What brane thinks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Lightbulb What brane thinks
In the beginning (age 3-11 or 12) I believed in TV. I could see, touch and hear the TV and to some degree before the stations went off air every night I could control which program to watch or wait for. I also believed in my father's belt.

After the beginning (age 12-14) I believed in Cable TV (mid to late 70s). Still believed in my father's belt.

At around age 13 I tried Church of Christ because my neighbors went. After I was baptized, I asked the "wrong" questions and soon lost interest. "If god wanted you to know that he would have told you or put it in the bible" and Father's belt.

Around age 14-15 I received some books about a cult known as ECKANKAR. The word cult here is my personal opinion, pretty sure they don't market as that. I believed in the ECK and its various hierarchies and mythologies until I was 26-27. I was 17 when I finally challenged my father's physical abuse and no longer had to believe in his belt.

Age 26-41 I read a great deal and believed in almost nothing, the closer to 41 the more liberating it was to just disbelieve in general.

Age 41-50 I studied and believed in Ho'oponopono via one of the elders of Self-Identity-of-I. The closer to 50 I aged, the less I attributed "belief" toward this teaching.

Age 52 I started entertaining The Flat Earth Theory and that rabbit hole pretty much vaped my "set" of beliefs beyond the most obvious (and even that is questionable now).

At 52 I make a few distinctions about a scale of words and meanings. Probably the only enduring experience I ever had was in the faith of intimate relationships. I think that faith is a function that is consciously absolute, whereas belief can be relative to the believer and believers. You can "believe" in gravity" (I don't) but not understand or really care because "gravity" doesn't come up much in a particular person's life.

You can believe in the right to bear arms (2nd Amendment) and never have owned or even seen a real gun.

So, from my current perspective "Faith=Absolute Acceptance of [whatever] is TRUE, and I don't need or require proof" "Belief however strong or weak is subject to change - you might have once believed in Santa, now you don't believe it is the source of toys, cheer, eggnog, etc. Students of NLP are taught that "belief is reality", so if you believe that the US Republic is a righteous system and participate in it regardless of the outcomes, you might believe at your core "It is not a perfect system, but it is the best system I know of..."

I generally don't know what is true beyond the current moment and in that moment I'm unsure of what is real, Real, REAL or how to figure out what is real and what isn't. I doubt I am an Atheist, but I'm not even sure of that statement.

I don't think I'm confused, I think I have concluded that there is so much information available now that you can believe-disbelieve in anything, everything,nothing or a combination of some or all of the three.

I found this board surfing for concepts and information about "faith". I was curious if I could find anything I might be able to achieve blind faith too. The best I've come up with so far is "Life", but I have already found that to be too general and death unmakes sense of life - the "death is just walking through a doorway to another [enter some creative concept here]." I'm clear that I don't know that, and the only reason I would believe in it would be to try to join the common man in not going crazy because I don't have a clue about what happens after death - since "nothing" is on the list of possibilities, thinking about it is not very fulfilling.

One more thing (is this too long of an introduction?) - the word "care" shows up in the meta-concept of "faith" and "belief". I care about some people, some events or context but generally I don't care about most people or contexts and I don't even know how to care about most events, contexts or people.

Summarizing: I currently have no absolute faith (consciously), I do my best not to believe in anything but the most basic functions of what I can experience. "I believe I breath air", "I believe the sun makes/increases the heat on our flat earth or not flat earth." I don't know how the process of those two beliefs work so since I believe in something I can't really explain or accept an explanation of - I suppose at least those two beliefs lie between "faith" and "belief" for me at this moment.

It is my frame of reference that Atheists do believe in an absence of the Divine. I do not consider this a lack of belief, but a specific belief in a meta-context. This belief (which I know almost nothing about) allows space in an Atheist's mind at some point to ponder other things besides the absence of a or multiple divine being(s).

End of my short Introduction.

brane
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2016, 02:21 AM
RE: What brane thinks
Howdy, Brane.

I can honestly say I believe that I'm glad I don't live in your head! That wore me out. Keep life simple. It's much more fun that way.

Hope you enjoy your stay!
13-08-2016, 02:59 AM
(13-08-2016 02:21 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Howdy, Brane.

I can honestly say I believe that I'm glad I don't live in your head! That wore me out. Keep life simple. It's much more fun that way.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the welcome TDO. I'm a pretty simple guy, my most honest answers to most questions = "I don't know". Perhaps I could simplify that just by remaining silent - whats the point of expression if its always the same thing - "IDK".

Peace
13-08-2016, 06:16 AM
Welcome...

Have a beer, lighten up, and get laid once in a while, willya????

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Welcome to TTA.
"I don't know" is a perfectly reasonable answer. A specific belief is not required.
If you'd like to get further input, try starting a thread in one of the discussion forums.
13-08-2016, 01:04 PM
G'day Brane, and welcome to the forum. Smile

You've certainly discovered, considered and/or condemned a lot of life tenets haven't you? I'm not sure (yet) that I can offer you my considered opinion as I'm not exactly certain as to what sort of personal conclusions you're drawing.

Will look forward to you further developing them—maybe point by point?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
13-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Hey Brane. What do you want to do tonight?

[Image: 170px-PinkyandtheBrain.Pinky.png]

Welcome to the forum.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
13-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Hello! Big Grin
13-08-2016, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2016 10:48 PM by ResidentEvilFan.)
As a recovering CoCer, what were the "wrong questions" you asked?

Also do you happen to be a fan of the Free Beer and Hot Wings Show?