What are you thoughts on philosopher Alan Watts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 05:46 PM by TheLogicalAthiest.)
What are you thoughts on philosopher Alan Watts?
I think Alan Watts has some good philosophical ideas, but other ideas sound like bullshit to me. What are you thoughts?

I mean I like some of his idea, but others are hard to accept when you are sceptical, so it then makes it hard to value his points when its mixed with not so true sounding things if you know what I mean? Some things just sound wishful thinking and things to stroke the ego, much like they way religious thinking is so I find it hard to accept.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 05:45 PM
RE: What are you thoughts on philosopher Alan Watts?
He was one of the first influences on me to aid in becoming agno-atheist. I listened to some podcast I had from years ago the other day and some stuff sounded out to lunch now.

I think he is very charismatic with ideas that were life changing in his day to the western world.
11-12-2013, 05:50 PM
(11-12-2013 05:45 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  He was one of the first influences on me to aid in becoming agno-atheist. I listened to some podcast I had from years ago the other day and some stuff sounded out to lunch now.

I think he is very charismatic with ideas that were life changing in his day to the western world.

Do you think his ideas are near true though? I mean I believe there is no point believing in things that aren't the truth. I understand philosophy is difficult as nobody really knows the nature of the universe and the meaning of life. I think he has some good points on how to live life, but im not sure about his views on the universe.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
11-12-2013, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 06:01 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
i've read and listened to most of his stuff. I'm a big fan. He's the first person who really made me realize that we are the universe looking at and exploring itself.

Below my name is the end of my favorite Alan Watts quote:
"You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here."

I also enjoyed listening to his recordings about drugs.

Of course, just because he was charismatic and insightful, doesn't mean he's always right. I just really enjoyed his philosophy on the oneness of the universe, and the illusion of personality as a separate entity.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I heard of him, haven't gotten around listening to him though. Some of the comments I hear liken him to Joseph Campbell, now he can even make religion inspiring. Thats tough. His take is that all religions are mythologies that deal with the response to the human condition, have to kill to live, suffering, the types of death symbolic death and physical death, adulthood and finding your own path in life. He's a bit esoteric at times though, I suppose a lot of philosophers are.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
11-12-2013, 06:37 PM
I enjoy some of the philosophy, other bits I disagree with. The thing about philosophy and ideas is that you don't necessarily have to agree with all of them or like all of them. I love reading and listening to philosophy and lectures on it. I think his thoughts on getting a job are good, there was a video on it some time ago made into a "motivational video" regarding pursuing what you enjoy and becoming good at it rather than just following the money. I've found it to work for me (in my case at least) but it wasn't because of Alan Watts, but I still enjoy the lecture.

Some philosophers like to say fancy words, others like to inspire, others like to humble, others enjoy life lessons... no one who does lectures or philosophical writing really does the same thing or holds the same exact ideas. All the more reason it's fun to read up on it.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.