What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 07:48 AM
RE: What are you playing?
So I picked up The Last Of Us yesterday. Pretty cool game. Anyway, I noticed some technical issues with the game that I was experiencing on Watch Dogs. When I look away from one of the characters that are talking, the dialogue audio diminishes quite drastically. In fact it cuts all together in some cases. The subtitles help keep me in the loop. Come to think of it, this issue is also in Tomb Raider.

All these games are compatible with Dolby Digital surround sound. Now I don't have my PS3 hooked up to a surround home theatre system. I've been contemplating getting myself those 7.1 surround sound wireless PlayStation head phones. Will the problem go away? Is it because my audio is only two channels and when my characters face different directions they engage a different audio channel?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 03:49 PM
So Destiny is awesome.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-09-2014, 06:53 PM
So... Destiny is better than Halo (which I would give 6.5/10). It hasn't held my interest for more than a couple hours though, and I keep finding myself playing other things, going "oh wait, I have Destiny.."

So far its heading for a 7/10, but I'm not far into it. Somehow its gameplay mechanics and enemies feel... Unimpressive? Kind of floaty and like something you're watching rather than actually doing. The story and settings are extremely promising though.

I couldn't even be bothered to finish the last couple Halo releases, so Bungie obviously doesn't quite tickle my fancy, but I am extremely happy they've finally moved away from Halo.
11-09-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm one trophy away from wrapping up platinum on Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare on the PS3, while slogging through my second playthrough of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale on the Vita.

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
13-09-2014, 02:31 AM
(10-09-2014 03:49 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So Destiny is awesome.

(10-09-2014 06:53 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  So... Destiny is better than Halo (which I would give 6.5/10). It hasn't held my interest for more than a couple hours though, and I keep finding myself playing other things, going "oh wait, I have Destiny.."

So far its heading for a 7/10, but I'm not far into it. Somehow its gameplay mechanics and enemies feel... Unimpressive? Kind of floaty and like something you're watching rather than actually doing. The story and settings are extremely promising though.

I couldn't even be bothered to finish the last couple Halo releases, so Bungie obviously doesn't quite tickle my fancy, but I am extremely happy they've finally moved away from Halo.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles...iny-Review

Destiny is a very pretty game, there's no disputing that. From its lighting, to use of color, to animation, no expense (and what a vast expense!) has been spared in making this look as polished and glossy as possible. The problem is that, as gorgeous as its looks on the surface, the lack of appreciable artistry behind it all renders the graphical effort moot. Environments are huge and colorful, but also quite sterile and full of vast tracts of nothing. Despite having four alien forces and a number of distinct planets, the visual style is so derivative and bland that it struggles to evoke any emotion from me whatsoever. The aesthetics smack of shallow Hollywood sci-fi fluff, all shiny and expensive, but way too clean, way too factory-standard, and entirely lacking in imagination.

That last point is the real downfall of an otherwise solidly put together game - Destiny is overwhelmingly unimaginative. The fact that enemies are called things like Fallen or Cabal is simply an easy indicator of a problem that permeates the entire experience, a problem of having all this money pumped into visuals, marketing, and the ever-desirable sense of "scale," but very little in the way of heart and soul.

Gameplay is a cocktail of ideas taken from other titles that specialized to create superior experiences. Borderlands is much better at providing loot and a sense of character progression, Halo is better at providing a sci-fi shooter adventure, and there are plenty of MMOs that do the "shared world" thing with more gusto. Destiny exists in the shadow of multiple games, taking a little from each, and doing nothing truly remarkable with any of it. It's a prime example of how the nebulous concept of "content" can be used to puff up a game without adding anything to it. There's a ton of "stuff" in Destiny. You'll never want for things to do ... but it's terrible at providing motivation to do any of it.

Propped up by a very strong multiplayer mode, and with some co-op challenges that can be quite fun, Destiny did do enough to keep me playing until I beat the story and leveled up, but beyond that, the thought of the lengthy, grinding post-game stuff makes me feel more exhausted than excited. At the very least, the online component has been holding up impressively despite the huge amounts of people playing it, and with so many folks believing the hype and chomping at the bit to play, I guess it doesn't matter how bland the game may be - we're all sucking it down regardless.

Bottom Line: With its banal universe and flavorless style, Destiny is packed with content, but just ... well ... content. There's a great PvP mode, and the leveling system can be rewarding, but nonetheless this is a pretty, rock-solid, ultimately pedestrian product.

