What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2015, 06:09 PM
What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?
So the other night I was watching The Conjuring and it got me thinking about possession and ghosts. The Conjuring is supposed to be based off true events and apparently that house is notorious for wicked things happening there. Apparently every time someone moves in something crazy or unexplained has happened, people go crazy and there are things that happen that they can't explain.
I'm what would you call a newbie to free thinking, I left my faith behind a few months ago so I still don't have 'opinions' on possession and ghosts. Now of course atheists don't believe in demons because then that would be hinting that there is a deity. But, what are your opinions on this? I think a lot of us have had weird "ghostly" experiences, things that have happened to us that are just not explainable. What are your views on this? How do you wrap your head around this?
I'm asking this because I am genuinely curious and I would love to gain some knowledge about something I don't quite know about.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2015, 06:21 PM
RE: What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?

[+] 6 users Like Talviomena's post
24-11-2015, 06:24 PM
(24-11-2015 06:09 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  So the other night I was watching The Conjuring and it got me thinking about possession and ghosts. The Conjuring is supposed to be based off true events and apparently that house is notorious for wicked things happening there. Apparently every time someone moves in something crazy or unexplained has happened, people go crazy and there are things that happen that they can't explain.
I'm what would you call a newbie to free thinking, I left my faith behind a few months ago so I still don't have 'opinions' on possession and ghosts. Now of course atheists don't believe in demons because then that would be hinting that there is a deity. But, what are your opinions on this? I think a lot of us have had weird "ghostly" experiences, things that have happened to us that are just not explainable. What are your views on this? How do you wrap your head around this?
I'm asking this because I am genuinely curious and I would love to gain some knowledge about something I don't quite know about.

All crap, that simple. Humans have always claimed these things, but it is still the same argument of ignorance that leads people to make claims of gods.

Humans do not understand how notoriously false their perceptions can be. It is no different than when a kid goes to a Halloween party, and someone covers up a bowl of olives in a dark room, they stick their hands in it thinking they are eyeballs. But with adults this is more "power of suggestion" and or mental illness or stress induced. It is literally a misfire in the brain.

When I was a kid, I had three instances where I thought I saw, 3 relatives standing at the end of my bed in the middle of the night. One was my dead grandmother, the other was my dead father, and one was my still living mother. All three times it felt real. But the truth was my dream state was mixing with my open eyes. The term I think is called sleep paralysis.

In ancient times it would be more of demons or gargoyles from a nightmare because of stories or artwork, or tall tales of murder someone might have heard about, and they would mostly dream where the illusion was standing or sitting on their chest, not a relative standing at the end of the bed.

You can also interact with the TV while you are asleep. Not really of course, but you can talk in your sleep or the characters you are listening to can creep into your dreams.

Bottom line, there are no such things as "spirits" or "demons" or an afterlife. That is all crap humans believe because they don't understand how their brains can and do fool them in a scientific sense.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-11-2015, 06:32 PM
(24-11-2015 06:21 PM)Talviomena Wrote:  

I like how the Ouija board spells out "I am fooling myself." Thumbsup
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
24-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Stage hypnosis, faith healing, speaking in tongues, falling out in a Pentecostal service, etc. also work in a similar way. When you're surrounded by people who are expecting an entertaining spectacle, you play along, and your brain fools you into thinking that you had no control in the matter.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
24-11-2015, 07:02 PM
I don't think there are ghosts or demons and haven't to date seen any evidence that convinces me otherwise. Demonic possession, in particular, is a dangerous concept, as it encourages people to torture someone who is mentally ill/rebellious/different in hopes of forcing them into conformity.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
24-11-2015, 07:27 PM
I think people are really open to the power of suggestion. If someone says a place is haunted more people will start attributing things (like the house settling or shadows) to supernatural causes. I also think people associate bad things that happen at a place (for ex. if someone was murdered there) with "bad energy." So if anything falls on the ground or if someone hears a strange a noise, it has to be the ghost of the person who was murdered there who is doing it Hobo (and not from natural causes).
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-11-2015, 07:50 PM
[Image: 6a00d83452403c69e201a3fd351ac4970b-pi]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 6 users Like Minimalist's post
24-11-2015, 07:52 PM
I can take it or leave it.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-11-2015, 07:55 PM
(24-11-2015 06:21 PM)Talviomena Wrote:  Superstition.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post