What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 06:21 PM
RE: What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?
I had an experience when as an adult that I can't explain.

We were driving down the road out in the country, I was looking at the old houses as we passed by, I like old houses. Anyway as we drove past one house that had a huge front porch there was a man hanging from the neck from the porch. I was so upset I made him stop and go back which wasn't too far. But there was no sign at all of this guy anywhere and the house was empty. I didn't know know that when I first saw it.
I blew it off as my mind playing tricks or something but then I found an article about a man that humg himself off that porch. I had no idea. Not gonna lie it freaked me out a little .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2015, 04:36 PM
(24-11-2015 06:09 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  So the other night I was watching The Conjuring and it got me thinking about possession and ghosts. The Conjuring is supposed to be based off true events and apparently that house is notorious for wicked things happening there. Apparently every time someone moves in something crazy or unexplained has happened, people go crazy and there are things that happen that they can't explain.
I'm what would you call a newbie to free thinking, I left my faith behind a few months ago so I still don't have 'opinions' on possession and ghosts. Now of course atheists don't believe in demons because then that would be hinting that there is a deity. But, what are your opinions on this? I think a lot of us have had weird "ghostly" experiences, things that have happened to us that are just not explainable. What are your views on this? How do you wrap your head around this?
I'm asking this because I am genuinely curious and I would love to gain some knowledge about something I don't quite know about.

I can't remember which "psychic" it was. But The Amazing Randy had told a story we're he went to the Amenity Ville Horror house. Him and this woman we're taking the car ride over to the building and on the way she was sweeting and saying she was getting sensations. When they got out of the car she started screaming and convulsing shouting "Theirs so much death here!" "Evil EVIL!" they then found out from their driver that they had in fact drove up to the wrong house and the amenity house was 2 blocks down the road. Where she picked herself up and got back in the car. Randy then stated If that's what she acted like at this house I wonder how bad the Amenity Vile house is?

I highly recommend him when you want to take a more skeptical view on the subject. He catch's charlatans all the time.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
02-12-2015, 04:49 PM
(02-12-2015 04:36 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  the Amenity Ville Horror house.

*Amityville (just helping)
02-12-2015, 05:02 PM
My reaction?

Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2015, 12:23 PM
The Salem witches were later posthumously pardoned. As it turned out they were women who had become infected with ergots.

Ergotism is a little known condition relating to a fungus which infests rye. It was later developed into LSD and some other drugs which are still in use. Interestingly, LSD was used to treat alcoholism succesfully, except for side effects which were considered unacceptable for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism#S...ccusations
04-12-2015, 12:05 AM
(03-12-2015 12:23 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  The Salem witches were later posthumously pardoned. As it turned out they were women who had become infected with ergots.

Ergotism is a little known condition relating to a fungus which infests rye. It was later developed into LSD and some other drugs which are still in use. Interestingly, LSD was used to treat alcoholism succesfully, except for side effects which were considered unacceptable for some reason.

I'll be! You said something sensible for once, *and* provided a citation, and it was actually interesting. The ergot theory isn't universally accepted though.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-12-2015, 12:36 AM
(04-12-2015 12:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 12:23 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  The Salem witches were later posthumously pardoned. As it turned out they were women who had become infected with ergots.

I'll be! You said something sensible for once, *and* provided a citation, and it was actually interesting. The ergot theory isn't universally accepted though.

I've heard it's more accepted for other outrageous religious rioting like some religious commune craziness that spawned in the decades following Martin Luther's reformation.

Thought Salem it's a bit of a stretch though, there's just as likely, if not moreso, likely that there was nothing effecting the people or girls in town other than spreading rumors to protect themselves and order, with a hyperly out of control system of using dream like testimony as legitimate.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
04-12-2015, 02:59 AM

One does not "become infected with ergots". Facepalm

One becomes affected by ingesting the alkaloids produced by food contaminated by ergot.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-12-2015, 02:17 PM
(24-11-2015 06:09 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  So the other night I was watching The Conjuring and it got me thinking about possession and ghosts. The Conjuring is supposed to be based off true events and apparently that house is notorious for wicked things happening there. Apparently every time someone moves in something crazy or unexplained has happened, people go crazy and there are things that happen that they can't explain.
I'm what would you call a newbie to free thinking, I left my faith behind a few months ago so I still don't have 'opinions' on possession and ghosts. Now of course atheists don't believe in demons because then that would be hinting that there is a deity. But, what are your opinions on this? I think a lot of us have had weird "ghostly" experiences, things that have happened to us that are just not explainable. What are your views on this? How do you wrap your head around this?
I'm asking this because I am genuinely curious and I would love to gain some knowledge about something I don't quite know about.

I am not a neurologist, psychiatrist, or psychologist so I can not explain hallucinogenic episodes by the human brain with any degree of validity. I will just presume it is all BS, and people see what they believe in.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
05-12-2015, 12:23 AM
(04-12-2015 02:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  

One does not "become infected with ergots". Facepalm

One becomes affected by ingesting the alkaloids produced by food contaminated by ergot.

Facepalm Yes, Chas, you do. It blows in the wind and you breath it in. So what dictionary shall we look in to find an appropriate word, oh retentive one?
Bowing