What are your plans for the upcoming holidays?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2017, 03:48 PM
What are your plans for the upcoming holidays?
I'm having an Excessmas* party and a New Year's Eve cocktail party. I'm cooking for Excessmas (Lord, help us all Tongue Laugh out load ). I'm still working on my menu, but probably steaks for meat people and a lentil loaf for me. I'm thinking baked potatoes, asparagus, salad, some dinner rolls. Appetizers: hummus, sliced veg, cheese (vegan and dairy), crackers, stuffed mushrooms, and bruschetta. I saw a really delicious looking vegan chocolate pound cake at the store so maybe that for dessert.

For my New Year's Eve cocktail party, anyone have any good signature drinks they can share?

What are your plans for whatever you are celebrating?

*props to LJ for coining the term "Excessmas."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
07-12-2017, 03:54 PM
RE: What are your plans for the upcoming holidays?
Try to not work.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
07-12-2017, 03:58 PM
(07-12-2017 03:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm having an Excessmas* party and a New Year's Eve cocktail party. I'm cooking for Excessmas (Lord, help us all Tongue Laugh out load ). I'm still working on my menu, but probably steaks for meat people and a lentil loaf for me. I'm thinking baked potatoes, asparagus, salad, some dinner rolls. Appetizers: hummus, sliced veg, cheese (vegan and dairy), crackers, stuffed mushrooms, and bruschetta. I saw a really delicious looking vegan chocolate pound cake at the store so maybe that for dessert.

For my New Year's Eve cocktail party, anyone have any good signature drinks they can share?

A lot of that food sounds good. I don't really do cocktails anymore (I drink my whisky straight these days), but when I did, my favorite was kind of a poor man's whiskey sour: Bourbon (rye is even better), Squirt soda, lemon juice, and lime juice, with ice. Best tasting cocktail I've ever had. I gave it up because the Squirt has too much sugar for a diabetic like me (and I will not use diet soda in a mixed drink), and I wanted to taste the whiskey without it being overpowered by all the other stuff. But that was a damn tasty cocktail.

What I'm doing for the holidays: staying home from work. Otherwise, nothing special. I am a boring stay-at-home stick in the mud these days, but I have enough hobbies to keep me busy and happy. I expect to enjoy those days off.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
07-12-2017, 04:03 PM
For the 24th most of my relatives will descend on one unfortunate house. A rare event and opportunity to catch up on what's happening in the family tree. There will be some mild racism, some graduation stories, some brand new cousin to corrupt, etc. Games will be played. Traditional food will be eaten.
A mature (boring) city Christmas this year.

For new years I'll go to the cabin. Probably alone. Listening to the fire crackling and watch the tiny colourful dots exploding in the distance.
Big family events are too exhausting to have two of so close together.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
07-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Headed home for about two weeks to have Christmas presents and dinner with family. Going to the movies with some friends and going to try and play Super Mario 3 with my best friend (and meet his new kid).

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
07-12-2017, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 05:46 PM by Aliza.)
Video games, tv, maybe light a few candles, plot my after-christmas shopping spree, and reorganze my closet (again). My parents want me to visit; that's always a fun drive. Dodgy Oh, also doing some volunteer work.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
07-12-2017, 05:42 PM
The plan is to try and pick up as many hours I can on stat holidays for the extra pay. We can open presents on a day when my time is worth less.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
07-12-2017, 06:07 PM
(07-12-2017 03:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm having an Excessmas* party and a New Year's Eve cocktail party. I'm cooking for Excessmas (Lord, help us all Tongue Laugh out load ). I'm still working on my menu, but probably steaks for meat people and a lentil loaf for me. I'm thinking baked potatoes, asparagus, salad, some dinner rolls. Appetizers: hummus, sliced veg, cheese (vegan and dairy), crackers, stuffed mushrooms, and bruschetta. I saw a really delicious looking vegan chocolate pound cake at the store so maybe that for dessert.

I’ll be trying to survive and stay sane at my old man’s place for Giftmas week. He lives up on the Yorke Peninsula about 165km from true civilisation. I say “trying” because I’ll be away from most of my distractions that I have here at home which help keep the madness at bay.

Also it’s summer, so unless the current weird weather keeps up, it’s going to be a sweltering, fly swarmed Podunk hellhole. Dirt roads and horses as a legitimate means of transportation to some.

I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a good collection of nice shots to spam the Photography thread with when I return. It’ll take hours to sort all the trash from an entire week though. Way out there, there’s some chances of getting shots of animals I never see down here. Wedge-tail eagles, plovers, kangaroos, emus, snakes, giant seagulls... not to mention all the ruins. Back in the frontier days the place used to be a copper mining hotspot, so there’s tonnes of remnants of that age gone by in the area; crumbling old mining buildings, archeotech from the industry.

I just hope I don’t go mad and bring the mood down... I did last time I was there and dad had to drive me all the way home...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
07-12-2017, 07:34 PM
Christmas will either be at home with family, plus a trip to the movies to see my son's choice of film, or at my friend's house who does a big party every year with a Yankee Swap present extravaganza. If it's home, we won't do much crazy in the way of food. If we go to my friend, I'll have to figure out what to bring (hello, wine and cheese!). New Year's Day will be the annual cocktails, brunch, and chamber music at a different friend's place. I'll get to catch up with people I mostly see once or twice a year.

Up through Christmas Eve I'll mostly be working, with the week between Christmas and New Year's to relax.

My son will be home for winter break, so our evil cat will be ecstatic.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
07-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Nothing! Just enjoying what I have because I don't want anything.
[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post