What books do you have around your computer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 07:20 AM
RE: What books do you have around your computer?
I keep a KJV bible, some Hume, Hitch, Dawkins, Origin of Species (although I've yet to find anyone that has an issue with it, who has actually read it).

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
09-08-2012, 07:31 AM
(08-08-2012 12:04 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 11:34 AM)elemts Wrote:  Neat collection of things there Smile What's metaphysics? I would search, but thought I'd ask instead.

Searching would have given you a better response, tbh.

Quote:"Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy concerned with explaining the fundamental nature of being and the world,[1] although the term is not easily defined.[2] Traditionally, metaphysics attempts to answer two basic questions in the broadest possible terms:
"What is there?"
"What is it like?"[3]"

The philosophy building at my university has 2 doors side-by-side leading to the same entrance. One is labelled "Morality" and the other is labelled "Metaphysics". Metaphysicists insist on using their door. Mainly, because they're cocks. Yes

Yeah. Nice collection there, Red.

Bill Hicks and Buddha on the same shelf... that's gotta mean something.

So are you Immoral if you use the Mataphysics door and Immaterial if you use the Morality door?
Is "philosophy building" like body-building for the mind?

09-08-2012, 09:11 AM
(09-08-2012 07:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yeah. Nice collection there, Red.

IMO Bill Hicks was a philosopher, which is why I keep that amongst the other books. The Buddha is a bit of a family heirloom. It was my grandmother's, originally... for aesthetic reasons rather than actual beliefs. I have a bit of a soft spot for Buddhists. When I visited Thailand, I actually felt a palpable difference being in a country that didn't have a history of the fire & brimstone of Revelations hanging over it. Or it might have been the beautiful women. One of the two.

(09-08-2012 07:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So are you Immoral if you use the Mataphysics door and Immaterial if you use the Morality door?

Heh. Silly arse.

It is how I described it... 2 doors side-by-side entering into the same lobby. The door I use is determined by the direction I approach the building (i.e. I take the nearest one). Metaphysicists always use their own door.

I have a vague interest in some aspects of metaphysics... but when it comes to the "what is there?" question, I prefer to rely on actual scientists. Sadly, metaphysics modules are mandatory, so I have to invest time in it.

I have a 30-40min commute to university. One time, I made that drive for a 1 hour tutorial about how an object is defined... e.g. do all of the components need to be touching? After that hour (which I spent thinking "who fucking cares?") I had the commute back. Not a happy bunny.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2012, 10:19 AM
The Bohquanita, the bible, and a History book from about 1910.

Under Repair.
09-08-2012, 08:34 PM
What books do you have around your computer?
(09-08-2012 10:19 AM)itsacow Wrote:  The Bohquanita, the bible, and a History book from about 1910.

Ok, have to ask: why do you have a History book from about 1910? Moo?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
(09-08-2012 09:11 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 07:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yeah. Nice collection there, Red.

IMO Bill Hicks was a philosopher, which is why I keep that amongst the other books. The Buddha is a bit of a family heirloom. It was my grandmother's, originally... for aesthetic reasons rather than actual beliefs. I have a bit of a soft spot for Buddhists. When I visited Thailand, I actually felt a palpable difference being in a country that didn't have a history of the fire & brimstone of Revelations hanging over it. Or it might have been the beautiful women. One of the two.

(09-08-2012 07:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So are you Immoral if you use the Mataphysics door and Immaterial if you use the Morality door?

Heh. Silly arse.

It is how I described it... 2 doors side-by-side entering into the same lobby. The door I use is determined by the direction I approach the building (i.e. I take the nearest one). Metaphysicists always use their own door.

I have a vague interest in some aspects of metaphysics... but when it comes to the "what is there?" question, I prefer to rely on actual scientists. Sadly, metaphysics modules are mandatory, so I have to invest time in it.

I have a 30-40min commute to university. One time, I made that drive for a 1 hour tutorial about how an object is defined... e.g. do all of the components need to be touching? After that hour (which I spent thinking "who fucking cares?") I had the commute back. Not a happy bunny.

Yup. I get palpable feelings whenever I go to Bangkok too.
[could everyone please form an orderly queue at the tradesman's entrance to deliver your punchlines]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-08-2012, 09:24 PM
(09-08-2012 09:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup. I get palpable feelings whenever I go to Bangkok too.
[could everyone please form an orderly queue at the tradesman's entrance to deliver your punchlines]

Too easy. Tease

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
10-08-2012, 05:42 AM
I have Hitchens - God is not Great -which I have had for a while and am finally getting around to reading.

Charlaine Harris - Dead Reckoning -also have had for a while but haven't read as I have been on a sewing binge lately.

The most recent issue of Skeptic magazine that I just subscribed to. A bunch of books on my Kindle that need my attention.

In about 10 days my textbooks for the new semester will join the list.

All other books are upstairs. Many still to be read, some read many times over.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-08-2012, 11:49 PM
I used to have an encyclopedia from 1943, I believe it only covered M. I kept it around, because truth gets distorted over time. I'll have to try to find it.
17-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Around the computer...

[Image: th_IMAG0500.jpg]

...fucking primitives. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post