What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2016, 09:45 AM
RE: What are your honest thoughts about Veganism?
(17-03-2016 08:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 08:57 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Living in Oz I would imagine bee stings are the least of your worries mate from what I gather practically every creepy crawley there can kill you Tongue Laugh out load

Blue wasps are worth avoiding. Big Grin

Was just stung by one of those for the first time last year. Tarantula hawk wasp specifically. If you know where these live, steer clear. I was jogging on a running trail and it chased after me and turned my right leg into a swollen mess.

.......sorry for the sidebar. Angel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2016, 09:47 AM
(17-03-2016 09:13 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm fine with the concept of vegetarian and/or vegan diets for other people, but it's definitely not my scene. Humans are naturally omnivores (which has probably already been confirmed elsewhere in this thread) so I see no reasons at all why I shouldn't eat meat, fish, poultry, dairy etc. In fact I believe that by eating selectively from those four food groups, I'm consuming a more balanced diet than any vegetarian or vegan. Humans also have a much shorter digestive structure than herbivores and don’t have specialized organs to digest cellulose, the main fibre in plants.

Additionally, vegetarian diets are notoriously lacking in long-chain omega-3 fatty acids such as docosahexaenoic acid, creatine, carnosine, calcium, zinc, and vitamins D, B12, and K2 to the extent that many nutritionists recommend dietary supplementation.

I'd rather eat meat than swallow vitamin pills LOL.

Naturally omnivorous in the sense that 'traditional' diets around the world vary from near-100% meat to near-100% plant matter. Not that very many of them are actually all that healthy by modern standards... What that really means is that we eat what's available. Not that there's some uniqiue optimal combination.

We're worse at breaking down plant matter, but to be fair we're also worse at breaking down animal tissue.

I wouldn't say "notorious"; it's incredibly easy to get a complete diet today pretty much regardless.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
17-03-2016, 09:50 AM
(17-03-2016 09:47 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 09:13 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm fine with the concept of vegetarian and/or vegan diets for other people, but it's definitely not my scene. Humans are naturally omnivores (which has probably already been confirmed elsewhere in this thread) so I see no reasons at all why I shouldn't eat meat, fish, poultry, dairy etc. In fact I believe that by eating selectively from those four food groups, I'm consuming a more balanced diet than any vegetarian or vegan. Humans also have a much shorter digestive structure than herbivores and don’t have specialized organs to digest cellulose, the main fibre in plants.

Additionally, vegetarian diets are notoriously lacking in long-chain omega-3 fatty acids such as docosahexaenoic acid, creatine, carnosine, calcium, zinc, and vitamins D, B12, and K2 to the extent that many nutritionists recommend dietary supplementation.

I'd rather eat meat than swallow vitamin pills LOL.

Naturally omnivorous in the sense that 'traditional' diets around the world vary from near-100% meat to near-100% plant matter. Not that very many of them are actually all that healthy by modern standards... What that really means is that we eat what's available. Not that there's some uniqiue optimal combination.

We're worse at breaking down plant matter, but to be fair we're also worse at breaking down animal tissue.

I wouldn't say "notorious"; it's incredibly easy to get a complete diet today pretty much regardless.

My nutritionist has me consuming a bit higher grams of protein per day to make up for the breaking down of plant matter.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-03-2016, 09:52 AM
(17-03-2016 09:45 AM)Fishbowl Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 08:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Blue wasps are worth avoiding. Big Grin

Was just stung by one of those for the first time last year. Tarantula hawk wasp specifically. If you know where these live, steer clear. I was jogging on a running trail and it chased after me and turned my right leg into a swollen mess.

Yeah they are angry Mothers.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-03-2016, 09:56 AM
(17-03-2016 09:50 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 09:47 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Naturally omnivorous in the sense that 'traditional' diets around the world vary from near-100% meat to near-100% plant matter. Not that very many of them are actually all that healthy by modern standards... What that really means is that we eat what's available. Not that there's some uniqiue optimal combination.

My nutritionist has me consuming a bit higher grams of protein per day to make up for the breaking down of plant matter.

Well, yeah. No diet is perfect. It's only the hardest-core vegans - and the meat-eaters with a raging hate-boner for the aforementioned - who get into that territory of claim.

Given the absurd abundance of food choices we have today in the developed world, it really doesn't take much effort to come out looking all right, nutritionally speaking.

17-03-2016, 09:57 AM
I think vegans make some good points about the ethics involved in raising animals for food. But the way we grow crops for food ain't much better for the planet and the environment either. Nobody's saving the world by not eating bacon, don't fool yourselves. In terms of inter-species advocacy I'm a lot more concerned about the fate and welfare of the honey bee than I am the cow or chicken.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
17-03-2016, 09:59 AM
(17-03-2016 09:57 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think they make some good points about the ethics involved in raising animals for food. But the way we grow crops for food ain't much better for the planet and the environment either. Nobody's saving the world by not eating bacon, don't fool yourselves.

Agreed, but not all vegans are out to save the world. Some do it for health reasons, some because they love animals, some because they don't like the taste and consistency of meat, etc.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-03-2016, 10:01 AM
(17-03-2016 09:57 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think vegans make some good points about the ethics involved in raising animals for food. But the way we grow crops for food ain't much better for the planet and the environment either. Nobody's saving the world by not eating bacon, don't fool yourselves. In terms of inter-species advocacy I'm a lot more concerned about the fate and welfare of the honey bee than I am the cow or chicken.

Good point.
17-03-2016, 10:06 AM
(17-03-2016 09:45 AM)Fishbowl Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 08:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Blue wasps are worth avoiding. Big Grin

Thanks fishbowl I was searching for blue wasp on the internet and couldn't find it didn't know they had an alternative name any wasp that's bad assed enough to kill a tarantula sounds horrendous!
17-03-2016, 10:07 AM
(17-03-2016 09:57 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think vegans make some good points about the ethics involved in raising animals for food. But the way we grow crops for food ain't much better for the planet and the environment either. Nobody's saving the world by not eating bacon, don't fool yourselves. In terms of inter-species advocacy I'm a lot more concerned about the fate and welfare of the honey bee than I am the cow or chicken.

Every environmental aspect of raising animals exists on top of the environmental effects of raising crops. The one rather needs to eat the other. The efficiency is by definition and of necessity worse.
(to say nothing of other outputs - e.g. methane)

On the other hand food production is only one part of what we use livestock for - up to and including straight up old fashioned draft power for hundreds of millions of people still.

The individual impact of any one decision by any one person doesn't matter statistically. That's never a very good argument.