Recommendation: If you want a stable and populated FPS MMO, this will do the job with minimal fuss. For all my complaints, I did waste a lot of time with it, and will likely continue to do so, so it's indeed doing something to hook folks. I wouldn't buy into the hysterical hype though.

3/5 Stars

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-09-2014, 11:39 AM
(13-09-2014 02:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 03:49 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So Destiny is awesome.

(10-09-2014 06:53 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  So... Destiny is better than Halo (which I would give 6.5/10). It hasn't held my interest for more than a couple hours though, and I keep finding myself playing other things, going "oh wait, I have Destiny.."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles...iny-Review

Destiny is a very pretty game, there's no disputing that. From its lighting, to use of color, to animation, no expense (and what a vast expense!) has been spared in making this look as polished and glossy as possible. The problem is that, as gorgeous as its looks on the surface, the lack of appreciable artistry behind it all renders the graphical effort moot. Environments are huge and colorful, but also quite sterile and full of vast tracts of nothing. Despite having four alien forces and a number of distinct planets, the visual style is so derivative and bland that it struggles to evoke any emotion from me whatsoever. The aesthetics smack of shallow Hollywood sci-fi fluff, all shiny and expensive, but way too clean, way too factory-standard, and entirely lacking in imagination.

That last point is the real downfall of an otherwise solidly put together game - Destiny is overwhelmingly unimaginative. The fact that enemies are called things like Fallen or Cabal is simply an easy indicator of a problem that permeates the entire experience, a problem of having all this money pumped into visuals, marketing, and the ever-desirable sense of "scale," but very little in the way of heart and soul.

Gameplay is a cocktail of ideas taken from other titles that specialized to create superior experiences. Borderlands is much better at providing loot and a sense of character progression, Halo is better at providing a sci-fi shooter adventure, and there are plenty of MMOs that do the "shared world" thing with more gusto. Destiny exists in the shadow of multiple games, taking a little from each, and doing nothing truly remarkable with any of it. It's a prime example of how the nebulous concept of "content" can be used to puff up a game without adding anything to it. There's a ton of "stuff" in Destiny. You'll never want for things to do ... but it's terrible at providing motivation to do any of it.

Propped up by a very strong multiplayer mode, and with some co-op challenges that can be quite fun, Destiny did do enough to keep me playing until I beat the story and leveled up, but beyond that, the thought of the lengthy, grinding post-game stuff makes me feel more exhausted than excited. At the very least, the online component has been holding up impressively despite the huge amounts of people playing it, and with so many folks believing the hype and chomping at the bit to play, I guess it doesn't matter how bland the game may be - we're all sucking it down regardless.

Bottom Line: With its banal universe and flavorless style, Destiny is packed with content, but just ... well ... content. There's a great PvP mode, and the leveling system can be rewarding, but nonetheless this is a pretty, rock-solid, ultimately pedestrian product.

Recommendation: If you want a stable and populated FPS MMO, this will do the job with minimal fuss. For all my complaints, I did waste a lot of time with it, and will likely continue to do so, so it's indeed doing something to hook folks. I wouldn't buy into the hysterical hype though.

3/5 Stars

That and when the beta was out it kept crashing on me.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
13-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Testing out emulators on the wii. Man is this great Big Grin
16-09-2014, 07:25 PM
So playing as Brandenburg wanting to form Prussia and eventually Germany.
I managed to become the Holy Roman Emperor and get a couple electors as my vassals (so they'll always vote for me) but I'm caught in a power struggle between myself and Austria but at the same time me and Austria are allies and combined are in a power struggle against our neighbors. So it's a fine line between getting the upper hand on Austria so I can further my position and solidify my sphere of influence over smaller HRE states while keeping Austria weak and keeping Austria on my good side but strong enough that combined we can fend off the dirty Scandinavians, Russians and French if needed. That's Scandinavians, Russians and French combined by the way. Yea, I might have pissed off a few people along the road. Neighboring countries tend to get a little twitchy when you, through military action, go from a three province minor state to a world super power in 100 short years. Countries hating on Germany because it expands a little, what else is new?

[Image: oscar.png]
16-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Fucking amazing, another stellar series from Telltale Games.

[Image: the_wolf_among_us_by_griddark-d6lca5u.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 edition. At work, overnight shift with nothing eventful going on requiring my attention, nothing to do but remain on standby and fiddle with the phone.

'Murican Canadian