What are your views on monogamy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2017, 11:45 AM
RE: What are your views on monogamy?
(25-06-2017 11:43 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-06-2017 11:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Steve Wozniak feeds his dogs filet mignon in the hopes that the robot overlords will take notice and treat us like pampered pets. Sounds as good a plan as any. Thumbsup

One can only hope they judge us by his example, and say, not how we treat literally anything else; including but not limited to factory farmed animals, glacial ice caps, the working poor, sex education, nations filled with brown people, our infrastructure, and mimes.

And that is precisely what has Elon "I'm Batman" Musk so worried.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-06-2017, 12:48 AM
(25-05-2017 11:12 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  As far as a mutually agreed upon open relationship, I don't think that would work for either of us. Not that we are particularly jealous people, I just think it would ultimately create its own baggage that would cause problems.
The number one issue reported by those engaging in polyamory is jealousy. For that reason alone, even for a high-energy extrovert with agreeable partners, I don't see polyamorous relationships as practical. There are other reasons, of course, such as complicated and largely unmaintainable personal boundaries, legal difficulties in terms of who is responsible for nurturing children and who inherits what, etc.

I'd be unsurprised to find that if we could analyze all persons who have ever engaged in true polyamory, it would turn out that it was a passing phase and eventual failed experiment -- and certainly never lifelong with the same group of lovers.

I suppose that certain very limited variations sort of work, like the French system of an official wife with a lover on the side that everyone knows about but doesn't discuss, with maybe the wife having a lover of her own on the side. I can see how divorcing child bearing and rearing from recreational sex could maybe work for some, particularly when it's culturally accepted and supported. It is not something I could personally be on board with, I am too much the romantic idealist there.
27-06-2017, 12:59 AM
On second thought, I do have one issue with it. Diamonds are stupid. As are expensive weddings.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
27-06-2017, 02:42 AM
(27-06-2017 12:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  On second thought, I do have one issue with it. Diamonds are stupid. As are expensive weddings.

THIS

My wedding ring cost £15 and is made of titanium. My wifes wedding ring cost about £100 altogether, [nothing in terms wedding rings these days] and only recently did her engagement ring actually cost me money lol. It cost £50 originally, but the stone fell out, so we've had it replaced/polished/etc and that in itself is costing me £500 lol. It's now worth alot more...but it's money I don't have.

IF you're getting married, go to the local town hall/get some cheap rings then hit the pub/bar afterwards. It's about what it means not the amount of money you spend on the day.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
27-06-2017, 07:40 AM
(27-06-2017 02:42 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 12:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  On second thought, I do have one issue with it. Diamonds are stupid. As are expensive weddings.

THIS

My wedding ring cost £15 and is made of titanium. My wifes wedding ring cost about £100 altogether, [nothing in terms wedding rings these days] and only recently did her engagement ring actually cost me money lol. It cost £50 originally, but the stone fell out, so we've had it replaced/polished/etc and that in itself is costing me £500 lol. It's now worth alot more...but it's money I don't have.

IF you're getting married, go to the local town hall/get some cheap rings then hit the pub/bar afterwards. It's about what it means not the amount of money you spend on the day.

I definitely agree the wedding industry is insane with expensive rings. My bf told me I could pick out anything I wanted, but I just don't believe in spending a ton on an engagement ring. My engagement ring is a vintage emerald surrounded by diamonds. It cost 240 bucks. He jokes and says he got off easy Laugh out load

Granted, my ring is sitting in a box on my dresser while we work on things, but that's the ring I picked out. I would have been happy with a simple band, but my bf was not having it since he was worried what my mom and other people would think at just a simple band. It's ridiculous the amount of pressure society puts on guys to get an expensive ring. I do like the idea of a ring though, it symbolizes your love, friendship, loyalty, and commitment to each other. I honestly would have been happy with an Outlander-style (like Claire's from the tv show) wedding band like this one: (It's a Scottish Thistle band).

[Image: 7611ab0366c519f7bd2bd2b86f0a43fc--outlan...r-book.jpg]

[Image: $_1.JPG]

I also would have been happy with a Claddagh ring...

