What are your views on monogamy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2017, 09:56 AM
What are your views on monogamy?
I'd like to hear your views on monogamy and open relationships. I've been reflecting a lot about this topic recently. What are your preferences? If you have open relationships with people, tell me about how you transitioned from the traditional mindset about sex and relationships to a more open mindset.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
19-04-2017, 10:01 AM
RE: What are your views on monogamy?
(19-04-2017 09:56 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I'd like to hear your views on monogamy and open relationships.

Since I am an introvert, even one relationship is almost too much.

Undecided
[+] 13 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-04-2017, 10:05 AM
(19-04-2017 10:01 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 09:56 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I'd like to hear your views on monogamy and open relationships.

Since I am an introvert, even one relationship is almost too much.

Undecided

I definitely understand!

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
19-04-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm a one person kid of guy.

I "get" how you could freely see people, but I don't think I could genuinely hack it. For me one person is enough work, let alone more than one Big Grin Seriously though, I know open relationships are not for me, but I prefer to be in a committed relationship.

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick
19-04-2017, 10:19 AM
(19-04-2017 10:06 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I'm a one person kid of guy.

I "get" how you could freely see people, but I don't think I could genuinely hack it. For me one person is enough work, let alone more than one Big Grin Seriously though, I know open relationships are not for me, but I prefer to be in a committed relationship.

I think all relationships take work. For some people, it may be more work to be monogamous. Maybe "open" doesn't have to mean "multiple close and heartfelt relationships", but instead be simply flirting. Maybe there's a scale for relationships ranging from strict monogamy to "no rules" polyamory.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
19-04-2017, 10:26 AM
So, polygamy...

Would I do it? Probably not. I'm not really that adventurous and it sounds way to complicated to wrap my own head around.

Do I support it? My views of what another decides to do in the bedroom (with consenting and adult partners) is their own choice. I've never really discriminated against any kind of relationship that wasn't within those standards. In my mind you should do what makes you happy and if happiness isn't 100% socially acceptable (within the limits, of course) then screw social standards and be happy!

But yeah, so long as everyone in the relationship knows that it's open I see nothing wrong with it. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
19-04-2017, 10:33 AM
I would prefer to be single, to fuck and be fucked without expectation of being "the one" or belonging to someone. That's the only way I could see it work for me. Maybe others would be different.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
19-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Here is the deal: I think of relationships like I think of life. I treat people how I want to be treated, at least I try to do that. Same with relationships, I can only expect what I accept. So, I wouldn't want my wife sleeping around so I don't want to either. I'm anything but hypocritical. I enjoy knowing we have picked each other and are loyal and faithful. It's so much more rewarding to me than spleeping around for my ego.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
19-04-2017, 10:42 AM
(19-04-2017 10:26 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  So, polygamy...

Would I do it? Probably not.

Technically, if you're a straight female, polyandry might be more fitting.

Why is polygamy acceptable here in Malaysia yet polyandry is not?
Because women have more sense, that's why!

Anyway, monogamy (from google: the practice or state of having a sexual relationship with only one [female, to be etymologically precise] partner) would be an example of a strategic relationship.

Which means, shared vision, shared goals, shared financial information, etc.

Ain't got time for that.

Girl_nails

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-04-2017, 10:43 AM
(19-04-2017 10:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  I would prefer to be single, to fuck and be fucked without expectation of being "the one" or belonging to someone. That's the only way I could see it work for me. Maybe others would be different.

I can understand that. Me and my husband are currently figuring out what we think about these things. I'm really just curious as to how much of my views about romance and sex are directly influenced by my religious upbringing and traditions. I definitely don't believe in "the one" even though I love my husband very much- I don't believe in destiny.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like LadyWallFlower's post