What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 07:32 PM
RE: What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?
(09-03-2016 07:30 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Quite true, but that in and of itself doesn't necessarily make it irrational. There are a lot of first world choices we must make to keep ourselves sane. The problems we face are different Smile

Agreed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2016, 07:35 PM
(09-03-2016 07:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 07:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think everyone has opinions on it--including doctors. But don;t forget not all doctors are nutritionists or have degrees in nutrition, My friend's doctor told him to go on a vegan diet due to his health. In California, there are many vegans--including medical professionals.

There are more than 20 nutritionists working in the hospital and I was informed by a nutritionist.

Diet is very important in my condition but she was speaking in a larger context.

Imagine being a vegan in Ethiopia during the famine. It's a class thing. "Ew I am wealthy enough to be a vegan" type of deal.

You'll eat anything when starving.

I would agree a vegan diet is not the best for everyone and I don;t believe there is a one size fits all diet for anyone. My friend for instance who has heart disease in his family and high cholesterol was told by his doctor to try a vegan diet. While this might work for someone like him, for someone with another medical issue it may not. For the average person with no medical issues, a vegan diet can be quite healthy if you know what you are doing, which is why I always advocate going to a nutritionist if you are going to make any changes in your diet. You can be quite healthy on a vegan diet.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-03-2016, 07:41 PM
(09-03-2016 07:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 07:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There are more than 20 nutritionists working in the hospital and I was informed by a nutritionist.

Diet is very important in my condition but she was speaking in a larger context.

Imagine being a vegan in Ethiopia during the famine. It's a class thing. "Ew I am wealthy enough to be a vegan" type of deal.

You'll eat anything when starving.

I would agree a vegan diet is not the best for everyone and I don;t believe there is a one size fits all diet for anyone. My friend for instance who has heart disease in his family and high cholesterol was told by his doctor to try a vegan diet. While this might work for someone like him, for someone with another medical issue it may not. For the average person with no medical issues, a vegan diet can be quite healthy if you know what you are doing, which is why I always advocate going to a nutritionist if you are going to make any changes in your diet. You can be quite healthy on a vegan diet.

I can agree. However I have the experience of going very hungry at times. Not everyone in first world countries has that problem. I'll eat anything and don't allow idealism to affect my choices.

I recall reading Seneca in one of his letters speaking of the virtues of being a vegetarian. So this idea is old. Seneca was of course a top patrician and could afford it. Those in the subura, not so much and were likely forced into it through sheer desperation.

People have all kinds of beliefs. Hell, some believe in hell! My mum used to say "Hell? It's hell on earth!" Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-03-2016, 06:04 PM
I don't give a shit what people eat(besides if they eat other people), but just don't try to use pseudoscience and feels to make it seem like it is one above all.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
12-03-2016, 06:13 PM
They're pussy fruitarianists.

#sigh
12-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Yesterday all I ate was a banana. I must be a vegan!

Banjo.
12-03-2016, 07:02 PM
(12-03-2016 06:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Yesterday all I ate was a banana. I must be a vegan!

Glad to have you Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-03-2016, 11:53 PM
I can see both sides. I'm a guilty meat-eater. I'm not against eating animals or animal products and continue to do so myself for taste and convenience, but I feel icky about the way we treat the animals we eat. I tried 100% Food (a soylent type product) for health and convenience reasons and it went pretty well. I'm currently on a "meat and eggs" diet to cut fat (b/c it worked for me before) but when I get off of it I'm thinking about going to the 100% food long-term for the majority of my diet.

Ultimately I think if the cloned meat industry ever gets off the ground and becomes available to everybody it will be much more likely than veganism to impact our treatment and use of animals. I'm hoping it becomes viable in the not-too-distant future.
17-03-2016, 07:25 AM
I can understand vegetarianism veganism I find more difficult but I can see why people go there, but not eating honey? Sorry don't get that at all that's a step too far down to crankyville I mean wtf?! I would like to try vegetarianism but bacon is my weakness, I couldn't resist a bacon sandwich.
17-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Why am I thinking of Notting hill, and the fruitarian?

Banjo.