What are your views on monogamy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2017, 08:31 AM
RE: What are your views on monogamy?
(27-06-2017 08:28 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 08:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I do. That's part of the draw for me. I like adventure and I want it in my backyard. That said, I'm planning on taking several trips there before up and buying a houseboat Laugh out load It just interests me immensely. Also, I have the problem of my land bound California loving boyfriend which puts a damper on things. Tongue It's just a dream lifestyle for me and if my bf was for it, I'd get the wheels in motion now. I'm still planning on making a trip (even if it's by myself Dodgy Tongue) just for fun to visit. There's a b&b there (Mo's Houseboat B&B)-I don't know if you've seen it in your travels there? Anyway, that's where I'm planning on staying when I go.

Yellowknife looks lovely, the Aurora Borealis instantly sold me on the place, no matter how cold it is/long the winters are.

If you ever make the move let me know and I'll do a visit Big Grin

I will for sure Smile I have a feeling, given how my bf feels about it, that I'd be living there alone with my cat. Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Different stages in life are for different views on this.

Personally, I was about as anti- and non-monogamous as was possible during my younger years. Sowed a LOT of "wild oats" (safely) when I was a young buck and don't regret one bit of it.

Things are different now. I'm very happy with my SO and, while we're unlikely to get married (neither of us are interested in the complications that marriage brings, especially when dealing with mixed families, mixing finances, etc) , I have no need or desire to be intimately involved with anyone else.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
27-06-2017, 08:38 AM
(27-06-2017 08:34 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I have no need or desire to be intimately involved with anyone else.

This is basically the ultimate "goal" in a relationship for me. I know of a few guys who have girlfriends/partners/wives etc, and happily cheat on them all the time, and all I can ever say is "what is the point of having a partner then?". If people want to be single and do that whole thing, then cool have at it, but to say to a person "I'm yours" then not commit, surely that says something about the person you've picked to be wife OR yourself for that matter.

I met my wife at age 18, and from that moment on I've never once "desired" another women in the way I desire her. No such thing as soul mates, and it might not last forever, but for now and hopefully the foreseeable future she's the one for me Smile

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
27-06-2017, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 08:59 AM by OakTree500.)
(27-06-2017 08:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 08:28 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Yellowknife looks lovely, the Aurora Borealis instantly sold me on the place, no matter how cold it is/long the winters are.

If you ever make the move let me know and I'll do a visit Big Grin

I will for sure Smile I have a feeling, given how my bf feels about it, that I'd be living there alone with my cat. Laugh out load
LOL Laugh out load

Well it'd be his loss, and you've have people queuing outside your houseboat in the -30 to take you out I expect Thumbsup

[Image: queue-of-people-waiting-in-a-zigzag-line-D281CK.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
27-06-2017, 09:14 AM
(27-06-2017 08:38 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 08:34 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I have no need or desire to be intimately involved with anyone else.

I met my wife at age 18, and from that moment on I've never once "desired" another women in the way I desire her. No such thing as soul mates, and it might not last forever, but for now and hopefully the foreseeable future she's the one for me Smile

Aw *swoon* Heart

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
27-06-2017, 09:16 AM
(27-06-2017 08:42 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 08:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I will for sure Smile I have a feeling, given how my bf feels about it, that I'd be living there alone with my cat. Laugh out load
LOL Laugh out load

Well it'd be his loss, and you've have people queuing outside your houseboat in the -30 to take you out I expect Thumbsup

[Image: queue-of-people-waiting-in-a-zigzag-line-D281CK.jpg]

Well, let's hope they like cats Tongue

...and thank you Smile

27-06-2017, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 09:32 AM by jennybee.)
For me, I am a monogamy girl. I think if you find someone who is your lover and your best friend, for me, there's no need to look any further. I think going on adventures together, doing little romantic things, trying to look your best for each other, and saying playful things to each other like "You look so sexy today" helps keep the spark going.

I also think you need some similar interests in a rship--or at least someone who is willing to try some of the things you enjoy doing and vice versa. I think it can be hard when one person is adventurous and the other person is not, at least this causes some issues in my current rship. Luckily, we have other interests that keep us going--like the symphony, plays, ballet, art museums, going out to eat and trying new and different foods and animal rights causes.

27-06-2017, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 09:59 AM by OakTree500.)
(27-06-2017 09:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I also think you need some similar interests in a rship--or at least someone who is willing to try some of the things you enjoy doing and vice versa. I think it can be hard when one person is adventurous and the other person is not, at least this causes some issues in my current rship. Luckily, we have other interests that keep us going--like the symphony, plays, ballet, art museums, going out to eat and trying new and different foods and animal rights causes.

I would say the only "negative" to my relationship is this, we share very little in common other than our general attitude to life. IE, different tastes in Music, likes/dislikes, movies and so on. At first it wasn't a big deal but in the past couple of years it's really annoyed me at times.

