What can I do about phone harrassment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2012, 02:13 PM
What can I do about phone harrassment?
Can I report this to the garda? Will they do something about it? It's not threats or anything, just obscene messages and it's escalating the more I ignore it.

Or should I just have someone call him and threaten him?
Can I block the phone number somehow?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2012, 02:16 PM
RE: What can I do about phone harrassment?
(20-02-2012 02:13 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Can I block the phone number somehow?
Your operator or phone manufacturer should be able to answer that...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
20-02-2012, 02:21 PM
it all depends on where you live.

Why are you being harassed and in what manner is the harassment?

In most cases the police won't do anything at all unless there are threats which at least in Canada, are illegal. However you should be able to block his number with the phone company and I'd imagine if the harassment continued after that step was taken the police might constitute that as a threat in and of itself.

Having someone else call and threaten him is also a feasible option, but only if you have no intention of police involvement and you aren't worried about potential escalation.

One lie parents used to tell their kids was that if you stand up to a bully they will back down. that is almost never the case. Usually the bully will become disconcerted and potentially more aggressive. Be wary and prepared.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2012, 02:29 PM
So far it's just obscene messages, describing in graphic detail some sexual activities which I shall be polite and not repeat. But his wording isn't threatening, he just seems to be suggesting things. So I'm not sure I can report this as a threat.
I haven't saved all the messages. Just the last one, so I am not sure I have enough evidence of harassment.

I will call the phone company first thing in the morning and get him blocked. In the meantime, I'll try not to let it get to me.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
20-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Keep any and all messages he sends you, Either don't reply or ask him politely to stop it, Go to the police if it continues and you are worried about it, take the phone with you as proof.

Most phones you can block numbers from, you can also report it to your network and get the number barred through them.

I'm not sure but i think unwanted sexual messages can be seen as sexual harassment, which i'm sure you can take to the police.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
20-02-2012, 02:54 PM
(20-02-2012 02:29 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  So far it's just obscene messages, describing in graphic detail some sexual activities which I shall be polite and not repeat. But his wording isn't threatening, he just seems to be suggesting things. So I'm not sure I can report this as a threat.
I haven't saved all the messages. Just the last one, so I am not sure I have enough evidence of harassment.

I will call the phone company first thing in the morning and get him blocked. In the meantime, I'll try not to let it get to me.

I think your decision to call the phone company is a good idea. They certainly have had these sorts of situations before. You don't want to ignore something like this and hope it won't escalate.

Then, if anyone here is savvy enough to hack phone number information, maybe our TTA Sargent At Arms can make a personal visit to "persuade" this jackwagon to disappear for good.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-02-2012, 05:58 AM
After about an hour on hold, this is sorted.

Many thanks for your advice.

[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
21-02-2012, 01:25 PM
If you want. You could give me his number and I will scar him for life.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
21-02-2012, 07:15 PM
(21-02-2012 01:25 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  If you want. You could give me his number and I will scar him for life.

Please do that and record it and then post it here? Pleeeease?

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post