What are your thoughts and opinions on the idea of 'karma'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 10:23 PM
RE: What are your thoughts and opinions on the idea of 'karma'?
you know after seeing assholes living amazing lives I would say the opposite of karma exist. though it doesn't

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
17-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Clearly, karma has no scientific support. "What goes around comes around" does have merit though, in the sense that the right people become aware of an asshole's wrongdoings, and make them pay. It is what some people live for Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
18-12-2015, 11:11 AM
(17-12-2015 11:20 PM)skyking Wrote:  Clearly, karma has no scientific support. "What goes around comes around" does have merit though, in the sense that the right people become aware of an asshole's wrongdoings, and make them pay. It is what some people live for Smile

"I live only to see you live to regret everything that you've done."

-Patty Griffin, Cold As It Gets

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Very broadly, doing good and being kind to others is more likely to generate similar behavior toward you.

Other than that, there is no more validity to magical karma than to heaven.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
18-12-2015, 03:50 PM
(14-12-2015 06:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's a nice idea.

But......

I've seen too many complete assholes who prospered to ever believe in karma....

The prospering of complete assholes — sort of the flip side of the "problem of evil" — is, I believe, one reason Christians cling so desperately to belief in heaven. In this world, it's quite obvious that complete assholes often profit and live quite well.

I know a guy who was just a fuckpig even in elementary school, as were his two brothers. Their father was an abusive alcoholic, and they were in turn incredible bullies. He grew up, unsurprisingly, to be a fuckpig as well as a drug addict and nasty, violent, drunk (I caught him trying to make his 9 y.o. kid scream in pain in the coat closet during a Christmas Eve dinner and there was true glee in his eyes). One brother died young from an overdose; the other is a raging, violent alcoholic ... but it's OK because he is also a Promise Keeper.

But he also happened to stumble into a successful business: Crocs shoes (yes, those Crocs shoes). He and some partners started that business, and it took off. Because he is a total asshole, the partners jettisoned him from the company and he walked with a reported $380 million.

But here's the punch line: That company began struggling not long after, and none of his non-asshole partners ever made it anywhere near as big as he did.

Every time I see him staggering around the streets I think, "This is why Christians need to believe in heaven."

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
18-12-2015, 04:55 PM
(18-12-2015 11:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 11:20 PM)skyking Wrote:  Clearly, karma has no scientific support. "What goes around comes around" does have merit though, in the sense that the right people become aware of an asshole's wrongdoings, and make them pay. It is what some people live for Smile

"I live only to see you live to regret everything that you've done."

Ah, revenge. A dish best served hot as the unrelenting flames of hell itself.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
18-12-2015, 04:57 PM
(18-12-2015 04:55 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 11:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  "I live only to see you live to regret everything that you've done."

Ah, revenge. A dish best served hot as the unrelenting flames of hell itself.

Isn't that an old Klingon proverb? Consider

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
18-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Ka'plak 'na!
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
20-12-2015, 08:21 AM
Karma is not real. What's strange is I know a couple atheists personally that believe in karma 100%. They deny the existence of God on lack of physical evidence but except 'feels' when it comes to karma.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
20-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Karma is simply another superstitious word describing the human emotion of revenge, getting even. There is no magic power that humans or "something" has that creates justice. In reality in our entire species history sometimes the bad person goes their entire lives without getting caught and even being successful.

Evolution is not about good always winning, it is merely about getting to the point of reproduction. Our species evolved with both the ability to be cruel or compassionate. Unfortunately both work. Our empathy is also evolutionary which gives us our value of others so when bad things happen we react to those and seek to stop it, but there is no magic in that emotion.

Theistic concepts of hell and or punishment are the same, all stupid childish gap filling answers as to why good and bad happen.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post