What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2016, 02:16 AM
RE: What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?
The worst part about veganism are the 'holier-than-thou' kind of people it attracts. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
08-03-2016, 05:11 AM
Thread moved from Personal Issues and Support to Health and Psychology.

FYI, these threads might be useful:
Why aren't more atheists vegan?
Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-03-2016, 07:27 AM
(08-03-2016 02:16 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The worst part about veganism are the 'holier-than-thou' kind of people it attracts. Laugh out load

All causes and beliefs and philosophies of life have holier than thou types. Christians can act holier than thou. Environmentalists can act holier than thou. Atheists can act holier than thou. It's not just veganism. People get passionate about things and sometimes don't go about things in the best way. I'm vegan and don't believe in telling anyone how to live their lives. I know many vegans who feel this way.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-03-2016, 09:04 AM
(08-03-2016 07:27 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 02:16 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The worst part about veganism are the 'holier-than-thou' kind of people it attracts. Laugh out load

All causes and beliefs and philosophies of life have holier than thou types. Christians can act holier than thou. Environmentalists can act holier than thou. Atheists can act holier than thou. It's not just veganism. People get passionate about things and sometimes don't go about things in the best way. I'm vegan and don't believe in telling anyone how to live their lives. I know many vegans who feel this way.

those atheists can be arrogant and annoying too.. as can the yogis who are that way Tongue

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-03-2016, 09:20 AM
(08-03-2016 09:04 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 07:27 AM)jennybee Wrote:  All causes and beliefs and philosophies of life have holier than thou types. Christians can act holier than thou. Environmentalists can act holier than thou. Atheists can act holier than thou. It's not just veganism. People get passionate about things and sometimes don't go about things in the best way. I'm vegan and don't believe in telling anyone how to live their lives. I know many vegans who feel this way.

those atheists can be arrogant and annoying too.. as can the yogis who are that way Tongue

Agreed and also my point. All ways of life have their martyrs. Although I will add I have yet to meet an arrogant yogi (there are yogic principles against acting that way)--although, I am sure arrogant yogis are out there. Most yoga people I know are fairly laid back, down to earth, and chill.
08-03-2016, 10:47 AM
I have no problem with it. I'm not a vegan, but my sister-in-law is. And my sister is a Vegetarian. Good for you if you like living that way.
[+] 1 user Likes Ash's post
08-03-2016, 10:55 AM
From my experience it tends to cluster with a number of irrational beliefs - albeit it certainly isn't itself.

Matters of taste and non-human empathy are obviously subjective; ecological efficiency far less so.

... this is my signature!
08-03-2016, 10:57 AM
(08-03-2016 09:20 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Although I will add I have yet to meet an arrogant yogi (there are yogic principles against acting that way)--although, I am sure arrogant yogis are out there. Most yoga people I know are fairly laid back, down to earth, and chill.
You are apparently too young to remember the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. That guy was a total opportunist. In fact, you can still attend his "university" in Iowa, where you can simultaneously get a degree in accounting and learn to levitate while bouncing on your butt (seriously!).

To the point of the OP, as a lifestyle, it's not for me, but have at it. It can be a pain for your host, though.
08-03-2016, 11:46 AM
(08-03-2016 10:57 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 09:20 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Although I will add I have yet to meet an arrogant yogi (there are yogic principles against acting that way)--although, I am sure arrogant yogis are out there. Most yoga people I know are fairly laid back, down to earth, and chill.
You are apparently too young to remember the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. That guy was a total opportunist. In fact, you can still attend his "university" in Iowa, where you can simultaneously get a degree in accounting and learn to levitate while bouncing on your butt (seriously!).

To the point of the OP, as a lifestyle, it's not for me, but have at it. It can be a pain for your host, though.

There are nuts in every walk of life. I just meant in my own circle of yoga friends, teachers, community, etc. I *personally* have yet to meet an arrogant one.
08-03-2016, 12:17 PM
It's your body. Do what you want with it. Just have an understanding of the results of any choices that would be made, and if your fine with them, care it out.

I feel that should be true across the board.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post