What are your thoughts and opinions on the idea of 'karma'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2015 09:15 AM by Mr. Boston.)
RE: What are your thoughts and opinions on the idea of 'karma'?
It's one of the few religious or "spiritual" concepts conceived by man that I most wish were true; but isn't. Assholes tend to get ahead; nice guys finish last - most of the time. I do think there's something to be said for the fact that people who continually choose courses of action which benefit only themselves are eventually found out as the selfish bastards they are and that the bonds they form are mostly superficial and rarely meaningful or long-lasting. Whether they see that as a problem or not is another question. I would like to think that conducting myself in a "genuine" manner eventually pays off by forming deep bonds that are enriching and rewarding in my life. But being a "good guy" is no guarantee you won't get hit by a bus.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
14-12-2015, 10:17 AM
(14-12-2015 12:08 AM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  My entire time as a religious person I always had this idea of karma, that it was real. Not so much that god had anything to do with it, but that the universe had a way of making things work out. You do good things and you get good karma, you do bad things and you get bad karma. But as a new free thinker I'm not really sure if I still look at karma that way, or if i still believe in it. Sometimes we get correlation, causation, and coincidences mixed up. My family always taught me that you reap what you sow. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and views on karma to learn something new!

1. It's woo wrapped in a cool name.
2. Just what would be the Karma for mass murder?
3. It's a scapegoating the responsibility to take action yourself. "Karma will get you."
4. It's wishful thinking for the impotent.

Karma is equal to prayer in its effectiveness. Nil.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
14-12-2015, 10:21 AM
I am not allowed to play with Karma anymore. Confused

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
14-12-2015, 10:24 AM
I think the concept of Karma is designed to reaffirm those of us naturally inclined to be generally good people; so that we'll feel less taken advantage of by those who exploit life's little loopholes and shortcuts to get what they want. I'm sure we've all been plodding through traffic at one point or another and seen a guy race up the right-turn-only lane to the light then merge left effectively cutting off dozens of people who've done the "right thing" by waiting their turn. If there's Karma in the world, then guys like that will eventually get theirs. If not, maybe we're all wasting our time being polite and we should just say FTW, and look out only for ourselves and watch the world burn. Karma's great because it allows us to think that the prick who cuts us off will be paid back by the universe, but that WE will also be rewarded for following the rules.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
14-12-2015, 03:04 PM
Karma is just woo. That's it.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
14-12-2015, 03:17 PM
(14-12-2015 03:04 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Karma is just woo. That's it.

Yup, but unlike "original sin" and all that other garbage I can understand why Karma is a popular bit of woo.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
14-12-2015, 03:26 PM
(14-12-2015 03:17 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 03:04 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Karma is just woo. That's it.

Yup, but unlike "original sin" and all that other garbage I can understand why Karma is a popular bit of woo.
I get the idea that if you are an asshole to everyone, no one will help. Call it karma, three-fold, or sow/reap. But karma as a universal power that causes rebirth levels is silly to me.

So the actual karma, not. The colloquial karma, yes. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
14-12-2015, 03:27 PM
There'd be good statistical evidence that it exists, if it does exist. There's no evidence.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
14-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Karma as defined by the ancient religions is just woo and wishful thinking.

But as others have stated, cause and effect is real. How we treat others and how we view the world often affects how we are treated by the world. That is not to say that being nice means others are always nice back. Game theory, on the surface, seems to be the best available model for understanding complex interactions of people.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5S-YIOhmPCUOUtP1cTNE...LXrGGZUOif]

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 3 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
14-12-2015, 06:19 PM
I've seen far too many good people have bad things happen to them to make me think karma is real.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post