What are your holiday fears?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 08:48 PM
RE: What are your holiday fears?
My #1 fear is of running out of time to do all the cooking and baking that I want to do for Yule. (I throw a party for friends and co-workers every year on or around the Solstice, and mass quantities of noms are involved.)

My #2 fear is that while I'm trying to get things in order for the holidays, I'll get distracted by an urge to renovate something to make the house a little bit prettier. This is a very reasonable fear. Back in the '90s, IIRC I once installed a new kitchen counter on Christmas Eve. Last year, 3 days before the Yule party, a friend and I were scrambling to finish plastering and painting My dining room so that we could re-install a light fixture on a recently upgraded circuit. Someone should just hide My toolbox in mid-November and not give it back until January.

We're currently doing drywall and wainscot work in the entrance hallway, BTW. Some things never change. Weeping
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2014 10:41 PM by Full Circle.)
(30-11-2014 08:48 PM)Astreja Wrote:  My #1 fear is of running out of time to do all the cooking and baking that I want to do for Yule. (I throw a party for friends and co-workers every year on or around the Solstice, and mass quantities of noms are involved.)

My #2 fear is that while I'm trying to get things in order for the holidays, I'll get distracted by an urge to renovate something to make the house a little bit prettier. This is a very reasonable fear. Back in the '90s, IIRC I once installed a new kitchen counter on Christmas Eve. Last year, 3 days before the Yule party, a friend and I were scrambling to finish plastering and painting My dining room so that we could re-install a light fixture on a recently upgraded circuit. Someone should just hide My toolbox in mid-November and not give it back until January.

We're currently doing drywall and wainscot work in the entrance hallway, BTW. Some things never change. Weeping

Holy smokes! I’ll thow a Yule party if you show up a week before Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Idiot customers at work who will no doubt bitch to me about how Christmas has become too materialized and the true meaning has been lost, all the while having a trolley filled with Christmas decorations and presents...

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
30-11-2014, 09:42 PM
(30-11-2014 09:24 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Idiot customers at work who will no doubt bitch to me about how Christmas has become too materialized and the true meaning has been lost, all the while having a trolley filled with Christmas decorations and presents...

Reminds me of an old story...

Not Always Working.com Wrote:(As an eager young 16 year old, I get my first job, as a busboy for a local pizzeria. While training me on my responsibilities, the manager tries to impart some timeless wisdom to me.)

Manager: “Customer service is important. You’ve heard the saying, I’m sure: ‘The Customer Is Always Right.’”

Me: “Yes, I’ve heard that.”

Manager: “Well, don’t believe it. Nine times out of ten, the customer is a f****** moron.”

Me: “…”

Manager: “But here’s the thing: the customer may be the biggest g****** sack of s*** douchebag idiot out there, but we want to take his money from him. So we let him THINK he’s right. If he says he’s the f****** king of France, what do you say to him?”

Me: “May I clear those plates, your majesty?”

Manager: “You’re going to do fine.”

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
30-11-2014, 09:44 PM
(30-11-2014 08:14 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 04:24 AM)Atheist_Artist Wrote:  What are your biggest fears about the holidays? What do you dread? What are your biggest challenges as an atheist over the holidays and how do you deal with them?

It's the 50th anniversary of "Rudolf" and I'm compelled to watch it. My fear is it won't live up to my childhood memory. My challenge is to how to get my kids to watch with me without calling me lame.

I love this time of year, btw. From mid October until New Year's is the best in my mind.

I think the kids would be right.

Those movies are lame... Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-11-2014, 10:38 PM
(30-11-2014 09:42 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 09:24 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Idiot customers at work who will no doubt bitch to me about how Christmas has become too materialized and the true meaning has been lost, all the while having a trolley filled with Christmas decorations and presents...

Reminds me of an old story...

Not Always Working.com Wrote:(As an eager young 16 year old, I get my first job, as a busboy for a local pizzeria. While training me on my responsibilities, the manager tries to impart some timeless wisdom to me.)

Manager: “Customer service is important. You’ve heard the saying, I’m sure: ‘The Customer Is Always Right.’”

Me: “Yes, I’ve heard that.”

Manager: “Well, don’t believe it. Nine times out of ten, the customer is a f****** moron.”

Me: “…”

Manager: “But here’s the thing: the customer may be the biggest g****** sack of s*** douchebag idiot out there, but we want to take his money from him. So we let him THINK he’s right. If he says he’s the f****** king of France, what do you say to him?”

Me: “May I clear those plates, your majesty?”

Manager: “You’re going to do fine.”

Funny story. Laugh out load Never heard that one, actually. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
01-12-2014, 04:34 AM
(30-11-2014 09:24 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ... too materialized

Dodgy

01-12-2014, 04:47 AM
(01-12-2014 04:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Dodgy

I know, right?

It's like they think that's a bad thing.

01-12-2014, 04:47 AM
(01-12-2014 04:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Dodgy

"Yay! Imagination Christmas! - I got a pogo stick! - I got a hula hoop!"

[Image: tumblr_ldlk1w0wl01qdoghio1_500.png]
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
01-12-2014, 08:07 AM
(30-11-2014 04:24 AM)Atheist_Artist Wrote:  What are your biggest fears about the holidays? What do you dread? What are your biggest challenges as an atheist over the holidays and how do you deal with them?

It's actually not too bad for me. Even when I was Christian, the holidays were more about visiting family than religious matters, for me. Sure, some of the carols my family sings are religious, and most of them (particularly, my parent's generation) are Christian, but there's actually very little mentioning of "the reason for the season". There is a bigger to do about Santa than Jesus at the big get together. There's probably a twenty second prayer before dinner, and that's it.

My wife actually asked me last year if this time of year is hard for me now that I don't believe anymore. I told her that I really haven't even noticed a difference, let alone worried about anything.

As much as the religious right hates it, Christmas has become a particularly secular holiday that just has strong Christian (and pagan) origins. I could decorate the crap out of my house to the point where people would comment on how much stuff I put up, and not have a single bit of Christian decoration in the mix. So long as you avoid nativities, angels on the tree, and stars on the tree, you're good to go.

(30-11-2014 04:24 AM)Atheist_Artist Wrote:  I would be extremely disappointed and if I got a religious gift because my family is very aware that I'm an atheist. I've made it very public. If I received a religious gift, I would feel like it was given to me thoughtlessly or out of defiance.

Did your family (or any individual members) make a fuss over you being atheist? I can tell my parents would be happier if I weren't, but it just seems to be something they don't talk about.

(30-11-2014 04:24 AM)Atheist_Artist Wrote:  What would you do if you receives a religious gift?

It depends on who gets it for me. If my parents or wife got it for me, I'd be fairly pissed. If someone more distant did, I'd probably politely thank them and move on with my life. I never "came out" to the extended family in any official way. I don't hide my atheism, but it's seldom something that comes up in normal conversation. I know a handful of relatives know, because I made a post in an open religious FaceBook group about why I don't believe in God anymore. I didn't realize that posts made in open groups will show up in the news feed of friends of mine who aren't in that group. The post got about half-a-dozen likes all from friends of mine who are not in the group. It wasn't something I was intending to hide, I just didn't realize I was "coming out" to random friends and family members.