05:43 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't know how you people enjoy playing Skyrim. Only time I ever enjoyed it was when somebody was watching me play, allowing me to actually do fun things, a la just mess around which is quite boring if it's just me there. I'd rate the game as over-hyped and generally 'meh' personally.

It's a role-playing game, if you can't get yourself into that kind of headspace, you're going to get much less out of the experience.

My last Skyrim character was a female Nord hunter (Light Armor, Sneak, One-Handed, Archery), and I spent far more time traipsing across the tundra hunting Caribou and (eventually) Mammoths and Dragons than I did pursuing the main quest. I got far enough in to get access to Thu'um and then wen't off on my own. I was an explorer, a stalker, a bounty hunter, and a monster slayer; and I was having so much fun doing that I forgot all about being the 'destined savior'. Tongue

I will never understand how people can play like that. Maybe it's just my perpetual boredom and near total lack of imagination and creativity, but I just can't understand how people can get into that kind of frame of mind.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-01-2014, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 09:27 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-01-2014 04:30 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 04:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  It's a role-playing game, if you can't get yourself into that kind of headspace, you're going to get much less out of the experience.

My last Skyrim character was a female Nord hunter (Light Armor, Sneak, One-Handed, Archery), and I spent far more time traipsing across the tundra hunting Caribou and (eventually) Mammoths and Dragons than I did pursuing the main quest. I got far enough in to get access to Thu'um and then wen't off on my own. I was an explorer, a stalker, a bounty hunter, and a monster slayer; and I was having so much fun doing that I forgot all about being the 'destined savior'. Tongue

I will never understand how people can play like that. Maybe it's just my perpetual boredom and near total lack of imagination and creativity, but I just can't understand how people can get into that kind of frame of mind.

Three words my friend; Dungeons and Dragons.

It's getting different things out of it. Some people just like to finish things, and get fulfillment from going through a checklists of 'to-do's'. Other people enjoy getting into a role and buying into the immersion and use it for fantasy fulfillment. Some people just enjoy the ride, and will only play through the main story for the initial experience. To each his own, you're certainly not wrong for enjoying the game your way; it's just not how and why I get enjoyment out of it.

07-01-2014, 09:38 AM
(07-01-2014 09:24 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 04:30 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I will never understand how people can play like that. Maybe it's just my perpetual boredom and near total lack of imagination and creativity, but I just can't understand how people can get into that kind of frame of mind.

To each his own, you're certainly not wrong for enjoying the game your way; it's just not how and why I get enjoyment out of it.

That might be valid if I actually enjoyed it, but I don't. I play games as a necessary distraction, not necessarily enjoyment.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
07-01-2014, 02:15 PM
(07-01-2014 09:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 09:24 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  To each his own, you're certainly not wrong for enjoying the game your way; it's just not how and why I get enjoyment out of it.

That might be valid if I actually enjoyed it, but I don't. I play games as a necessary distraction, not necessarily enjoyment.

Now you sound like a zoo panda that doesn't want to fuck to save it's own species... Dodgy

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-01-2014, 02:37 PM
(07-01-2014 04:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 12:57 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I just finished the main campaign of Borderlands 2 as Gaige, and Hughsie as Zero. We started on the Captain Scarlett DLC tonight as well. In my spare time, I managed to complete absolutely everyone on the main campaign and all DLC's as Maya on Normal. I've halfway completed True Vault Hunter with her. I've also leveled up Krieg to 30, simply because I'd like to use him more for online play, and to see if I even like him much.

I got bored with both, because the farther you get into them the more they break. Both are fun early on, but in both once you get to the 'end-game' and you're doing thousands of damage and yet feel even more emasculated than when you started because every fucking enemy is a massive bullet sponge? They both stopped being fun when everything takes an entire magazine's worth of head-shots to kill...

(07-01-2014 03:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Lol. EK's right though.

I can't play first person on consoles anymore, and once you play an Elder Scrolls or Fallout on PC? Yeah, I love Bethesda, but I prefer my RPG experiences tweaked to my specifications. The complete lack of mods on the console (for obvious reasons) makes the platform a no-go for my favorite game franchises.

I could potentially see playing a first person game that didn't require precise aim on a console, such as a all stealth pacifist run in Deus Ex or Dishonored; but actually having to shoot anything? I have a 360 controller that I use for Assassin's Creed, Castle Crashers, and when I drive around in Saint's Row; but I put the controller down as soon as I have to shoot anything. I learned WASD controls playing Unreal Tournament and Half-Life Deathmatch, there simply is no going back after that.

Certain games I'd always get for PC. RTS's for example, and games that I know are gonna be modded ie: Skyrim I'd potentially get Fallout for console, but just because I've never modded that game on PC.

Also this thing about precise aiming is such bullshit. I can (or could back in the day) shoot the wings of a fly in mid flight with an xbox controller on any game.
Plus, everyone's on a level playing field, everyone's using a controller. It's not like you're up against mice and keyboards.

[Image: oscar.png]