What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 01:50 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: What are you playing?
(27-11-2014 05:44 PM)calmblueocean Wrote:  I've been neglecting Dwarf Fortress, which is another game I tend to get sucked into for days on end, and I've also been playing Final Fantasy III/VI on ZSNES (and wondering if I could get my hands on the physical tape as I still have a working SNES).

Uh, tape?

[Image: final_fantasy_iii_cart_ntsc_1.jpg]

eBay? It's also on Amazon for 40~60 dollars.

Failing that, they re-released and ported the game to the PSOne (also released on the PS Network under the 'Classics' label), the Game Boy Advance, and both the Android and iOS platforms.

But the mobile versions look like ass.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 01:50 AM
Napoleon Total War.

... Disappointed.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-12-2014, 06:20 AM
(01-12-2014 01:50 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Napoleon Total War.

... Disappointed.

Empire is certainly better.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-12-2014, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 07:06 AM by Free Thought.)
(01-12-2014 06:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 01:50 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Napoleon Total War.

... Disappointed.

Empire is certainly better.

Agreed.

From my admittedly limited time with Napoleon, Empire is certainly better in almost every way; hell it runs better on the same settings.

My biggest gripe about Empire though is that it does get rather stale eventually; especially since that despite their little stat eccentricities in units, most European powers play identically in my experience (from Great Britain to Prussia to the United Provinces I've never really had to change tactics) and the Indian powers eventually take the shape of European nations anyway... I don't even know what early Russia is trying to be...

Anyway; I was hoping to get out of the general monotony with Napoleon, but alas it's just overall worse from the little I've played. I do like the idea of using different towns to produce different buildings which actually effected the game, outside of happiness and tax, but it seems... a little clunky somehow. As if it's more inconvenient than it has to be. I also like the ability basically transmute buildings into their equivalents on other trees; that is a feature sorely lacking in Empire.

As I've also been playing a lot of Empire as well; may as well talk on that again too.

My recent UP playthrough as an empire based entirely on trade and defensive posture has been quite fulfilling; of the about 6 major powers (myself included) left, I'm allied to 4 and have such ludicrous trade income that I can easily fund enough armies and naval power to take the world in about 6 turns (allowing for my traditional siege tactics). The one time I broke my defensive posturing was the fourth (and final) time the Marathas declared war on me. It's remarkable how quickly the greatest nation on earth at the time fell to the puny Provinces; speaks a great deal about just how much near-total trade monopoly can get you.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-12-2014, 04:13 PM
You need to play EU4. I feel like EU4 would definitely be your sort of game.

01-12-2014, 04:18 PM
(01-12-2014 04:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You need to play EU4. I feel like EU4 would definitely be your sort of game.

Given that everything I've seen thus-far of it is a big-ass map, not so sure on that, Muffs.

01-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Yea it's got a bit of learning curve and it certainly helps if your computer has something better than Intel HD Graphics but it's not as daunting as you might think. You should pirate that shit and give it a go. Ya never know till ya try...

01-12-2014, 04:27 PM
(01-12-2014 04:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea it's got a bit of learning curve and it certainly helps if your computer has something better than Intel HD Graphics but it's not as daunting as you might think. You should pirate that shit and give it a go. Ya never know till ya try...

I don't think it's daunting, from what I've seen, it just doesn't look like it would strike my fancy.

The reason why I prefer Total War over, say Civ, and it looks like the same rule would apply to EU, is that I'm pretty much in the game for the battles. All I have seen from EU is a big-ass map and nothing else. Occasionally the map might have models on it which probably are animated to simulate things, but still.

01-12-2014, 05:16 PM
(01-12-2014 04:27 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 04:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea it's got a bit of learning curve and it certainly helps if your computer has something better than Intel HD Graphics but it's not as daunting as you might think. You should pirate that shit and give it a go. Ya never know till ya try...

I don't think it's daunting, from what I've seen, it just doesn't look like it would strike my fancy.

The reason why I prefer Total War over, say Civ, and it looks like the same rule would apply to EU, is that I'm pretty much in the game for the battles. All I have seen from EU is a big-ass map and nothing else. Occasionally the map might have models on it which probably are animated to simulate things, but still.

Nevermind than, no there's no battle system like in TW. Though that would be fucking awesome! The day EU4 has some sort of TW cross over is the day where I literally die from over stimulation of excitement.

03-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Hey gamers, could I please have your attention for a minute? Thank you. It's about Star Trek Online and some new ideas I have...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid695185

Please, if anyone has any ideas/informations, that would be great.

Thank you.

P.S.

Didn't we have a STO thread somewhere? I tried to find it, but failed miserably...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson