What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2015, 07:46 AM
RE: What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?
(24-11-2015 06:09 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  What are your views on this? How do you wrap your head around this?

Others have already hit on a lot of things. There's no "one" answer. Our brain is really weird and it can "see" or otherwise experience things that aren't really real. Some people with schizophrenia will get very vivid hallucinations. Sleep paralysis can give a very strong impression of an evil presence in the room (this happened to me once, when I was nine). People will believe all manner of things if they simply want to (power of suggestion). And, let's not forget no shortage of hoaxes, where people fake things like ghosts.

There are a lot of people who have claimed to see or hear ghosts. I know several people myself who claim this. I imagine almost every person in the world does. In the six-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon sense of the word, we're all probably two degrees away from "ghost"... yet, no one has ever been able to corroborate their claims. Ever. There are probably tens of millions of people in this world who claim to have seen or experienced a ghost... and not one of them has ever been able to verify their claims.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
25-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Would be fun, no evidence.

*Why* would demons run around being evil and so forth? It seems like a really odd occupation.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Quote:What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?
They're awesome and I wish they were real.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Superstitious nonsense at its finest.
25-11-2015, 12:47 PM
(24-11-2015 06:09 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I think a lot of us have had weird "ghostly" experiences, things that have happened to us that are just not explainable. What are your views on this? How do you wrap your head around this?
I'm asking this because I am genuinely curious and I would love to gain some knowledge about something I don't quite know about.
You need to keep in mind that you are constantly moving.

Earth is spinning on its axis, that's why we have night and day. If you were standing at the equator you would be moving at 1,600 km/hour as the Earth spins. You don't feel it though because everything around you is also moving at pretty close to that speed. What makes you move along with the Earth is friction. Your feet on the ground, your body in the air. All these environmental things are pushing your body and accelerating you so that you too spin around as the Earth spins.

If a ghost is immaterial, it feels no friction, its environment does not contribute to it moving at the speed the Earth is spinning. So by what mechanism can it stay in one spot?

The reason why you don't fall to the center of the Earth is because the ground stops you. Spacetime in the presence of Earth's mass means that the "straight" path should take you directly to the Earth's center. But because you can't pass through the ground, the Earth's surface exerts a force on you, which accelerates you away from the Earth's center, basically you are stuck on the Earth's surface.

But a ghost would accelerate at 9.8 m/s^2 until it reached the Earth's center, then it would pass right through and decelerate at 9.8 m/s^2 until it reached the Earth's surface at the other side of the Earth, then it would accelerate back towards the Earth's surface. It would oscillate like this forever.

However, Earth is traveling in an ellipse around the sun, it travels at a speed of 30 km/s.

Can you see how difficult it would be for a ghost to remain at a point on the Earth's surface?

Other questions:
What is a ghost made of?
How does a ghost get energy?
How does a ghost keep its shape?

So how do we explain "weird "ghostly" experiences", the best answer is "the human imagination".
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
25-11-2015, 12:52 PM
(25-11-2015 08:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  Would be fun, no evidence.

*Why* would demons run around being evil and so forth? It seems like a really odd occupation.
They do it to tempt you away from god. They are actually testing you. It is their job, they are minions of god Evil_monster. God pays them with hundreds of virgins Drooling
25-11-2015, 12:52 PM
I would love it if this stuff were real. But unfortunately it just isn't.

Here are some thoughts.

-What evidence is there that this otherworldly stuff exists?
-Why after the invention of film has there not once been supernatural/paranormal activity captured legitimately on film?
-Why would these entities go around acting creepy and scaring others for no particular reason? (Seriously this bugs me in horror films when the ghosts n crap just are creepy for the sake of being creepy).
-Does it seem more likely that a magical creature that can't be explained by any form of knowledge that humans have obtained has interacted with you? Or that you heard a sound/saw something you couldn't explain/discern, or your body felt a sensation you can't explain?
-What reason is there to believe that consciousness, intent, or malice can exist in a non-physical form?

My take on people who believe they have experienced these things is that they experienced *something* and interpreted it as a paranormal experience. Sounds and other sensations can easily be misconstrued and since we as a culture already have this idea of ghosts and such the blame gets misplaced. Really, it's just a form of giving up on trying to find the answer and instead accepting "magic" as the answer. Very similar to religion Consider

Also, the brain can't always be trusted. E.G. Just because you hear voices doesn't mean a demon is talking to you.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
25-11-2015, 01:07 PM
(25-11-2015 12:47 PM)Stevil Wrote:  What is a ghost made of?

Cheerios.

(25-11-2015 12:47 PM)Stevil Wrote:  How does a ghost get energy?

Redbulls

(25-11-2015 12:47 PM)Stevil Wrote:  How does a ghost keep its shape?

Weight-watchers.

Plus the earth is moving around the sun, the sun is moving in the galactic plane, and the galaxy is spinning as well as moving through the CBR ... so we are really going
https://astrosociety.org/edu/publication...ast.html#9
This makes my ass tired.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-11-2015, 01:33 PM
(25-11-2015 01:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This makes my ass tired.

That's what He said. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-11-2015, 01:49 PM
I wish I could find a good incubus Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi