What are your thoughts and opinions on the idea of 'karma'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 12:08 AM
What are your thoughts and opinions on the idea of 'karma'?
My entire time as a religious person I always had this idea of karma, that it was real. Not so much that god had anything to do with it, but that the universe had a way of making things work out. You do good things and you get good karma, you do bad things and you get bad karma. But as a new free thinker I'm not really sure if I still look at karma that way, or if i still believe in it. Sometimes we get correlation, causation, and coincidences mixed up. My family always taught me that you reap what you sow. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and views on karma to learn something new!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 12:28 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: What are your thoughts and opinions on the idea of 'karma'?
Karma has zero basis in evidence.

That being said, reciprocation is a very real human social phenomena, with generally evolutionary advantageous benefits.

Reciprocal Altruism @ Wikipedia

In evolutionary biology, reciprocal altruism is a behaviour whereby an organism acts in a manner that temporarily reduces its fitness while increasing another organism's fitness, with the expectation that the other organism will act in a similar manner at a later time. The concept was initially developed by Robert Trivers to explain the evolution of cooperation as instances of mutually altruistic acts. The concept is close to the strategy of "tit for tat" used in game theory.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-12-2015, 12:58 AM
But bad things happen to good people, and vice versa...it's just confirmation bias, really. It's comfortable, but there's just no evidence for it at all.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
14-12-2015, 02:10 AM
I do think you reap what you sow--but not in a religious context. If someone continues to do bad things, those bad things could catch up to them eventually. For instance, if someone continuously commits crimes, eventually they are going to get caught and have to deal with the ramifications of that. Additionally, like EK mentioned, if you do something good and help others, they are more apt to reciprocate and help you when you are in need.

I don't believe in karma--that the universe is keeping track. I think it is our own actions that can create cause and effect.
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
14-12-2015, 03:27 AM
I must confess to a certain visceral satisfaction when some dickhead gets their come-uppance...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
14-12-2015, 06:06 AM
No such thing as karma. The notion presupposes a spiritual existence. Of which there is none.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
14-12-2015, 06:16 AM
There is no such thing as karma.

However, it is true that people will remember and react to how you have acted in the past, especially the very bad and very good stuff.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
14-12-2015, 06:22 AM
It's a nice idea.

But......

I've seen too many complete assholes who prospered to ever believe in karma....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Here is the only Karma I believe in...

[img][Image: P6070874_zpsnpiedh7l.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
14-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Karma? Life is like a sewer; you only get out of it what you put into it.