What are your thoughts on communism?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
08-03-2015, 10:40 AM
RE: What are your thoughts on communism?
It might work if the government running things wasn't composed of complete idiots or power hungry people. So far the examples of communism I've looked at didn't work mainly for these reasons.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2015, 09:28 PM
(01-03-2015 01:58 PM)rezider Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 01:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Any one who sticks to any "ism" is bound to be disappointed. Humanity is too fucked up for that.

Agreed!

It's out of the current topic but it's proof of concept: Neil deGrasse Tyson on "ism"

I love Tyson but he don't seem to know what arheist means.
08-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Communism might work if you take away the whole "everybody gets the same shit" stuff.. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
10-03-2015, 05:17 PM
(08-03-2015 09:29 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Communism might work if you take away the whole "everybody gets the same shit" stuff.. Smile

But that ain't it. It's from each according to their ability and to each according to their need and I can guarantee that my fatass needs a shitload more than you. Tongue

#sigh
10-03-2015, 07:27 PM
(01-03-2015 06:55 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 06:41 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  In theory it could work.

Human nature doesn't work that way. People will always want more. Hell, some want to be worshiped as gods. Doesn't that tell you something? Humans are never satisfied with what they have because the grass is always greener elsewhere.

You might be right. Alass, the only real way I can see out of the monetary and physical ownership aspect of it is when we can finally evolve beyond the need for an monetary based economy. That which I feel is somewhere between 400-1000 years or so.

Once we are able to solve the problem of free energy, food replicator and have a second planet going. I believe at that point, within a single or two generations. We can easily condition and...well..I know it is the wrong word but. "brain wash" all further future generations into being indoctrinated to having the belief that nearly anything such as food, resources, knowledge or let's say that new gaming system "if there is still video games then lol" is yours and free....so long as you remember that only by doing your part in the collective human race to keep furthering our species and economic system is the only way you and everyone else can have everything they want. People can eventually be conditioned and through social crap that we do not have the science and understanding for right now, can and will eventually erase the egotistical, arrogant and greed natural of our current version of humanity out of existence.

This will especially be true with trans-humanism, since it will be so advanced by than, we can just "edit out" the parts of the personality by choice or by design ahead of time.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
10-03-2015, 07:36 PM
I'd attest to that in any real sense of what communism is supposed to be, it hasn't been implemented by any government force. Perhaps it can't be.

I'm not so sure if I'm for it being a desire in a trans-future system or just for ideals of some communist promoters of the past. The ideas of seeing it may only work with constant eternal change and revolution being embraced. Not in any cynical violent way but in a social order that doesn't allow there to ever be a "having" class. Obviously any communist attempt with a government that takes charge and resources on supreme levels isn't going to function unless it's overly abundant in resources.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-03-2015, 08:10 PM
(10-03-2015 07:27 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  You might be right. Alass, the only real way I can see out of the monetary and physical ownership aspect of it is when we can finally evolve beyond the need for an monetary based economy. That which I feel is somewhere between 400-1000 years or so.

Unfortunately, the inverse of this progression is more likely. Modern humans spent most of their prehistory and evolved within small groups that existed without the concept of possession. This wasn't because they thought it was wrong, it was because there was nothing worth possessing so the concept never occurred to them. Their survival was not dependent on objects to the extent that it is today, and the few tools they had were not constructed of scarce resources. This changed with the introduction of agriculture and the beginnings of what we'd define as civilization, with the first scarce resource being farmland. Every resource on which we've become dependent since then, from iron to helium to plutonium, and the diversification of the workforce that is inevitable with so many different specializations, further increases the need for symbolic representation of leverage. i.e. money.

The kind of world we'd prefer to live in is irrelevant. That's not how evolution works, unfortunately. Those societies which eschewed the concept of possession have, for the most part, been systematically destroyed for the simple reason that societies whose cultures allow them to dominate, control, and utilize resources in the achievement of their objectives have a distinct survival advantage over those whose cultures do not.

When the conversation comes up, that's why I always say I daydream about going back to pre stone age. We're moving in a direction for which we aren't ideally adapted. The instincts from which many of our fears and desires are based are obsolete, having evolved in a completely different context than the one in which we exist today.

'Murican Canadian
11-03-2015, 07:35 AM
(10-03-2015 05:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 09:29 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Communism might work if you take away the whole "everybody gets the same shit" stuff.. Smile

But that ain't it. It's from each according to their ability and to each according to their need and I can guarantee that my fatass needs a shitload more than you. Tongue

Depends on how you define "need". Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2015, 07:38 AM
(02-03-2015 07:17 AM)Blackout Wrote:  Nice try, but I didn't say I was exclusively a meritocrat. I think meritocracy can bring lots of benefits, but my political views are not summed up merely by that. Saying I am X doesn't mean I agree 100% with everything associated with the ideology. It simply means I agree with the core ideas.

So do you agree 100% with the definition posted by DLJ?

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
11-03-2015, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 08:18 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(02-03-2015 07:18 AM)Blackout Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 07:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Definition of MERITOCRACY.
1 : a system in which the talented are chosen and moved ahead on the basis of their achievement.
2 : leadership selected on the basis of intellectual criteria.
And this is great. I don't adhere to social darwinism though.

I think communism is anti-merit but capitalism isn't any different because it allows wealth to be passed trough generations of families, allowing a big concentration without any effort at all. I don't want to choose between both because they're both bad. I support capitalism because it's the only choice in the society I live right now, but I'm not going to say we couldn't come up with a more perfect system.

[Image: 82733-why-not-both-meme-5LvD.jpeg]

Capitalism is really good at one thing; generating profits.

The next sensible question is; what are we comfortable with being profit driven?

Should health-care be profit driven? Should the police, prisons, fire-departments, hospitals, and EMT's be profit driven? Should the military be profit driven? Should essential utilities and infrastructure be profit driven? Should the government itself be profit driven?

The internet is a great field for innovation, but should ISP's be allowed to monopolize access to it? Is it now fundamentally important enough that it should be more heavily regulated, if not brought into the public sector (where, ironically enough, it started as DARPAnet), in order to guarantee reliable maintenance and affordable access to it?

Capitalism is great at innovating, so long as there is a profit to be gained. How much do we want to sacrifice at the altar of progress and innovation in the name of profit?

I'd like to think that the purpose of government is to provide for the governed, and it should always operate with their best interest at heart. Government can, and I'd argue should, be used to control capitalism through regulation. Be it safety standards for workers or consumer protection laws, or incentivising things that will benefit society but otherwise wouldn't see capitalist involvement because of a lack of profit potential (like green energy and wildlife protection).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post