What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2016, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2016 08:38 AM by jennybee.)
RE: What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?
(17-03-2016 08:23 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 07:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  This is why most vegans avoid honey. I personally don't really use a lot of sweeteners so I wouldn't use honey anyway whether I was vegan or not.

http://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/whats...ing-honey/
I would actually dispute that article, we are after all talking about insects and not sentient life forms, talking about bees being raped is quite frankly laughable sensationalism and bee keepers killing off their hives for the sake of expediency is also unlikely because the decline of the honeybee makes purchase of new colonies quite expensive colonies are usually only killed off by cyanide if they are infected with the veroa mite which is lethal in a multi hive environment and without beekeepers and their hives large orchards would struggle to be well pollenated which would be pretty disastrous for both vegans and non vegans alike.
I struggle with a lot of petas agenda I mean what next , save the mosquito ? Don't get me wrong I'm all for animal rights and compassion in farming and I hate cruelty to animals but we have also to be pragmatic IMHO.

I don't agree with all of PETA's agendas either. I was just posting a response to your post as to why many vegans choose not to eat honey. There are responsible bee keepers, but just like with anything, there are bee keepers who do not treat them humanely.

For me, as I mentioned, I don't use a ton of sweeteners, just based on personal preference. I also don't like to take anything from animals, including insects because I don't feel it is mine to take--even from something as small as a bee, who imo, has just as much right to be here as we do, no matter how small and insignificant they may seem to you. That said, I don't believe in pushing my beliefs on anyone--it's just my own belief system and how I choose to live my life. I understand not everyone feels that way and that's fine. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-03-2016, 08:40 AM
(17-03-2016 08:33 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 08:23 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I would actually dispute that article, we are after all talking about insects and not sentient life forms, talking about bees being raped is quite frankly laughable sensationalism and bee keepers killing off their hives for the sake of expediency is also unlikely because the decline of the honeybee makes purchase of new colonies quite expensive colonies are usually only killed off by cyanide if they are infected with the veroa mite which is lethal in a multi hive environment and without beekeepers and their hives large orchards would struggle to be well pollenated which would be pretty disastrous for both vegans and non vegans alike.
I struggle with a lot of petas agenda I mean what next , save the mosquito ? Don't get me wrong I'm all for animal rights and compassion in farming and I hate cruelty to animals but we have also to be pragmatic IMHO.

I don't agree with all of PETA's agendas either. I was just posting a response to your post as to why many vegans choose not to eat honey. There are responsible bee keepers, but just like with anything, there are bee keepers who do not treat them humanely.

For me, as I mentioned, I don't use a ton of sweeteners, just based on personal preference. I also don't like to take anything from animals, including insects because I don't feel it is mine to take--even from something as small as a bee, who imo, has just as much right to be here as we do, no matter how small and insignificant they may seem to you. That said, I don't believe in pushing my beliefs on anyone--it's just my own belief system and how I choose to live my life. I understand not everyone feels that way and that's fine.

Absolutely and I would fight to defend the right for you to live your life this way and there is so much of your philosophy I hugely admire and wish I could emulate, I hope our differences will not get bee- tween us Tongue
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
17-03-2016, 08:41 AM
(17-03-2016 08:40 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 08:33 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't agree with all of PETA's agendas either. I was just posting a response to your post as to why many vegans choose not to eat honey. There are responsible bee keepers, but just like with anything, there are bee keepers who do not treat them humanely.

For me, as I mentioned, I don't use a ton of sweeteners, just based on personal preference. I also don't like to take anything from animals, including insects because I don't feel it is mine to take--even from something as small as a bee, who imo, has just as much right to be here as we do, no matter how small and insignificant they may seem to you. That said, I don't believe in pushing my beliefs on anyone--it's just my own belief system and how I choose to live my life. I understand not everyone feels that way and that's fine.

Absolutely and I would fight to defend the right for you to live your life this way and there is so much of your philosophy I hugely admire and wish I could emulate, I hope our differences will not get bee- tween us Tongue

No, never Smile I bee-lieve in everyone living their lives the way they see fit, whatever that might bee Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-03-2016, 08:42 AM
(17-03-2016 08:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 08:40 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Absolutely and I would fight to defend the right for you to live your life this way and there is so much of your philosophy I hugely admire and wish I could emulate, I hope our differences will not get bee- tween us Tongue

No, never Smile I bee-lieve in everyone living their lives the way they see fit, whatever that might bee Big Grin

You're just pro bee sting. Dodgy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-03-2016, 08:57 AM
(17-03-2016 08:42 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 08:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  No, never Smile I bee-lieve in everyone living their lives the way they see fit, whatever that might bee Big Grin

You're just pro bee sting. Dodgy

Living in Oz I would imagine bee stings are the least of your worries mate from what I gather practically every creepy crawley there can kill you Tongue Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
17-03-2016, 08:58 AM
(17-03-2016 08:57 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 08:42 AM)Banjo Wrote:  You're just pro bee sting. Dodgy

Living in Oz I would imagine bee stings are the least of your worries mate from what I gather practically every creepy crawley there can kill you Tongue Laugh out load

Blue wasps are worth avoiding. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
17-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Woah blue wasps ? Never heard my relatives talk about them, Tasmanian tiger snakes redback spiders and nasty assed ants yes blue wasps no, what are they like and what happens when you get stung by one ?
17-03-2016, 09:03 AM
(17-03-2016 09:02 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Woah blue wasps ? Never heard my relatives talk about them, Tasmanian tiger snakes redback spiders and nasty assed ants yes blue wasps no, what are they like and what happens when you get stung by one ?

They are big. It really hurts, Smile

Banjo.
17-03-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm fine with the concept of vegetarian and/or vegan diets for other people, but it's definitely not my scene. Humans are naturally omnivores (which has probably already been confirmed elsewhere in this thread) so I see no reasons at all why I shouldn't eat meat, fish, poultry, dairy etc. In fact I believe that by eating selectively from those four food groups, I'm consuming a more balanced diet than any vegetarian or vegan. Humans also have a much shorter digestive structure than herbivores and don’t have specialized organs to digest cellulose, the main fibre in plants.

Additionally, vegetarian diets are notoriously lacking in long-chain omega-3 fatty acids such as docosahexaenoic acid, creatine, carnosine, calcium, zinc, and vitamins D, B12, and K2 to the extent that many nutritionists recommend dietary supplementation.

I'd rather eat meat than swallow vitamin pills LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
17-03-2016, 09:28 AM
(17-03-2016 09:13 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm fine with the concept of vegetarian and/or vegan diets for other people, but it's definitely not my scene. Humans are naturally omnivores (which has probably already been confirmed elsewhere in this thread) so I see no reasons at all why I shouldn't eat meat, fish, poultry, dairy etc. In fact I believe that by eating selectively from those four food groups, I'm consuming a more balanced diet than any vegetarian or vegan. Humans also have a much shorter digestive structure than herbivores and don’t have specialized organs to digest cellulose, the main fibre in plants.

Additionally, vegetarian diets are notoriously lacking in long-chain omega-3 fatty acids such as docosahexaenoic acid, creatine, carnosine, calcium, zinc, and vitamins D, B12, and K2 to the extent that many nutritionists recommend dietary supplementation.

I'd rather eat meat than swallow vitamin pills LOL.

Actually the only supplements I take are Omega 3, B12, and iodine. And really I don't need to take B12 at all because I consume fortified almond milk (which also has vitamin D) and I could get iodine from salt. There are many meat eaters who are deficient in vit D as well, as modern humans work long days in offices and don't get regular access to sunlight.