[Image: Claddagh-Ring-RS671-BB2.jpg]

...But I also want to get married in the woods Braveheart style and live on a houseboat in Yellowknife Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
27-06-2017, 07:56 AM
(27-06-2017 07:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ...But I also want to get married in the woods Braveheart style and live on a houseboat in Yellowknife Tongue

I've spent some time in Yellowknife.

You do realize, don't you, that winter there lasts about 8months, right?

Yellowknife topped 13 categories
  • Coldest winter
  • Coldest spring
  • Coldest year round
  • Most cold days
  • Most hot and cold days
  • Longest snow cover season
  • Most deep snow cover days
  • Sunniest summer
  • Sunniest spring
  • Most heating degree days
  • Extreme windchill
  • Most high windchill days (-30 or less)
  • Driest winter Air
I'm not saying "don't go," just saying that if you do, know what you're getting in to.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
27-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Yellowknife looks like such an awesome place, I got the Mrs on board to visit there one day Smile (thanks for showing me that in the other thread Jenny!)

But yeah, it's about the symbolism and meaning of the ring+wedding than what actually transpires/who see's it/how much it costs.

My wedding all in all (for the church, rings, wedding dress, reception party) cost £2000. My uncle got married a year later and spent....*drum roll*...£30,000 on his. I honestly don't know what on.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
27-06-2017, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 08:27 AM by jennybee.)
(27-06-2017 07:56 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 07:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ...But I also want to get married in the woods Braveheart style and live on a houseboat in Yellowknife Tongue

I've spent some time in Yellowknife.

You do realize, don't you, that winter there lasts about 8months, right?

Yellowknife topped 13 categories
  • Coldest winter
  • Coldest spring
  • Coldest year round
  • Most cold days
  • Most hot and cold days
  • Longest snow cover season
  • Most deep snow cover days
  • Sunniest summer
  • Sunniest spring
  • Most heating degree days
  • Extreme windchill
  • Most high windchill days (-30 or less)
  • Driest winter Air
I'm not saying "don't go," just saying that if you do, know what you're getting in to.

I do. That's part of the draw for me (otherwise, I'd just buy a houseboat in Sausalito). I like adventure and I want it in my backyard. That said, I'm planning on taking several trips there before up and buying a houseboat Laugh out load It just interests me immensely. Also, I have the problem of my land bound California loving boyfriend which puts a damper on things. Tongue It's just a dream lifestyle for me and if my bf was for it, I'd get the wheels in motion now. I'm still planning on making a trip (even if it's by myself Dodgy Tongue) just for fun to visit. There's a b&b there (Mo's Houseboat B&B)-I don't know if you've seen it in your travels there? Anyway, that's where I'm planning on staying when I go.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-06-2017, 08:12 AM
I picked out a beautiful engagement ring/wedding band combination for my wife. It was a bit over $1,000. She doesn't care about the price, and neither do it. I picked it out from a local jeweler and fell in love with it immediately. I knew it was in line with her style, and I knew she'd like it.

My first ring was a titanium band with a Sapphire jewel set inside and our names and wedding date inscribed inside the band. It was maybe $50- I don't really remember. I still have it on my key chain. My new wedding ring is a silver ring with our new names next to our birth stones and the date inscribed inside (her's is Sapphire and mine is Amethyst). It was a little over $100. I love it. The original was big and bulky and the new one is much prettier and nicer on my finger.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
27-06-2017, 08:28 AM
(27-06-2017 08:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I do. That's part of the draw for me. I like adventure and I want it in my backyard. That said, I'm planning on taking several trips there before up and buying a houseboat Laugh out load It just interests me immensely. Also, I have the problem of my land bound California loving boyfriend which puts a damper on things. Tongue It's just a dream lifestyle for me and if my bf was for it, I'd get the wheels in motion now. I'm still planning on making a trip (even if it's by myself Dodgy Tongue) just for fun to visit. There's a b&b there (Mo's Houseboat B&B)-I don't know if you've seen it in your travels there? Anyway, that's where I'm planning on staying when I go.

Yellowknife looks lovely, the Aurora Borealis instantly sold me on the place, no matter how cold it is/long the winters are.

If you ever make the move let me know and I'll do a visit Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post