What are your priorities? (Surveyish thingy)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2013, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2013 02:16 PM by Reltzik.)
What are your priorities? (Surveyish thingy)
Non-believers, when getting into debates with believers, what are your goals in the conversation, from most-important to least?

Mine, for example are:

Maintaining personal integrity (I'm not going to lie about believing just to make them happy)
Being civil (though this can slip a bit down the list)
Getting them to be civil (this can be very easy, or very, very hard)
Having fun (though for me their civility is wrapped up in this, and often mine is too, so I'm not sure this is a separate point)
Understanding their perspective
Getting them to understand my perspective (sometimes required to get them to be civil)

I don't usually make an effort to deconvert, and it's not really a priority for me.

Do you tend to be successful in your priorities?

For the believers out there, same question in reverse.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2013, 03:16 PM
RE: What are your priorities? (Surveyish thingy)

1. Try to avoid the debate in the first place (face to face religious discussions never turn out well for me)
2. Civility is good but it seldom lasts long.
3. Try to keep them from burning me at the stake.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
Dave Barry

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
18-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
18-02-2013, 07:00 PM
A debate for me requires two points of view. When one person has their eyes open and observes reality and the other person only sees everything as imaginary paint that was painted into existence by a magical painter that doesn't exist, then there can be no debate.

I can try to explain to them how the world works if they are curious enough to ask, but that's still not a debate.
That's just me educating them.

You just have to walk away and say "I hope you are happy in your little world and please don't vote in elections."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
18-02-2013, 08:19 PM
1) Be ready for any oncoming argument. (This means in-depth study on a wide range of topics in your down-time)

2) Be ready to cite sources if necessary.

3) Don't make any fallacious arguments. (And if you make something that can be mistaken for a fallacious argument, be prepared to explain why it's not)

4) Attempt to stay as calm and reasonable as possible. (Hostility and name-calling can be saved for those who are officially branded as lost causes)

5) Try to have an idea - based on previous experience - of what arguments the theist is going to make and in what order. (Refer to numbers 1 and 2)

6) Leave the fucker's arguments broken and bleeding in the dust.

7) ???

8) Profit.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2013, 08:52 PM
(18-02-2013 02:10 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ... what are your goals in the conversation, from most-important to least?

1) Ensuring that neutral observers realises that I'm one smart fucker
2) Ridicule
3) See above.

Note: Regarding point 1: Anyone who has read Eric Berne's Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships will recognise that I'm playing the game known as "Ooh! Aen't you clever Mr Murgatroyd".
Guilty as charged but it helps to pay the bills.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post