What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2015, 12:29 AM
RE: What are your views on Demonic Possession and Ghosts/Spirits?
The senseof possession comes from a neurological origin.

There is now a lot of research particularly at Rutgers, into the amygdala http://parelab.rutgers.edu/research.html
This is key to understanding how we think and how we process emotions. The amygdala is, I would say, the most significant part of the brain in our cognitive experience.

All activity in the brain and all information received from the body via the nervous system has to be processed centrally and this is effected by the amygdala. If this part of the brain is not working properly then this gives rise to a whole host of problems. One can, for instance, think that one is experiencing an external event, but if the amygdala is not analyzed, at that point, you cannot say where this impression comes from. It's like a central processing unit and it can fool us, if it isn't working properly, that an internal thought is emanating from outside us.

There is some interesting stuff on Zen and the amygdala http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gues...our-brain/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2015, 01:03 AM
(04-12-2015 12:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 12:23 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  The Salem witches were later posthumously pardoned. As it turned out they were women who had become infected with ergots.

Ergotism is a little known condition relating to a fungus which infests rye. It was later developed into LSD and some other drugs which are still in use. Interestingly, LSD was used to treat alcoholism succesfully, except for side effects which were considered unacceptable for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism#S...ccusations

I'll be! You said something sensible for once, *and* provided a citation, and it was actually interesting. The ergot theory isn't universally accepted though.

Thanks.

I would have hoped that most people on this forum had some sense that almost everything I post is pondering.

If I say, "I saw god last night" it means I saw a star constellation which I associate with what on one theory could be the Hyksos/Hebrew sky god, Hyk or Orion/Horus. I find this amusing. Whether anyone else does, I really don't care and if they want to post insults, that just shows that they 1. don't get my sense of humour and 2. take themselves too seriously...imo.

I do understand that the ergot theory is not universally accepted. Ergotism is well known however. Ergots were developed into LSD by Albert Hoffman at Sandoz labs and has seen success in alcohol treatment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysergic_a...peutic_use

Chas: To be frank, when I get someone posting that ergots don't "infect" a body combined with a face slap, I just despair. I am interested in medicine and treatments for serious illnesses and that is what interests me about ergots. Then we have someone making an anally retentive comment about the use of a word to show they are clever. What are they interested in other than their own bloated egos.

Ergots "infect" rye. When ingested in humans they cause "poisoning". There, what has that accomplished? So, Chas, if you think I used the wrong word, then correct it. Otherwise, piss off.
05-12-2015, 01:20 AM
never heard of an atheist getting demon possessed or Bill nye seeing ghosts. So I don't think they exist.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
05-12-2015, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 01:41 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
I'm of the opinion that the power of suggestion is one of the most powerful aspects of human psychology, and that there is any number of things we can fool ourselves into believing if our guard is down.

05-12-2015, 08:56 AM
(05-12-2015 12:23 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 02:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  One does not "become infected with ergots". Facepalm

One becomes affected by ingesting the alkaloids produced by food contaminated by ergot.

Facepalm Yes, Chas, you do. It blows in the wind and you breath it in. So what dictionary shall we look in to find an appropriate word, oh retentive one?
Bowing

You apparently don't understand the word 'infected', oh ignorant one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2015, 08:59 AM
(05-12-2015 01:03 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Chas: To be frank, when I get someone posting that ergots don't "infect" a body combined with a face slap, I just despair. I am interested in medicine and treatments for serious illnesses and that is what interests me about ergots. Then we have someone making an anally retentive comment about the use of a word to show they are clever. What are they interested in other than their own bloated egos.

Ergots "infect" rye. When ingested in humans they cause "poisoning". There, what has that accomplished? So, Chas, if you think I used the wrong word, then correct it. Otherwise, piss off.

Using accurate language aids communication. Using inappropriate and incorrect words does the opposite.

If you want to be understood, choose your words more carefully.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user