What books can you recommend me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2013, 03:05 PM
What books can you recommend me?
Hello People,I'm new to the forum,so please bare with me if there were a simular topic already.
I admit that I was not browsing long now,but the threadtitle is just too catchy to me as an Austrian( we are a coffee driven country).

I like to read good books which can improve my arguements against any Religion and would like to hear some recommendations from you guys and your thoughts on these books.

Greetings from Austria x)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zekaiser's post
26-03-2013, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2013 05:42 PM by Jeffasaurus.)
RE: What books can you recommend me?
Although I have not read it, you should check out The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
If you run into anyone bitching about creation v. evolution, be sure to have read Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence For Evoltuion. It's quite comprehensive. For a quick reference, check out most any YouTube video with Dawkins, Christopher Hitchins, or even Neil deGrasse Tyson.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
26-03-2013, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:51 AM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 1 user Likes Doctor X's post
26-03-2013, 07:40 PM
"Letters From the Earth" - Mark Twain
Exerpt: (On the Bible) It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.

"Why I am Not a Christian" - Bertrand Russell

"An Atheist Critique of the Bible" - Brian Shuty aka Buddy Christ

"The Portable Atheist" - Christopher Hitchens

"Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments for God Don't Add Up" - John Allen Paulos

"A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies..." - Bartolome de las Casas
Excerpt: Before he was burned, a priest asked him if he would accept Jesus and go to heaven. Bartolomé de las Casas recalled the reaction of the chief:
[Hatuey], thinking a little, asked the religious man if Spaniards went to heaven. The
religious man answered yes. The chief then said without further thought that he
did not want to go there but to hell so as not to be where they were and where
he would not see such cruel people.

"Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" - Carl Sagan

"A Pen Warmen Up in Hell" - Mark Twain

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-03-2013, 07:54 PM
As usual, I have to wander around 'cause I can never remember where this list is! Anyway welcome, and this will get you started and then some.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Is it okay if they're youtube videos?

Historical books on the history of Christianity [from a scholarly standpoint] would help as well

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
26-03-2013, 08:59 PM
(26-03-2013 06:22 PM)Doctor X Wrote:  I guess it depends on what, exactly, you want to argue. For SCIENCE [!--Ed.] the recommendations by Jeffasaurus are great. I will also add Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy and Singh's The Big Bang to deal with the usual creatoid fallacious claims--"you tink it came from NOTHING! HAEVILATHEIST!"--the story of the priest who helped generate modern cosmological theory alone is fascinating.

If you wish to argue their respective religions, there are a number of good books on "what" for example is actually in the Bible and what it means.

If you wish to argue against the Religion of Gwineth Paltrow . . . well . . . Mila Kunis help you!!!

--J.D.
Gwyneth Paltrow. Heathen.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Thank you guys for the great list ! I will definitely read them ,they sound very intressting to me.

And thank you Anjele for the awesome link.You guys have brought me a big step forward!

best Greetings!