What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2016, 06:41 PM
What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?
I was vegetarian for a pretty long time but then I stopped because I realized I didn't really have a good balanced diet and I didn't know where to start. I've always been very interested in veganism, I have friends who have been vegan for years and they love and say they would never go back. I've also heard that if you do it right, it can help with a healthy lifestyle and losing weight. What are your opinions on veganism? And if you are vegan, how has it been for you so far? Any draw backs?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2016, 06:47 PM
RE: What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?
It's fine if that what you want but it takes some knowledge and dedication to change lifelong eating habits. A nutritionist will help with the things you'll need, to eat a healthy diet without meat. Some will be trial and error. It's not just a diet for most, it's a way of thinking about life and food.

There are lots of sites with info that will help you too. Good luck.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
07-03-2016, 06:49 PM
I think we're omnivores. Too much of any one thing isn't healthy.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Its fine if you want to do it. Though I think not drinking milk or eating honey is overkill.
07-03-2016, 07:00 PM
I'm vegan and very healthy. As with anything, if you are going to be removing things from your diet, I highly recommend consulting a nutritionist first. You can make yourself very sick if you don't know what you are doing. If you do know what you are doing, being vegan can be very healthy if you don't like eating meat/dairy for whatever reason.

Oops forgot to add: I have not experienced any drawbacks. I am happy with my choice.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-03-2016, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 07:14 PM by yakherder.)
As a diet, it's fine. Humans can thrive off damn near anything. It's not measurably healthier or less healthy than any other well thought out nutrition plan that you actually stick to. The biggest problem is that because it's not mainstream, you really have to know what you're doing. The world is not based around a vegan diet, therefore going with the standard narrative regarding nutrition is not an option. To be a successful vegan, you absolutely have to educate yourself.

As an ethical lifestyle, I admire the intent but don't ultimately think it goes as far towards the accomplishment of its goals as its practitioners like to believe.

As a subject for debate, I'm indifferent. I don't care if you live off pig intestines or tofu. There are many bigger problems in the world more worthy of expending brain cells.

As a culinary creation, I find vegan cooking quite delicious. Enough so that I'm okay living with a vegetarian girlfriend and raising vegetarian kids despite not considering myself vegetarian (our problems are not diet related). Most of my favorite restaurants are vegan or vegetarian. One of the most delicious foods I can imagine are the toasted coconut sandwiches made at a local vegan restaurant that are meant as imitation BLTs that I find much better than the real thing. And Taiwanese vegetarian cooking.... God damn... Drooling

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
07-03-2016, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 07:42 PM by jennybee.)
(07-03-2016 07:10 PM)yakherder Wrote:  As a diet, it's fine. Humans can thrive off damn near anything. It's not measurably healthier or less healthy than any other well thought out nutrition plan that you actually stick to. The biggest problem is that because it's not mainstream, you really have to know what you're doing. The world is not based around a vegan diet, therefore going with the standard narrative regarding nutrition is not an option. To be a successful vegan, you absolutely have to educate yourself.

As an ethical lifestyle, I admire the intent but don't ultimately think it goes as far towards the accomplishment of its goals as its practitioners like to believe.

As a subject for debate, I'm indifferent. I don't care if you live off pig intestines or tofu. There are many bigger problems in the world more worthy of expending brain cells.

As a culinary creation, I find vegan cooking quite delicious. Enough so that I'm okay living with a vegetarian girlfriend and raising vegetarian kids despite not considering myself vegetarian (our problems are not diet related). Most of my favorite restaurants are vegan or vegetarian. One of the most delicious foods I can imagine are the toasted coconut sandwiches made at a local vegan restaurant that are meant as imitation BLTs that I find much better than the real thing. And Taiwanese vegetarian cooking.... God damn... Drooling

Vegan food can be very yummy. Thumbsup

I think everyone has different reasons for going vegan. For me it was an easy choice because I was a vegetarian for years as I don't like the texture of meat and I never really ate a ton of eggs or cheese (other than on pizza or if the eggs were in something). I also love animals and just really prefer not to eat them. And lastly, I do a lot of yoga and one of the yogic principles I adhere to is based on not eating meat.

I really like Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. Lots of yummy recipes in there. I also like anything by the Happy Herbivore (Lindsay S. Nixon).

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
08-03-2016, 01:22 AM
I don't care about veganism. I see no reason to be interested in what other people eat, it's their choice. If this eating habit isn't forced on them then they could eat grass for all I care.

Some vegan recipes are very good though.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
08-03-2016, 01:42 AM
I don't have a problem with it. Guess that makes me some kind of a pansy or something.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
08-03-2016, 01:51 AM
It would be fantastic if it was far more scientifically connected in many of the ideological bases. If more vegans were actually making bases on evidence based diets and don't have illogical "naturalistic" concepts of food that don't make actual scene to a lot of them it would be so much more respectable.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson