What are you really? (What or Who is God?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2012, 02:06 PM
What are you really? (What or Who is God?)
When people ask me what I am religiously, I always first ask them to define God. But definitions are different from religion to religion or even person to person.

If a God (or Goddess) is all all-knowing, all powerful deity and the creator of everything then I am an atheist.

If a God (or Goddess) is just a creator of our universe, that is not all knowing and all powerful I would say I a doubtful agnostic or atheist agnostic.

If Gods (or Goddesses) are simply beings that are much more powerful than we are, sufficiently more advanced than us humans I would say I am a hopeful agnostic or perhaps a 'pagan agnostic'.

What I am to you is completely dependent on a simple, agreed upon definition.

Of course there are combinations that I have left out, because I have not come across anyone who believes in a supernatural being that for example is all powerful but doesn't know everything.

If I am wrong, and there is an all knowing, all powerful God then free-will is an illusion, which means God made me a non-believer so he/she/it can't be upset with me, only his/her/its self. If God is angry at me for it then I judge it evil (which again I was fated to do) and wouldn't want to worship it anyway.

Whats your 2 cents?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
RE: What are you really? (What or Who is God?)
I am curious as to why you are defining yourself by other people's criteria?

What do you call yourself when you ask yourself that same question?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Carbon, silly. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 03:08 PM
I am just a guy (a human being) making some homemade pizzas on a friday night. Nothing really more complicated than that.
I am the slightly changed biological offspring of my parents just as they were the slightly changed biological offspring of their parents.
I have a limited self awareness and a limited awareness of my environment.
I am unaware of any evidence for the existence of any gods in the universe.
I am also unaware of unicorns, quadracorns, leprechauns, fairies, dragons in my garage and trolls under bridges.
It's my sincere belief that I do in fact make choices. (not always good ones, but they are mine)
I am part of a much larger society that uses science to make advancements that benefit the society I live in.

So, I'll stop there - That's what I am

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
07-09-2012, 03:59 PM
(07-09-2012 02:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I am curious as to why you are defining yourself by other people's criteria?

That seems like a silly thing to ask to me. The only way to explain myself, and be understood, is to explain myself using words, symbols, body language, etc that the people I am communicating with will understand. I am not changing who I am depending on what other people believe, I am only changing the way I explain myself depending on other peoples perceptions.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
(07-09-2012 03:59 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 02:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I am curious as to why you are defining yourself by other people's criteria?

That seems like a silly thing to ask to me. The only way to explain myself, and be understood, is to explain myself using words, symbols, body language, etc that the people I am communicating with will understand. I am not changing who I am depending on what other people believe, I am only changing the way I explain myself depending on other peoples perceptions.

To go along with the theme as proposed above with respect to self description:

I am an evolved self-motivated omnivore that seeks to maximize pleasure while minimizing pain. This includes evading being eaten by other self-motivated beings. I possess the cognitive ability of self-awareness. I remember past pains and pleasures and I can imagine future pleasure and pain even though I have yet experienced them. I am aware that my existence is finite and uncertain from witnessing this event with other similar type beings.

Everything else is just circumstantial details.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
07-09-2012, 04:17 PM
(07-09-2012 03:59 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  

Of course, and if you were to ignore other people's perceptions for a moment... what would you call yourself?

07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
(07-09-2012 04:17 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 03:59 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  That seems like a silly thing to ask to me. The only way to explain myself, and be understood, is to explain myself using words, symbols, body language, etc that the people I am communicating with will understand. I am not changing who I am depending on what other people believe, I am only changing the way I explain myself depending on other peoples perceptions.

Of course, and if you were to ignore other people's perceptions for a moment... what would you call yourself?

Due to cultural relativism I would say I am an Atheist. If I had grown up 2500 years ago in the British Isles, for example I would probably define my belief as a Agnostic Pagan.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
08-09-2012, 03:29 AM
I greatly dislike labels. If someone asks me about it, I'd rather elaborate, instead of just calling myself X.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-09-2012, 06:54 AM
(07-09-2012 02:06 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  When people ask me what I am religiously, I always first ask them to define God. But definitions are different from religion to religion or even person to person.

are you wanting a straight answer?

"GOD" is mother nature itself (existence itself: all mass, all energy, all time)

IN science the BB folk combine (guestimate), all of the mass, energy and go backwards, in the 'time' with virial theorem, for the whole created idea of a big bang from a 'singularity' point.

Welll that is what many do with 'the gods'. They start storiy telling with "once upon a time' or "in the beginning'

BUT the FACT is, YOU and I are alive between both points in time (beginning/ending), right here in the garden (nature), living, breathing, eating, and snoring, right here within the BODY OF GOD (nature itself)

in the fun sense, the he is a she (god being, mother nature itself)

the idiots have created an idea that a 'god' is a separate entity from all that we experience to exist. Basically, manmade da gods, while mother is our everything.

YOU and I are like a splash within the ocean of existence, with the ability to make waves, by choice.

that's it!

what makes us so cool, is we can 'create' something, and it live, beyond our conscious awareness. For example: before you go to sleep tonight, turn on the TV.
[+] 1 user Likes Bishadi's post