What are your holiday fears?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 01:32 PM
RE: What are your holiday fears?
(30-11-2014 10:39 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I look forward to "Winter Break" as my husband is a high school teacher and we take the time to do things together. He finally gets to rest and relax for a couple of weeks. Teaching is so stressful in the US.

He's very hard to buy presents for though. I'm thinking of getting him a stick of gum! Last year I got him some expensive Ecco shoes and he was like...meh! Geeze, stick of gum it is then.

And lottery tickets. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 01:34 PM
(30-11-2014 12:31 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 09:17 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  A Christmas without power would be great. One of my favourite things has always been a power outage during winter. I don't know about anywhere else but in Newfoundland when I was a kid a power outage was simply a reason for everyone to get together and party. I'm not sure if it's like it these days though. Last year there were power outages in the provence and all I heard was whining and crying.
But I come from a pretty small town. Perhaps you're a city slicker? If so I suppose a power outage would suck.

I'm not a city slicker, but a Christmas in Norway is more boring than you can imagine, atleast for my family. That means no jokes around the TV, no food, no christmas specials, and no way for me or others to try out new presents. It almost happened last year.
All you need is a wood stove a few cases of beer and a snowmobile. Or at least that's all I need.
Find all posts by this user
30-11-2014, 01:38 PM
(30-11-2014 10:39 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I look forward to "Winter Break" as my husband is a high school teacher and we take the time to do things together. He finally gets to rest and relax for a couple of weeks. Teaching is so stressful in the US.

He's very hard to buy presents for though. I'm thinking of getting him a stick of gum! Last year I got him some expensive Ecco shoes and he was like...meh! Geeze, stick of gum it is then.

My husband and I solved that issue a few years ago and it works fine.

Example, this year - he just bought a bass guitar, amp, and other accessories for himself. I attended a couple concerts solo, bought some T-shirts and enjoyed myself tremendously. I looked at him and said - well, looks like we each bought ourselves Christmas this year.

If I get him anything it will be a gift card for the guitar store. If he gets me anything - I will faint. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
30-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Santa. It's always Santa.

[Image: santa-1.jpg]

#sigh
30-11-2014, 02:45 PM
(30-11-2014 08:54 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 08:46 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  ... as I shop for cottage cheese or socks.

I missed the 'or' when I first read that and couldn't image why anybody would want "cottage cheese socks".

Quote:My zero-personality sister in law used to paste "Jesus is the reason for the season" stickers all over the gifts. I found life was infinitely better without her or her stickers. Problem solved.

[Image: reason_for_the_season_tshirt-rfa58163109...gy_324.jpg]

Now I know what to ask for for Christmas. Tongue

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
30-11-2014, 02:52 PM
That they'll come around again next year.
30-11-2014, 03:56 PM
I guess I fear not being able to get my parents something nice for Christmas. Sure, gifts aren't everything but they helped me a lot with moving on my own (gas money, giving me food, giving me kitchen stuff, ext.) that I'd like to give them something. Don't know if I'd have that much extra to get them something or what I'd get them. I guess if anything else, I'll make them fudge....they love fudge.

[Image: notagain.gif]
30-11-2014, 04:25 PM
I do not like the expectations of the holiday, specifically the gift giving. I see my family several time a month. We really do not need an excuse to get together and I enjoy their company. It is all the other stuff I do not like. I get very stressed from about today thru the 26th.
30-11-2014, 08:14 PM
(30-11-2014 04:24 AM)Atheist_Artist Wrote:  What are your biggest fears about the holidays? What do you dread? What are your biggest challenges as an atheist over the holidays and how do you deal with them?

It's the 50th anniversary of "Rudolf" and I'm compelled to watch it. My fear is it won't live up to my childhood memory. My challenge is to how to get my kids to watch with me without calling me lame.

I love this time of year, btw. From mid October until New Year's is the best in my mind.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
30-11-2014, 08:34 PM
(30-11-2014 06:10 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Me, my parents and my brother collectively decided to stop buying each other presents. We each independently came to the conclusion that none of us wanted the hassle of buying them or receiving them and we all continue to be very happy not to do so. Any suggestion of this truce being broken is met by horror. In fact the only spanner in the works is my husband who wants to give and receive presents. I've explicitly told everyone else that they should not buy him any presents if they receive them from him. It alleviates the horror of getting roped into the whole present business again.

We ran into the same problem, gift giving between us siblings devolved into a secret santa game with spending caps and stupid "as seen on TV" themes. Finally, someone suggested that we all decide on what would be an acceptable spending limit for each other, and we just pool all of that money together and give it to a charity.

Nobody has to fret about what stupid shit to buy each other, and everyone feels good about being able to help someone else who is less fortunate have a better christmas. Winner winner, christmas dinner! Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post