What are your plans for Thanksgiving, What are you making?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2017, 07:20 PM
RE: What are your plans for Thanksgiving, What are you making?
(14-11-2017 06:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-11-2017 04:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Oh, I cheat...and will freely admit it. I buy Sister Schubert's frozen yeast rolls. They are really pretty good. I brush some butter on the top before baking them.

You should know that my cooking skillz are way too limited to attempt to make homemade bread of any kind. Confused

Hey my grandma used to buy this frozen bread dough and make cinnamon rolls out of it. I never complained. Smile In fact, I was thinking about that one day recently.

She would also do rolls from a similar company, but I really don't know the name of it but they were frozen and you'd bake them off in the oven.

We don't have the oven space. The small turkey barely fits (we usually do a 15 pound, this year I contemplated getting a 10 pound one or a 13 pound...well almost 14...I settled on the nearly 14 pound one).

Once the turkey comes out, we have to tag team the rest of meal, the veggies are usually last, but the dressing/stuffing stuff takes the longest (nearly an hour).

What's in the stuffing? In Britain at Xmas its usually a sausage meat or sweet chestnut stuffing that goes in the turkey, what do you guys use ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
14-11-2017, 07:35 PM
I'll be working in the morning, probably headed over to Mom's when I get off at two pm, and if past years are any clue, it'll be the traditional turkey, trimmings, etc.

The family time is the main attraction for me, the food just keeps my stomach quiet.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
14-11-2017, 08:29 PM
I am soooooo looking forward to the stuffing. My aunt makes a vegetarian stuffing with veggie broth, apples, nuts, herbs, cranberries and really good bread. It is amazing.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
14-11-2017, 08:46 PM
(14-11-2017 08:29 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am soooooo looking forward to the stuffing. My aunt makes a vegetarian stuffing with veggie broth, apples, nuts, herbs, cranberries and really good bread. It is amazing.

That sounds so good! Drooling

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-11-2017, 09:01 PM
It really is. I am craving it now, damn it! lol

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
14-11-2017, 09:20 PM
A few years ago we stopped bothering with turkey. We looked at each other and said, is turkey something we really enjoy, or is it just the should-do thing? That's a lot of hassle? So we have: ham, stuffing, green beans, cranbury sause, mashed potatoes and gravy.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
14-11-2017, 09:33 PM
(14-11-2017 09:20 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  A few years ago we stopped bothering with turkey. We looked at each other and said, is turkey something we really enjoy, or is it just the should-do thing? That's a lot of hassle? So we have: ham, stuffing, green beans, cranbury sause, mashed potatoes and gravy.

I tried that once, suggesting my wife's lasagna or my slow-cooker pulled pork.

Let's just say that my suggestion was not well received...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
15-11-2017, 02:44 PM
(14-11-2017 07:20 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(14-11-2017 06:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hey my grandma used to buy this frozen bread dough and make cinnamon rolls out of it. I never complained. Smile In fact, I was thinking about that one day recently.

She would also do rolls from a similar company, but I really don't know the name of it but they were frozen and you'd bake them off in the oven.

We don't have the oven space. The small turkey barely fits (we usually do a 15 pound, this year I contemplated getting a 10 pound one or a 13 pound...well almost 14...I settled on the nearly 14 pound one).

Once the turkey comes out, we have to tag team the rest of meal, the veggies are usually last, but the dressing/stuffing stuff takes the longest (nearly an hour).

What's in the stuffing? In Britain at Xmas its usually a sausage meat or sweet chestnut stuffing that goes in the turkey, what do you guys use ?

Basically bread (broken into small pieces, like croutons) with some other stuff mixed in (rarely any meat). See ShadowProject's post a bit below yours for an example.
15-11-2017, 02:53 PM
What are my plans for Thanksgiving? Cooking some food. Eating it. That's about it. Drinking Beverage

I am going to go to yoga on Thanksgiving morning come hell or high water. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Stuffing = croutons, sausage, mushrooms, parsley, celery (green stalks, not root), onion. Cut into small chunks and mixed with broth.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man