What are your views on monogamy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2017, 03:25 PM
What are your views on monogamy?
(20-04-2017 09:16 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Nor have I seen an example of someone who hasn't/wouldn't cheat.

I've never cheated. I've had plenty of opportunities but I've never done it. Ain't worth it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post
20-04-2017, 03:39 PM
RE: What are your views on monogamy?
(20-04-2017 03:25 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 09:16 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Nor have I seen an example of someone who hasn't/wouldn't cheat.

I've never cheated. I've had plenty of opportunities but I've never done it. Ain't worth it.
Me, too.
Married 30 years in July, never even gone to a strip club in that time. And i've been in foreign ports for extended periods.
[+] 4 users Like Missiletowe's post
20-04-2017, 05:25 PM
(20-04-2017 09:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a man of ... never mind. Sex is kinda icky and messy and gross. It's kind of like when I'm taking a shit, the fewer people exposed to it the better for the sake of humanity. Was it Grassy Tyson who said something like God put an amusement park in the middle of a sewer system?

I love sex... prolly more than is healthy. Yet I still wouldn't cheat. However there's a few things to that. While I'm pretty sure you're being honest with me.

1. It's hard to take someones word for it, I've seen many women pretend they don't cheat and then watch them do it, behind their partners backs (Both my exes and people I thought were friends, but I don't keep friends that cheat in their relationships. Guy or girl). Whenever someone makes an awful blanket statement like mine (and I think far worse things than I'm willing to say publicly, not because I'm evil or bad, but because I've been betrayed and hurt so many times) Everyone around wants to say "Look at me I'm a shining example of someone who doesn't do that" Such evidence at best is anecdotal, but in my experience is also highly likely to be a lie. Also I'm mostly referring to my generation, from what I can tell older generations were slightly more honest and loyal in relationships on average.

Something came up, I was prolly gonna say more.... but now I'm in a good mood so I just don't care anymore lol Smile (I GOT A TRUCK, which might be better than a girlfriend tbh)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
20-04-2017, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2017 09:53 AM by RearViewMirror.)
I kind of just thought of something about being in a monogamous relationship. As I mentioned in an earlier post my wife and I have been married for 17 years now. We've shared so much of our life together and when we do have sex sometimes it's great (amazing even), sometimes it's just satisfying one or the other (mostly me if I'm honest), but the best is when it's just funny. When something happens that is unexpected such as "oh shit... cramp in my leg" "who farted? (always blame the cat)" "we're going to have to switch positions my back is killing me". Shit like that. When we can laugh at each other and not worry about trying to impress, which let's face it, after 17 yrs she's seen it all. That is when it's great, funny, and you can't buy that type of intimacy. That's earned.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 5 users Like RearViewMirror's post
20-04-2017, 07:41 PM
(20-04-2017 07:32 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I kind of just thought of something about being in a monogamous relationship. As I mentioned in an earlier post my wife and I have been married for 17 years now. We've shared so much of our life together and when we do have sex sometimes it's great (amazing even), sometimes it's just satisfying one or the other (mostly me if I'm honest), but the best is when it's just funny. When something happens that is unexpected such as "oh shit... cramp in my leg" "who farted? (always blame the cat)" "we're going to have to switch positions my back is killing me". Shit like that. When we can laugh at each other it and not worry about trying to impress, which let's face it, after 17 yrs she's seen it all. That is when it's great, funny, and you can't buy that type of intimacy. That's earned.

I was only married for like 8 years, but I remember stuff like that. I agree if you can't smile, laugh and enjoy yourself you're doin something wrong.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
20-04-2017, 10:24 PM
I have never cheated on anyone. Ever. I feel sorry for those who do and those who can't believe no one does.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
20-04-2017, 11:01 PM
I was once offered sex and refused because she was married, even though I was single.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
20-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Ya see, I'm definitely no moral person. I could cheat, given the opportunity and the motivation. But if you know that's gonna hurt the person you love, why do it? Only circumstances in which I would, would be if there's zero chance of getting caught, which is kinda... there's no real possibility of that ever.

Still, I don't think people who cheat are these evil motherfuckers. They're just people being people - they fucked up.

Context of OP though, isn't cheating, it's "open relationship" - I don't think I could do that either. I just think jealousy is gonna happen. Jealousy is no fun. I've been jealous and the object of jealousy. It's a horrible feeling.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-04-2017, 11:37 PM
Yeah, it's really hard to know whether I'd actually like an open relationship or whether I just find the idea exciting. I feel like I could handle any jealousy involved, but I may be kidding myself.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
21-04-2017, 02:34 AM
A guy I used to work with was a serial cheater, and didn't care about it at all. He even had 3 phones. 3! One for his girlfriend, and another 2 for his affairs. All I could think of was "how much hard work is that?" lol. Like I'm sure there is a 'thrill' to thinking you're getting away with something, but man it must be hard to keep something that insane going permanently lol. Same dude later got married to his girlfriend, [Why? I have no idea], and still cheated on her. He was later found in the toilets at my workplace with a girl, who also worked there.

Just shocking in my mind, like why bother doing anything like getting married if you don't honour the commitment? And at very least, most weddings cost a lot of money....so if you're not going to commit, you're also throwing your money away as well lol. Never mind the impending divorce.

Also: not sure who mentioned something similar before - but I've only ever had 2 partners in the bedroom. One when I was 16, and was my first proper girlfriend. The Second is my wife, who I've been with since I was 18 Smile In hindsight, I wish I hadn't been with the first one, as we weren't together that long and she wasn't a very nice person.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post