Overall it's not a deal breaker, as I'm normally the one to compromise as I like trying new things, even things I don't initially "like" from the first thought. More recently it's just TV stuff, like I watch a lot of comedy related stuff, that Mrs Oaktree doesn't find funny, so I can't watch it when she's home....which is all the time lol. I used to watch a lot of super hero related shows, but same thing there as well, so I don't watch them any more. More recently it's been Pro Wrestling, which I admit isn't exactly cool, but it's what I like and always have, yet I can't watch that either and end up watching highlights on my phone when she's not about. But if she wants to watch whatever she wants, I have to sit there and watch it, like I'm not allowed to do anything else lol.

The most recent one was her trying to tell me what I can and cannot do,[In this case I was told I wasn't allowed to go out with my dad for a drink], which is new after 11 years lol. I quickly shut that shit down. I'm not an argumentative guy, and I've 100% never told her she can/can't do anything, letting her do whatever she likes, whenever she wants, so that pissed me off a wee bit.

Double standards in some area's, but again not a deal breaker or anything like that, just a mild annoyance when otherwise everything else is pretty good. Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
27-06-2017, 09:59 AM
(27-06-2017 09:52 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 09:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I also think you need some similar interests in a rship--or at least someone who is willing to try some of the things you enjoy doing and vice versa. I think it can be hard when one person is adventurous and the other person is not, at least this causes some issues in my current rship. Luckily, we have other interests that keep us going--like the symphony, plays, ballet, art museums, going out to eat and trying new and different foods and animal rights causes.

I would say the only "negative" to my relationship is this, we share very little in common other than our general attitude to life in general. IE, different tastes in Music, likes/dislikes, movies and so on. At first it wasn't a big deal but in the past couple of years it's really annoyed me at times.

Overall it's not a deal breaker, as I'm normally the one to compromise as I like trying new things, even things I don't initially "like" from the first thought. More recently it's just TV stuff, like watch a lot of comedy related stuff, that Mrs Oaktree doesn't find funny, so I can't watch it when she's home....which is all the time lol. I used to watch a lot of super hero related shows, but same thing there as well, so I don't watch them any more. More recently it's been Pro Wrestling, which I admit isn't exactly cool, but it's what I like and always have, yet I can't watch that either and end up watching highlights on my phone when she's not about. But if she wants to watch whatever she wants, I have to sit there and watch it, like I'm not allowed to do anything else lol.

The most recent one was her trying to tell me what I can and cannot do, which is new after 11 years lol. I quickly shut that shit down. I'm not an argumentative guy, and I've 100% never told her she can/can't do anything, letting her do whatever she likes, whenever she wants, so that pissed me off a wee bit.

Double standards in some area's, but again not a deal breaker or anything like that, just a mild annoyance when otherwise everything else is pretty good. Laugh out load

Yeah, I don't like people telling me what to do--in rships or otherwise. My bf's a little older than me and he tried to do that on a few occasions, but he quickly realized that got him nowhere Drinking Beverage

Luckily, we have similar taste in music and he's also a fan of The Walking Dead (which is really the only show I watch right now--other than Fear the Walking Dead Big Grin ) He's not a fan of horror movies in general--which I love, so I usually end up watching those with my cat Tongue

I'm really thinking I need to marry my cat Hobo Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-06-2017, 10:00 AM
(27-06-2017 09:59 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 09:52 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I would say the only "negative" to my relationship is this, we share very little in common other than our general attitude to life in general. IE, different tastes in Music, likes/dislikes, movies and so on. At first it wasn't a big deal but in the past couple of years it's really annoyed me at times.

Overall it's not a deal breaker, as I'm normally the one to compromise as I like trying new things, even things I don't initially "like" from the first thought. More recently it's just TV stuff, like watch a lot of comedy related stuff, that Mrs Oaktree doesn't find funny, so I can't watch it when she's home....which is all the time lol. I used to watch a lot of super hero related shows, but same thing there as well, so I don't watch them any more. More recently it's been Pro Wrestling, which I admit isn't exactly cool, but it's what I like and always have, yet I can't watch that either and end up watching highlights on my phone when she's not about. But if she wants to watch whatever she wants, I have to sit there and watch it, like I'm not allowed to do anything else lol.

The most recent one was her trying to tell me what I can and cannot do, which is new after 11 years lol. I quickly shut that shit down. I'm not an argumentative guy, and I've 100% never told her she can/can't do anything, letting her do whatever she likes, whenever she wants, so that pissed me off a wee bit.

Yeah, I don't like people telling me what to do--in rships or otherwise. My bf's a little older than me and he tried to do that on a few occasions, but he quickly realized that got him nowhere Drinking Beverage

Luckily, we have similar taste in music and he's also a fan of The Walking Dead (which is really the only show I watch right now--other than Fear the Walking Dead Big Grin ) He's not a fan of horror movies in general--which I love, so I usually end up watching those with my cat Tongue

I'm really thinking I need to marry my cat Hobo Laugh out load
HA, well do it in secret and don't tell anybody, as it'll be all over the newspapers
Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post