What are your holiday fears?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Question What are your holiday fears?
What are your biggest fears about the holidays? What do you dread? What are your biggest challenges as an atheist over the holidays and how do you deal with them?

My holiday fears are receiving religious gifts and receiving gifts that I don't want or have no interest in. It's not so much pretending to like the gift that bums me out as much as the disappointment that the giver didn't know me well enough to understand what I would like. It makes me feel like the person didn't really make an effort to think about me and what I would've wanted. I would be extremely disappointed and if I got a religious gift because my family is very aware that I'm an atheist. I've made it very public. If I received a religious gift, I would feel like it was given to me thoughtlessly or out of defiance. What would you do if you receives a religious gift?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 04:44 AM
RE: What are your holiday fears?
Holiday sweets. Why's everyone wanna give me diabetes for my Christmas present?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
30-11-2014, 05:01 AM
I used to start dreading the onset of Christmas at the end of January. I spent three Christmases in a row, just her, me and my husband who would hide away in the kitchen doing the cooking. It actually got to the stage where I was deliberately trying to get infected with seasonal flu so I had a real excuse for not going. Ironically the mother-in-law gave me flu which meant I had to spend the week after Christmas in bed.

Luckily my brother-in-law's wife has had a child so she is spending Christmas with him this year even though we're moving back to the same city as her. I reckon this means that I will be off the hook for many years to come, especially if they have more children.

For me Christmas was just social obligation that can't be fulfilled unless you all happen to live nearby. My parents live on the other side of the country to my mother-in-law. I would much prefer to spend Christmas with friends but they are all obligated to spend it with family as well.
30-11-2014, 05:29 AM
I'm afraid Santa will leave me a lump of coal in my shoe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-11-2014, 05:57 AM
The only things I fear about Giftmas are the ritualistic family get-togethers and giving and receiving gifts.

I have a long-standing rule of gifts to be given to me: just give me some money, that way I can ensure I can get something I want and the given can, by extension, give me what I want. That way, there's no awkwardness if the gifts aren't... appreciated... I've spent most of my life lying and I still can't manage to fake sincerity convincingly.
I would rather like to follow this in my giving of gifts, but I feel obligated to get something other than money and I don't know my family well enough to know if what I plan to get them is adequate.

I fear family get togethers simply because it is not an environment I can thrive in; it's typically noisy and full of people who tend to annoy me in an environment where I'm not typically allowed to speak my mind and correct the frequent errors spewing from people's faces. Not to mention that for whatever reason, I was usually put in charge of my younger cousins whom I was far older and with which I did not feel as though I fit in (there were typical noisy, hair-brained kids and I was... me...). And let's not even begin the touching. Always with the prolonged touching! Why do people at those things always insist on touching me?! Urgh!

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) those sorts of gatherings are rare now. the extended family is drifting rapidly apart, so I've no need to worry about it...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-11-2014, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2014 07:33 AM by Mathilda.)
Me, my parents and my brother collectively decided to stop buying each other presents. We each independently came to the conclusion that none of us wanted the hassle of buying them or receiving them and we all continue to be very happy not to do so. Any suggestion of this truce being broken is met by horror. In fact the only spanner in the works is my husband who wants to give and receive presents. I've explicitly told everyone else that they should not buy him any presents if they receive them from him. It alleviates the horror of getting roped into the whole present business again.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
30-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Tempted to move this to the First World Problems thread.

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
30-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Fears? I love xmas. I guess my only fear might be not having enough time to get done, everything I want to do for everyone.

I like to be to myself much of the time. Xmas is a time I like to be with others and give them time to see what I enjoy in life. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Getting run over by a car in the mall parking lot, shoppers be crazy!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-11-2014, 07:57 AM
My only holiday fear is having to need to go to any brick-amd-mortar store to get anything between now and January and have to deal with the parking and the people and the christmas muzak and...
[Image: e3de6d01672c80eb911687827a3fd98a9aa08387...3e29e0.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post