What can I ask this Mormon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 10:04 AM
RE: What can I ask this Mormon?
(18-02-2015 09:47 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  ^beautiful. Also I've already asked about some of those other questions/contradictions posted. when I get time I'll post what he said to some. Very "hand wavy" it involves Pangea and "well that was then this is now" etc.

religious apologists quickly learn the art of tap dancing, it is the only way they can convince themselves it isn't the total BS lie it appears to be.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
18-02-2015, 10:53 AM
(18-02-2015 08:50 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 08:34 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Ask him if when he went on a mission he had to leave the bathroom door open to make sure he wasn't in there wanking off.

Is that actually a thing they do?

I heard it on the TTA podcast with Ryan Cragun (former mormon who went on a mission). The podcast is actually really interesting.
18-02-2015, 11:23 AM
(18-02-2015 10:04 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  religious apologists quickly learn the art of tap dancing, it is the only way they can convince themselves it isn't the total BS lie it appears to be.

I was startlingly proficient at it in my early twenties. My roommate at the time sounds a lot like I do now. He was amazingly patient.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
18-02-2015, 04:04 PM
(18-02-2015 11:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 10:04 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  religious apologists quickly learn the art of tap dancing, it is the only way they can convince themselves it isn't the total BS lie it appears to be.

I was startlingly proficient at it in my early twenties. My roommate at the time sounds a lot like I do now. He was amazingly patient.

Funny how hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? I was quite good at selling the kool aid as well Tongue

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
18-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Ask about Kolab.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
18-02-2015, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 08:15 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
What can I ask this Mormon?
It's all tap dancing. I couldn't believe it when he said Pangea. I asked why are the rest of the stories set in the Middle East and the book of Mormon is in the United States. He tried saying the flood which was easily debunked. Then he said it could've been caused the migration from Pangea. Then I asked isn't it easier to just take the story as a metaphor like some of the other ones... as opposed to resorting all the way back to Pangea (also he said there's no true time periods a year in the books don't necessarily mean a year...it's whatever they thought a year was) he proceeded to say "well there's a lot we don't know about the past. It could've happened some other way we don't know about"

That's not the word for word convo but the jist of it and that's only one convo

I just sat there nodding my head. I hoped he would see how ridiculous it sounds but nope. I'm not interested in changing his mind, but I am interested to hear what he personally thinks. Mind blown

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
19-02-2015, 01:54 PM
(18-02-2015 08:12 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  It's all tap dancing. I couldn't believe it when he said Pangea. I asked why are the rest of the stories set in the Middle East and the book of Mormon is in the United States. He tried saying the flood which was easily debunked. Then he said it could've been caused the migration from Pangea. Then I asked isn't it easier to just take the story as a metaphor like some of the other ones... as opposed to resorting all the way back to Pangea (also he said there's no true time periods a year in the books don't necessarily mean a year...it's whatever they thought a year was) he proceeded to say "well there's a lot we don't know about the past. It could've happened some other way we don't know about"

That's not the word for word convo but the jist of it and that's only one convo

I just sat there nodding my head. I hoped he would see how ridiculous it sounds but nope. I'm not interested in changing his mind, but I am interested to hear what he personally thinks. Mind blown

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Oh I love dismantling Mormonism, it is more fun than xtianity, and sooooo easy. Drooling Only thing easier to rip apart is scientology Blink

19-02-2015, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2015 10:22 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
oh yeah if you have a very strong revelation saying one thing and the "prophets" of the church have a revelation saying its wrong, your revelation is revoked. What the church/prophets say goes.

There's lots of prophets they are the ones who know god exists and choose to "follow in his footsteps". They must first pass a test though.

you can only go to hell if you know god exists and you deliberately don't "follow in his footsteps"

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
19-02-2015, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2015 10:20 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
....and God doesn't do this anymore, but back in those times it's "true" that he used to make people's skin darker depending on how good they were. White people were punished by being made into native americans or blacks. The darker the skin the worse the person was

19-02-2015, 10:19 PM
oh yeah and i forgot exactly how he said it, but Joseph Smith was accused of being a con-artist but it was a set up